• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Better scale than the 123?

KNIGHT11B4

Core Shooting
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Everywhere
www.coreshooting.com
After years of loading a retarded number of rounds on my Acculab (Sartorius) 123, I have started to search for a better scale.

The 123 is more than accurate, my main complaint is drift and the need to rezero so often. I seem to remember that back when it was brand new I didn't have near as many issues with it. It seems that here recently it is taking entirely to long to load.

What I am looking for is a scale that offers comparable accuracy, but in a less finicky unit.

Any suggestions or experience?

BTW dont even say the dirty "P" word... Im resisting:confused the urge to sell and kidney and get one.

+1 having had the Gd503 and two Fx-120s...

But I can 't get under just over 2 rounds a minute (50 rounds just under 1 hour) if I measure kernel accurate.

338 thru 223... 338 and other mag rounds using H1000 on the slower side - those using Varget a bit faster.. The H1000 bridges in the necks more often than varget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My time study was done with h1000 and I accept error of +/- 2 kernels, which is +/- .04gr, though I'm usually within 1 kernel. I can load varget and others faster. I have a good system set up for speed. Most of my SDs measure ~7fps.

Thanks much for the input guys.

Looks like a great scale, should be at 1,400 bucks. At that price I would consider just going with a Prometheus.

I was hoping to find something better than the 123, but not over 1k. This is really making me lean towards the Pro.

Anyone else have any experience with good scales?

Sartorius AZ313 is excellent and scaleman has them on sale at $1057.50 right now. It's a magnetic force restoration balance, so response to trickling is quick and precise and will not drift on you. I was hesitant to pay such a high price for a balance, but I bought mine from a laboratory equipment auction site at a great price. After using it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at retail price. It really makes loading easy and produces extremely consistent loads.

Attachments

• IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Is the breeze break cover a must?

Debating whether or not to get that.

Its not, but there is less disturbance with it on. Just try to limit movement or breathing on it if you roll without one. The response time is very quick, so if you disturb the air around it the scale will settle right back down. Much different from a chargemaster.

Put up with the 123, get a Prometheus Gen 2, in the long run it will be cheaper, my wife was unhappy when I got mine, she changed her tune when my reloading time decreased dramatically.

Here's my set up. 3 charge masters reprogrammed to throw FAST 2 grains under. Then I use the omega trickler to top it off. Works like a charm. Can get A LOT of rounds loaded in a short period of time with incredible accuracy within .02 to .04 grains.

Last edited:
Where did you get the extra tall dust cover. They've got it listed for 145$ on the site link you put up. I got mine for like 465$ and I can't see paying 145$ for a few pieces of plastic.

It's not a few pieces of plastic, it's pretty darn nice. Rubber seal on bottom and two sides that slide open nicely as well as a top that opens if you'd like. I think it was $125, but then I only paid $400 for the scale - so prices are on the up a bit.

How do you deal with the charge masters different powder pan weights? Transfer them off to a different tared container?

Maybe from here? http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/and-fxi-11-large-draft-shield.html

I also bought a calibration weight from old will knott scales, so they'd ship together. I haven't had to use the calibration weight, other than the first time to make sure it was on. My powder "pan" always weighs the same.

Last edited:
It's not a few pieces of plastic, it's pretty darn nice. Rubber seal on bottom and two sides that slide open nicely as well as a top that opens if you'd like. I think it was $125, but then I only paid $400 for the scale - so prices are on the up a bit.

How do you deal with the charge masters different powder pan weights? Transfer them off to a different tared container?

Maybe from here? A&D Scales FXI-11 Large Draft Shield for the A&D FX-i Series

I also bought a calibration weight from old will knott scales, so they'd ship together. I haven't had to use the calibration weight, other than the first time to make sure it was on. My powder "pan" always weighs the same.

I have a few extra pans and I just use one of those as the sole pan for the F&X120. So I just run down the line on the chargemasters and carefully dump the powder from the CM to the FX120 and then trickle.

[MENTION=31259]Brasscow[/MENTION] Do you think it would be a good move to go ahead and buy the sealed taller dust cover? Obviously it would give me more room to maneuver. I've got the standard 4 windowed ( 4 plastic slides) with a top, but you can't do shit with it on. And you know as well as I do that if you even breath wrong it will start jumping when it's open. I've got 140$ coming from Kestrel for their upgrade program or whatever, I may just go ahead and order it if you think it's the right move for using the scale in conjunction with the omega.

[MENTION=31259]Brasscow[/MENTION] Do you think it would be a good move to go ahead and buy the sealed taller dust cover? Obviously it would give me more room to maneuver. I've got the standard 4 windowed ( 4 plastic slides) with a top, but you can't do shit with it on. And you know as well as I do that if you even breath wrong it will start jumping when it's open. I've got 140$ coming from Kestrel for their upgrade program or whatever, I may just go ahead and order it if you think it's the right move for using the scale in conjunction with the omega.

I've actually never used mine without this big breeze-break, so I have nothing to compare it to. I can say that I maneuver around mine a bunch and it'll jump if I move in from the side quickly (which I only do when I'm not using it anyhow, like walking from one side of the room to the other along the edge of the counter), or it'll jump .02 or .04 when i reach in to grab my pan, but otherwise I don't have any problems with "disturbing" it.

If yours moves a bunch, I'd definitely pick it up, that would drive me crazy. I'm not bullshitting when i say I can charge 100rds in just over 20 minutes. That's with 50gr of H1000 in a 6 comp match (i.e. does bridge in neck).

I do have thousands of rounds of practice, though.