• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Better "Anti-Social" shotguns today? Beretta, Benelli, other?

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
I have short CQB-friendly Pump-actions covered for contact distance encounters. Today, I really need to investigate the current crop of premium semi-auto combat shotguns.

I hear a lot of 'Mall Ninjas" talk about the Benelli M-4 but I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm initially thinking of a Beretta 1301 but, I hear the new A300 Patrol is good too. Then there are the custom options from shops like Wilson Combat. With the Remington bankruptcy with Freedom Group, I'm not considering a worked over 1187 today. I expect to spend more than $1,000 and would like to stay under $2,000. NFA is an option but, I really think I should stay away from tax stamps for this purchase.

Basically, I want to 'pay once and cry once' so trying to cheap out a few hundred dollars and having buyer's remorse that I didn't get something else is also a consideration since these are so expensive.

I live in a rural part of Texas and I'm about a 1/4 mile from the public road. Since I moved here, two animal hoarders have moved in and I have been attacked by dogs three times so, these days I am generally armed when doing chores or outside in general. The Meth House burned to the ground from Arson after the Meth Head was evicted.

Typically I have been using a rifle which is great for shooting dogs at 200 yards but, fields of fire are pretty restrictive with other people living in the area and livestock in adjacent pastures. I think a shotgun with appropriate loads is really a better option for me these days so, here I am. Basically, I want a quality shotgun that is capable of really rapid fire without disrupting my aim excessively and limiting my lethal range a bit. I'm thinking I will want to keep effective stopping power to about 50 yards with power falling off afterward either through physics, hitting the ground, etc. while still retaining good lethality when closer in. In my Pump shotgun, I am primarily running Hornady Coyote BB loads right now but, I have run #4, #1, and 00 Buck in the past generally in low recoil formats.

So, who runs a "social" shotgun today, and what recommendations do people have for me?

TIA,
Sid

1301 if you have the funds to trick it out.
A300 patrol if you want to save some money.

These are pretty much the only options I would consider today.

A 1301 from Langdon is on my wish list but honestly I don’t have a use for it lol.

OP likes to shoot dogs and mysteriously burn houses down... Must be a retired ATF glowie... 🤔

Not AFT.jpg

1301. Expect to pay $1500’ish
1301, cycles faster than the 300 and is a little more expensive. Worth the money IMO.
M4 is kinda cool but more money, heavier and more felt recoil IMO.

Reactions: Sid Post
I have a 1301 and a Turknelli (Benelli clone made in Turkey). I like and shoot the 1301 more. A couple of reasons. One 1301 has traditional shotgun stock, whereas the Turknelli has a pistol grip stock. As someone who's spent some time shooting traditional shotguns I find it shoulders more naturally. Also, the trigger is better. Also reloads are much faster. And probably cycles a hair quicker. Mine is not the tactical model, so traditional front and mid-bead sights. I also find these quicker than the more tactical sights if you are shooting close in (25 yards and in). However, I think tactical sights would be more accurate and a red dot more accurate and faster if you are shooting out to 50 yards.

1301. Expect to pay $1500’ish
1301, cycles faster than the 300 and is a little more expensive. Worth the money IMO.
M4 is kinda cool but more money, heavier and more felt recoil IMO.

The Benelli M4 seems heavy from the specs which might be good for recoil management. However, the manual of arms seems a bit much for most people. I'm sure it is a good shotgun but, I don't really understand it and the need for its special features in a non-military context.

So, why the "combat" shotgun. If your concern is dogs, etc and not kicking in doors in an urban environment, then any shotgun will do. Pumps will be fine (think Rem 870) or if you want an automatic, just pick one. Its not like you are looking for a high volume, high reliability, shotgun for shooting hundreds of rounds at clay targets in a weekend, right?

To my mind, far more important is getting it to fit you and practicing so you can mount and shoot accurately.

Reactions: Evintos
I have a 1301 and a Turknelli (Benelli clone made in Turkey). I like and shoot the 1301 more. A couple of reasons. One 1301 has traditional shotgun stock, whereas the Turknelli has a pistol grip stock. As someone who's spent some time shooting traditional shotguns I find it shoulders more naturally. Also, the trigger is better. Also reloads are much faster. And probably cycles a hair quicker. Mine is not the tactical model, so traditional front and mid-bead sights. I also find these quicker than the more tactical sights if you are shooting close in (25 yards and in). However, I think tactical sights would be more accurate and a red dot more accurate and faster if you are shooting out to 50 yards.
I have used Ghost Ring sights on an old Remington shotgun and like them VERY MUCH! These are a definite 'desirement' for me. A RDS or Reflex is probably a good idea too but, on a tractor or rifle rack in a UTV or pickup would likely be covered in dust. If it was propped up beside my nightstand in my bedroom, an electronic sight would be an obvious thing to add.

If I can't hit a paper plate size target at ~50 yards with iron sights I need more practice!

Reactions: tbwillis
It makes me laugh to hear all of the SH version of Fudds jump on this guy for being straight up and saying what his need was. If he had said he was getting ready to compete in 3-Gun and needed this, all would have been copacetic. But, instead we do what we do best here and that is make wise cracks and put people through the wringer when we have little constructive to offer.

🙄🤣

So, why the "combat" shotgun. If your concern is dogs, etc and not kicking in doors in an urban environment, then any shotgun will do. Pumps will be fine (think Rem 870) or if you want an automatic, just pick one. Its not like you are looking for a high volume, high reliability, shotgun for shooting hundreds of rounds at clay targets in a weekend, right?

To my mind, far more important is getting it to fit you and practicing so you can mount and shoot accurately.

I'm not a professional 'door kicker' but, I'll take any edge I can get to avoid being a chew toy or snack for 3 or more dogs. Pack behavior in a rural environment is NOT the same as someone's mistreated pet in a backyard in Suburbia!

I have a pump shotgun now which is working well for killing Water Moccasins and Beavers but, is not something I want when being attacked by dogs!

In terms of proper mounting and fit, combat shotguns typically have adjustments to fix any reasonable fit issues. If under time pressure from multiple dogs, I don't want manually run a pump while managing recoil. For normal singular encounters where only one round is needed or, multiple rounds over a reasonable time interval makes more sense to personally. I have two Remington 870 pumps now and, normally run a Benelli Nova tactical pump without any NFA paperwork, and each has its place!

A really short 870 makes a great snake charger! Being able to stow it in a small backpack or sling it across my chest is nice too! The other is a shortish pump but, with paperwork I don't want to just "leave it" hanging in a rifle rack on a tractor or UTV. The Benelli Nova fits this role much better at the moment.

It makes me laugh to hear all of the SH version of Fudds jump on this guy for being straight up and saying what his need was. If he had said he was getting ready to compete in 3-Gun and needed this, all would have been copacetic. But, instead we do what we do best here and that is make wise cracks and put people through the wringer when we have little constructive to offer.

🙄🤣
Thanks! There are a lot of distracting postings here that miss the mark of my original post. Perhaps asking a shotgun question on a forum like this is a waste of my time.

In the past, this forum really helped out with a top-flight bolt action rifle acquisition and some optics. A 4x ACOG was not the choice I expected to go to with my KAC LPR but, damn, that thing has smoked so many dogs I have honestly lost count and it has simply worked out great in my application!

1301 if you have the funds to trick it out.
A300 patrol if you want to save some money.

These are pretty much the only options I would consider today.

A 1301 from Langdon is on my wish list but honestly I don’t have a use for it lol.
Thanks!

What does the Langon 1301 offer over a stock version? What practical features does it add?

About the only thing I can think of, at the moment, that might need attention is the Plus 2 shell capacity and possibly a good light mount. Am I overlooking anything else?

Are you carrying the shotgun often? If so, is weight an issue?
Do you require choke tubes to pattern your shot or are you ok with testing loads to find which one produces the best patterns out of the specific shotgun barrel?
Do you require the ability to mount accessories (lights, sling)?
Do you have an odd body type or have clothing that would inhibit proper mounting of a shotgun and require fitting?
Would you like to SBS in the future?
What's your budget? Accessories for certain semi-auto shotguns (like the Benelli M4) are expensive.

The usual recommendations I would give for semi-auto shotguns in that "combat shotgun" category would be -

Beretta 1301
Benelli M2
Benelli M4
Stoeger M3000 Freedom

Reactions: Barry in IN
I picked up a 1301 Comp 21" after reading 65+ pages of 3-gunners putting 1,000's of rounds through them on the Enos forum. Light, fast, reliable, and slings bird, buck, and slugs well. Price is reasonable and aftermarket parts are catching up. I picked up a Mesa stock to try it with a pistol grip, but I think I prefer the factory stock. I also put on a Nordic Mag Extension and HIVIZ Tricomp Front Bead.
0172a841d57005150b0c01cd399316d6a25924b4cc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: XP1K and lash
I’ve shot a friend’s Benelli M4, and I own a Beretta 1301. This is subjective, but I liked the recoil impulse on the 1301 better than the M4. I don’t shoot shotguns often enough AND have the disposable income to justify the price of the M4. If something changes, I’d pick one up in a heartbeat.

From the couple hundred rounds I’ve put through it, my 1301 has cycled all but the very lightest of birdshot, and it might run those after it’s been shot more.

When looking at different models, you might also consider how important 922(r) compliance is because I think there might be a 1301 made here that comes with a factory extended magazine tube.

A “firearm” I’ve been interested in is the Remington V3 Tac 13. It’s like a Mossberg Shockwave or Remington 870 Tac 14, but it’s semi auto. OAL is around 26.5,” and I think it holds 5+1. With all of Remington’s issues, I’d like to give them some time out on the market to prove themselves, but it looks like production has restarted, so you can find them closer to $1,000-1,100 instead of the $1,500+ scalper prices on Gunbroker.

leaving out all the other stuff an m4 would make for a great shotgun . personally I like the m3 convertable it's semi auto and when you turn the switch it's a pump I love having choices when they are that sexy .

Reactions: XP1K and lash
Thanks!

What does the Langon 1301 offer over a stock version? What practical features does it add?

About the only thing I can think of, at the moment, that might need attention is the Plus 2 shell capacity and possibly a good light mount. Am I overlooking anything else?
now that the 1301 tactical comes with the extended mag tube already, there is a smaller package of mods available.
mostly it is magpul furniture with the adapter to use the magpul stock, and a custom rdm mount that works with the ghost ring sights.

i opted to just run the magpul furniture and a pro style lifter.
if you want to keep spare rounds on your gun, most people i know have been opting for velcro cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
I like the M4, I got a screaming deal on one years ago. Broke it in with 1oz sporting clays loads, had a few failures early but it broke in pretty quick. My clay shooting friends tried it and really liked how soft it shot, they have all been through various Benelli inertia guns and Beretta gas guns.

I’ve upgraded mine to a full length tube and done some other 922r stuff to it. Not sure I would choose it again if I had to pay the price difference it has over the 1301.

• Love
Reactions: Sid Post and lash
Are you carrying the shotgun often? If so, is weight an issue?

Yes, generally anytime I am outside for any significant time period so, I'd say generally 6 days a week. If not a shotgun or rifle, I let my pistol provide a stopgap with CCW.

Excessive weight is an issue but, reasonable shotgun weights are fine with me. Basically, I don't want a huge amount of muzzle weight or weight-forward bias. This applies to rifles as well. My KAC LPR hits a real sweet spot with a lightweight can attached.

Adding a thermal to my LWRC Six8 feral hog killer is like dragging an 80# sack of concrete around!

Do you require choke tubes to pattern your shot or are you ok with testing loads to find which one produces the best patterns out of the specific shotgun barrel?

Buying extra choke tubes is a don't care. I'd rate that with buying new wiper blades for my pickup. I would be interested in a Vangcomp choke though. Really works well with buckshot but, opens up a bit much for #4's IMHO so, best with 00 or #1 Buck.

Yes, I pattern-test my shotguns and buy chokes as needed.

Do you require the ability to mount accessories (lights, sling)?

I don't want to load it up with a lot of crap but, I do want a sling and a side-saddle shell carrier. I will want the ability to run a light.

Do you have an odd body type or have clothing that would inhibit proper mounting of a shotgun and require fitting?

No, mounting a shotgun is not a problem assuming the stock is the right length. Modern stocks with spacers make this a non-issue but, some older shotguns and rifles are a little long. I'm 5'6" so I don't have the reach of someone 6'2".

Generally, I'm in T-shirt so, no hangups there. Wintertime with a coat needs a tweak to hold it off my jacket until I pull it into the pocket. Now that the meth-heads and doper have left, I'm not wearing my body armor normally but, it never interfered with my rifle since it is trim and compact.

Would you like to SBS in the future?

Don't want to add another stamp for this one. And I don't see any additional SBS options in my future.

What's your budget? Accessories for certain semi-auto shotguns (like the Benelli M4) are expensive.

I would like to keep it under $2K setup and ready to run. However, I could spend more if there is a real reason. The Cow/calf pair lost last year were worth more than this shotgun.

The usual recommendations I would give for semi-auto shotguns in that "combat shotgun" category would be -

Beretta 1301
Benelli M2
Benelli M4
Stoeger M3000 Freedom

I am leaning towards the Beretta 1301 because of the BLIS system. The M4 seems to be tailored to operations that won't resemble mine so, that and the additional cost are an initial turn-off but, I also don't know that platform very well.

An SBS Benelli M2 is the most likely SBS option for me today.

The Beretta 1301 also would not attract as much attention from neighbors or passers-by that see it so, that points me in that direction. A Benelli M2 SBS would be pretty high profile which I could deal with but, would prefer not to.

I like the M4, I got a screaming deal on one years ago. Broke it in with 1oz sporting clays loads, had a few failures early but it broke in pretty quick. My clay shooting friends tried it and really liked how soft it shot, they have all been through various Benelli inertia guns and Beretta gas guns.

I’ve upgraded mine to a full length tube and done some other 922r stuff to it. Not sure I would choose it again if I had to pay the price difference it has over the 1301.

Awesome comment!

@Sid Post
With your criteria, I would say either the Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol + accessories (optic, sling, flashlight) which should be well under the $2k soft limit or the Beretta 1301 however the 1301 accessories (which would likely put you very close to the limit or slightly over).

The LOP for both of those shotguns are shorter (at 13") and would likely fit you better than any of the other shotguns. The bonus of the 1301 is that you can buy an adapter to put a Magpul 590 stock on it that can shorten the LOP even further to around 12". Not possible at the moment for the A300 Ultima Patrol due to the recoil spring assembly being inside the stock.

A couple of areas where the 1301 is lacking is the OEM stock sling mount (sling stud) and forend (lack of ability to solidly mount accessories). You're looking at +$200 to $300 for a aftermarket handguard. The included polymer MLOK/QD magazine clamp that comes with the both 1301 and A300 Ultima Patrol is garbage (imo) and comes loose very often.

Both have interchangeable choke tube barrels (assuming you don't purchase the fixed choke LEO models), so although not a requirement, a definite bonus feature.

The A300 Ultima patrol already has velcro on the receiver for the velcro style shotgun cards. Easy to add for the 1301.

Both are lighter weight than the Benelli M4.

A300 operating system is a late 1980's early 1990's era Beretta semiauto shotgun operating system, very well developed and proven. Blink is a newer over a decade old now system and very well developed and proven. A300 Ultima Patrol was really made to work well with the Federal buckshot and the Blink was designed to eat pretty much every type of ammo.

Country of origin (in case this matters) -
A300 Ultima Patrol - mostly made in Tennessee, the barrel is made in the Stoeger factory in Turkiye.
1301 - Made in Italy, imported to the US and have 922r compliant parts (for the 7+1).

Last edited:
Don't discount the old classic 1201 if you can find a really good deal on a used one.
Just keep your fingers the hell out of the ejection port...

Okay, just to be clear on the Bereta 1301, I don't have to worry about adding USA content for compliance reasons because that is already done by Beretta?

@Sid Post
With your criteria, I would say either the Beretta A300 Ultima Patrol + accessories (optic, sling, flashlight) which should be well under the $2k soft limit or the Beretta 1301 however the 1301 accessories (which would likely put you very close to the limit or slightly over).

Thanks! I don't have to have all the extras the moment my new shotgun shows up so, the Beretta 1301 is easily within range it looks like. A flashlight for example is easy to put off since I have other "nightstand" options. To be blunt, if in my bedroom at night getting ready to go to sleep or I'm awakened at night, whoever or whatever it is going to see the muzzle of my rifle if they can see past my Modlite.

Around the chicken coop looking for Raccoons, Opossums, dogs, etc. would be better with a shotgun generally but, I have ambient lighting support so not a huge deal.

I looked into shotguns a while back, spent hours (at work of course) browsing forums and came to the conclusion the Beretta 1301 was the clear best choice.

Since then the A300 Ultima has come out and is probably worth considering but in many ways is just a different 1301.

I've since backed off on the shotgun shooting so never actually picked one up. But if I were in your shoes I'd get a 1301 (18.5 or 21") and mount a red dot.
I'm sure if the gun fits you well the red dot won't be necessary but I'd add one of the funds are available.

I am far from tactical, but have been hunting things with wings for a very long time, and thus have qualified opinions on shotguns.

Benelli is going to have higher perceived recoil. It has a SLIGHT advantage in ability to cycle in the worst of the worst conditions. However, that applies to heavier loads; it has a SLIGHT disadvantage on dependability with light 2 3/4 target loads. Up to you if that matters, but I bet 98% of all shells shot by all people is birdshot regardless of stated mission.

Beretta (my favorite) is smoother and more fun to shoot. In the worst of the worst conditions, having that bolt return spring up around the magazine (1301) is more desirable than having it in the stock (300.) Splitting hairs for a low round count gun.

I have used Ghost Ring sights on an old Remington shotgun and like them VERY MUCH! These are a definite 'desirement' for me. A RDS or Reflex is probably a good idea too but, on a tractor or rifle rack in a UTV or pickup would likely be covered in dust. If it was propped up beside my nightstand in my bedroom, an electronic sight would be an obvious thing to add.

If I can't hit a paper plate size target at ~50 yards with iron sights I need more practice!
Yes, if you're shooting slugs at 50 yards ghost ring rear and post up front will be more accurate. A dot will be even faster. And I'm pretty sure you can get a 1301 in this configuration. Plus, as someone else has mentioned I believe the new 1301's come with an extended mag tube. Shouldn't underestimate the value of this feature. One of the problems with semi-auto shotgun vs. something like an AR is limited ammo capacity. And fast reloads can be challenging without a fair amount of practice. Given your scenario of multiple dogs coming at you having even 2-3 extra rounds in the tube is a good thing.

My preference for a traditional stock and beads is probably somewhat idiosyncratic. For the last 4+ years I've been shooting a lot of trap - in some years as many as 10,000 rounds. Most trap guns have traditional stocks a mid bead and a bead on the end. Having so many repetitions with this set up it is just faster and more natural for me. And if I were to use my 1301 for HD it would be with 00 buckshot and for 20-25 yards and in. Any further out and the shot pattern opens up too much. For distances of 25-100 yards I'd use a short barreled AR15 with a suppressor. Yes, you're giving up some stopping power, but you're getting 30 round capacity and ability to do quick mag changes, better accuracy, far less recoil, less concussion and less weight.

Also, someone mentioned Vang Comp. My understanding is that they specialize in significantly tightening up the pattern is a variety of shotguns - which I think can be quite valuable. However, advances in shotgun ammo can get you 60-70% of the way there (rough estimate) without the expense of them working their magic on your barrel. Using ammo like Federal Flight Control can definitely tighten up your patterns.

Okay, just to be clear on the Bereta 1301, I don't have to worry about adding USA content for compliance reasons because that is already done by Beretta?
For the newer 1301 Tactical Gen 2s that have a factory one piece 7+1 capacity magazine tube, yes - 922r compliant, no need to add USA made parts, already done by Beretta. Model codes have two 'T's' - J131TT18C (interchangeable choke, field stock), J131TT18NLE (fixed choke).

J131TP18C has the Mesa tactical pistol grip stock (the letter P is the Mesa Tactical pistol grip stock). The older ones were a 5+1 tube that came with a Nordic +2 extension but the newer ones come with the one piece 7+1 capacity magazine tube. Both are 922r compliant.

Older Gen 2's that have 5+1 capacity (if you can find them) are not 922r compliant. Model codes have a single 'T'. J131T18C (Black), J131T18F (FDE), J131T18M (Marine), J131T18G (OD Green)

Reactions: Sid Post and lash
My personal grail shotgun is an M3 Super 90 (semi/pump mode selection) because of the flexibility.

For buying new, I'll second the 1301 or an A300 Ultima Patrol, both are fantastic. M4 is nice but the problem is finding parts, as benelli hasn't been very forthcoming with most of the tactical parts to civilian channels.

Benelli M-4 but I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze.
I don't think so. I finally broke down and bought one a couple years ago now to finally find out for myself. My feeling is... "Eh".
Of course I kept throwing more and more money at it hoping to make me like it more, all I did was make it unsellable.

Every time I started working towards buying a 1301 for that same reason ("just to see"), I ended up buying another used Benelli instead.

I'd say I'd take one of my M2's over all the others, but other than being a better true set up match "race gun", I have an SBE with two barrels that does everything I need as well.

IMG_0571.JPG

I set it up to be a backup turkey gun and backup match gun. A job at which it was wonderful.... ever so briefly. And then I bought an SBE2 and its turkey job went away. I stopped shooting multigun and mostly stoped shooting shotgun matches, so my need for a back gun dwindled. (I may have also bought one (cough) or four more M1/M2s., so, yeah)

Last edited:
Come on now, it's cutting edge late 80's tech! Miles better than the SPAS. :D I know, that's setting the bar kind of low.
It's sort of searching for a problem these days. I have been slightly tempted, simply because I DON'T own one, but I know an M3 wouldn't get used, and they go for too much now just to sit and fill a spot.

I am far from tactical, but have been hunting things with wings for a very long time, and thus have qualified opinions on shotguns.

Beretta (my favorite) is smoother and more fun to shoot. In the worst of the worst conditions, having that bolt return spring up around the magazine (1301) is more desirable than having it in the stock (300.) Splitting hairs for a low round count gun.

Your opinion is consistent with most experienced shotgun shooters across multiple shooting disciplines I have encountered over the years. For the reasons you stated, I tend to favor the Beretta BLIS system over Benelli but, the differences aren't huge to me.

Regarding birdshot, I shoot very little of that. I can point to cases of Buckshot and slugs and the only birdshot I have purchased recently was for Water Moccasins in a short shotgun and possibly a Beaver if I got the chance. Since that purchase of a few boxes, I got two cases of Hornady copper BB Coyote loads for that usage. Over my lifetime, the vast majority of my shooting has NOT been birdshot. I do tend to keep some birdshot on hand so curious people can shoot my shotgun without burning expensive ammo or getting slapped around due to bad technique.

Yes, if you're shooting slugs at 50 yards ghost ring rear and post up front will be more accurate. A dot will be even faster. And I'm pretty sure you can get a 1301 in this configuration. Plus, as someone else has mentioned I believe the new 1301's come with an extended mag tube. Shouldn't underestimate the value of this feature. One of the problems with semi-auto shotgun vs. something like an AR is limited ammo capacity. And fast reloads can be challenging without a fair amount of practice. Given your scenario of multiple dogs coming at you having even 2-3 extra rounds in the tube is a good thing.

No arguments there. After some experience and break-in, I will start looking for some good shotgun instruction. I can also use what Bill Taggert taught me to deal with the slow reload situation with time and practice just like I did with drawing my Glock from a holster to tear the X out of the target. His methods really worked well for me.

My preference for a traditional stock and beads is probably somewhat idiosyncratic. For the last 4+ years I've been shooting a lot of trap - in some years as many as 10,000 rounds. Most trap guns have traditional stocks a mid bead and a bead on the end. Having so many repetitions with this set up it is just faster and more natural for me. And if I were to use my 1301 for HD it would be with 00 buckshot and for 20-25 yards and in. Any further out and the shot pattern opens up too much. For distances of 25-100 yards I'd use a short barreled AR15 with a suppressor. Yes, you're giving up some stopping power, but you're getting 30 round capacity and ability to do quick mag changes, better accuracy, far less recoil, less concussion and less weight.

Hornady Coyote Loads will work well out to 50 yards in an appropriate choke. Closer in, I'll take #1 Buck in a Flight Control wad.

Also, someone mentioned Vang Comp. My understanding is that they specialize in significantly tightening up the pattern is a variety of shotguns - which I think can be quite valuable. However, advances in shotgun ammo can get you 60-70% of the way there (rough estimate) without the expense of them working their magic on your barrel. Using ammo like Federal Flight Control can definitely tighten up your patterns.

For me, the Vangcomp improved the pattern of Buckshot significantly. It is the only choke that really dealt with flyers from all the ammunition sources I tried. Other shotguns and chokes would have flyers but, not with the Vangcomp. Patterns also tended to be more uniform. The only way "tighter" is appropriate is that it eliminates flyers IMHO.

For the newer 1301 Tactical Gen 2s that have a factory one piece 7+1 capacity magazine tube, yes - 922r compliant, no need to add USA made parts, already done by Beretta. Model codes have two 'T's' - J131TT18C (interchangeable choke, field stock), J131TT18NLE (fixed choke).

J131TP18C has the Mesa tactical pistol grip stock (the letter P is the Mesa Tactical pistol grip stock). The older ones were a 5+1 tube that came with a Nordic +2 extension but the newer ones come with the one piece 7+1 capacity magazine tube. Both are 922r compliant.

Older Gen 2's that have 5+1 capacity (if you can find them) are not 922r compliant. Model codes have a single 'T'. J131T18C (Black), J131T18F (FDE), J131T18M (Marine), J131T18G (OD Green)

Awesome details! THANK YOU!

These two have Vang Comp 14" barrels. The VC treatment extends the forcing cone to allow a longer distance to shape the wad=pellet complex and 32 directional ports to mitigate shot-to-shot muzzle rise; VC strives for a 32 MOA pattern for their 18" barrels, i.e. 8" @ 25 yards.

Someone mentioned the semi-auto -pump Franchi SPAS 12. The most clumsey shotgun I have ever handled. An accessory shown is the 2-piece muzzle shot diverter device widening the lateral shot pattern 4:1, allowing getting several pigs / dogs in the same sight picture.

The SPAS 12 with the lever style safety was recalled as it could fire when the lever was toggling the safety to the Off position. Only shoot it with the cross bolt style trigger group.

IMG_0224Wilson Combat 14 Remington 870  ANNOTATED RIGHT SIDE copy 2.JPG
Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 7.04.38 AM.png
IMG_0499MOSSBERG 590 SHOCKWAVE ROMEO3 MAX RRS TRIPOD POOLSIDE 08.21.21 ANNOTATED copy 2.jpg
IMG_0502MOSSBERG 590 SHOCKWAVE ROMEO3 MAX RRS TRIPOD POOLSIDE 08.21.21 SERIAL NO REDACTED copy 2.jpg
IMG_5540aANNOTATEDFranchi SPAS-12 Photos 12.31.22 copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 7.28.34 AM.png

Thanks! The Beretta barrels are a little thin I think for the Vangcomp changes. Beretta makes really good shotgun barrels and chokes though so, not a huge concern. Any issues I might have are probably easily solved with a different Beretta choke.