• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Better entry level safe? Liberty Revolution or Cannon Scout

WxWatcher

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Norman, OK
Hi all. I know neither are a high end safe, but I have a tight budget since I lost my weekend job that gave us some breathing room in our monthly budget (trying to remain sub $800, sub $700 even better). I primarily want to keep things secure now that my young son is very mobile, and to keep everything together should a tornado take a walk over my property. I live fairly close to the local FD and they have a great response time, so not terribly worried about the lesser fire rating...Had a smoke detector tied to my alarm go off and FD was there in about 4 min.
I guess my biggest question between the two is how do the locking bars on the Liberty compare to the more traditional bolts on the Cannon's door? Thanks, as always.

Cant comment on the safe but dayum that's a nice quiver............kind of like nice firm Jello just waiting to be eaten.

If fire protection isn't a major concern (and the entry level ones suck at that anyway) an entry level safe is no better than a simple locker. We've seen time and time again were thieves simply cut the side of the safe out and gain access that way and within seconds. I've posted several videos on it in the past. Without re-typing everything, the take away point is that unless you're willing to spend $4K+ you really no better off than if you had simply bought a gun locker. Again, that is based on no consideration for fire protection and in that realm you're still only gaining a few minutes anyway and you have to pay a lot more for good fire protection but you can get good fire protection and still have a weak safe or you can get into the $4K+ range and get both.

If you aren't in a hurry look out for a used tool rated safe. Jewelry stores that go out of business are often happy to get rid of them for under $1000. You just have to move them.

I have a Liberty and Browning. I have electronic locks on both. The Browning motor went bad last week and I had to have it drilled and lock replaced this week. I think if I had it to do over I would get tumbler locks. Good luck on your safe purchase.

I've been looking at Steelwater safes. They appear to be a great value. Free delivery to your house also. Plus right now they are offering free dehumidifier and door organizer. A few guys and I in my shop have been comparing safes over the last few shifts. Check them out.