• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beware Hotel Scam Alert

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
For those of you that tend to travel a lot and stay at hotels, there is a new scam out there. Be wary. The following was sent to me via email:

This is one of the best scams I’ve heard about.
You arrive at your hotel and check in at the front desk. Typically when checking in, you give the front desk your credit card (for any charges to your room).
You go to your room and settle in. All is good.
The hotel receives a call and the caller asks for (as an example) room 620 - which happens to be your room.
The phone rings in your room. You answer and the person on the other end says the following: 'This is the front desk. When checking in, we came across a problem with your charge card information. Please re-read me your credit card number and verify the last 3 digits numbers at the reverse side of your charge card.'
Not thinking anything wrong, since the call seems to come from the front desk you oblige.
But actually, it is a scam by someone calling from outside the hotel.
They have asked for a random room number, then ask you for your credit card and address information.
They sound so professional, that you think you are talking to the front desk.
If you ever encounter this scenario on your travels, tell the caller that you will be down to the front desk to clear up any problems. Then, go to the front desk or call directly and ask if there was a problem.
If there was none, inform the manager of the hotel that someone tried to scam you of your credit card information, acting like a front desk employee.
This was sent by someone who has been duped........and is still cleaning up the mess.
P.S. Please, consider spreading the word by forwarding this e-mail (as a "bcc"!). Who knows, you might just help someone avoid a nasty experience.
ANYONE travelling should be aware of this one!

You mean I shouldn't give all my credit card info to someone over the telephone? Say it ain't so...

fuck you! I don't buy that shit in the mail. There's a little shop down on Division called.....oh, never mind.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad I came by this thread. I didn't know that such a scam existed! I'll be sharing this to my family and friends since we travel a lot. It's terrible how far scammers would go just to get their hands on other people's money.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad I came by this thread. I didn't know that such a scam existed! I'll be sharing this to my family and friends since we travel a lot. It's terrible how far scammers would go just to get their hands on other people's money.
Just an fyi but if there is a legit problem with your card the front desk simply calls and says there's an issue and asks you to come to the front desk. It's policy not to do things over the phone if you are already at the hotel. They also don't need the last three security numbers since they swipe the card.

That's how marriots are at least. I've had issues before with work cards and every time they simply ask you to come to the front desk when possible

By the way, I Googled that particular phone scam and 877-477-7441 - Hotel Credit Card Scam came up along with several complaints posted on a phone number. It's as you pointed out. The scammer calls the victim and poses as the hotel's manager or receptionist then asks for the victim's CC info. Wow! I'm surprised that I just learned about this scam now. The earliest post at Callercenter dated way back 25th of October in 2011!!!

Just an fyi but if there is a legit problem with your card the front desk simply calls and says there's an issue and asks you to come to the front desk. It's policy not to do things over the phone if you are already at the hotel. They also don't need the last three security numbers since they swipe the card.

That's how marriots are at least. I've had issues before with work cards and every time they simply ask you to come to the front desk when possible

I know that much already but I really appreciate the info. I'm afraid that if someone gives me a call and claims to be the hotel's receptionist and asks for my CC for accommodation charges, I'm afraid I'd comply right away. If I didn't know that scam existed, I'd never think it's suspicious. I'm the type who does what's being asked just to avoid problems.

I know that much already but I really appreciate the info. I'm afraid that if someone gives me a call and claims to be the hotel's receptionist and asks for my CC for accommodation charges, I'm afraid I'd comply right away. If I didn't know that scam existed, I'd never think it's suspicious. I'm the type who does what's being asked just to avoid problems.
Haha I'm the opposite. I hate talking on phones so I go do thing in person whenever possible

I didn't know that such a scam existed! I'll be sharing this to my family and friends since we travel a lot.

jesus-facepalm.jpg