• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Beware of Frontier/Hornady ammunition quality control - pics inside

Fenix Mike

Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Tulsa, OK
I will start by saying this... ive been a HUGE Hornady supporter since day 1. I use their duty ammo on duty, their bullets for reloading, and their factory ammo for most calibers I run. I had decent luck with the Frontier ammo in the past, so I ordered 500 rounds of the 75 Gr OTM Match 223 for my Knights LPR. I had 5 other kinds of ammo out with me that day as well, so I only brought a box of each to see what the rifle liked best... When I opened the Hornady box, I was a bit annoyed to find two FMJ rounds stuck in the box with 18 OTM rounds. I contacted Hornady, they basically said ammo is fine, go shoot it. Obviously I figured it was safe to shoot, however I was more concerned with spending $14 a box and receiving $6 a box ammo mixed in. After emailing my concerns, they agreed to send me a box of comparable ammo, which was fine.

Fast forward to today, retesting with some new ammo I received recently, so I grabbed 2 more boxes of Frontier from my 500 round case. Sure enough, both boxes had FMJ mixed in. One box had 3 rounds, The other had 2 rounds. Now im a bit angry that quality control is complete crap. All from the same lot number, same brass, same looking crimp, etc. So after shooting today, I got home and opened up all the boxes. Of the 25 boxes, only THREE had all OTM rounds. The rest had between 1-6 FMJ rounds mixed in. If my 500 rounds had that many in there, im sure the whole lot (and who knows if others) are affected as well. I emailed Hornady today, so we will see if they want it all back and replace it, or just replace the total number of FMJ rounds. Total I found was 65 FMJ rounds, and one random soft point. Thats over 13% mismatched.

I figured id at least notify people looking to save a few bucks on match ammo... you get what you pay for. Thankfully the 73 and 75 gr match ammo actually labeled Hornady were all the correct rounds.

Last edited:
Contact Hornady, they'll make good on it.
I have no doubts they will... eventually... however one shouldn't expect a case of mix and match ammo when purchasing match grade ammo. Much like companies with a "lifetime no questions warranty" on their products, the goal is to not ever have to need it. I expect more from a company like Hornady.

Reactions: Hey-Who1776
Frontier is known to be crap. Don’t shoot it with a suppressor.
Now I find that out :( It shot really well in my MR556, and average 1 inch out of the KAC. No baffle strikes I know of, but im only through 3 boxes. Hopefully they just take it all back and send me a case of something better.

Not making excuses for them, but frontier is not match grade ammo. It's their budget plinking ammo.
Maybe my eyes are getting older, but looks like it clearly says "Match" and "Hornady bullets"...
vf2eYQX.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
Maybe my eyes are getting older, but looks like it clearly says "Match" and "Hornady bullets"...
vf2eYQX.jpg

That’s the name of the bullet.

F75572B5-F2EF-4B71-8532-FE3A6ED2736B.jpeg

Also as I understand it the Frontier ammo is made by Lake City with Hornady bullets but I’m not sure exactly who is packaging it.

I personally have had good luck with the .223 ammo but have never tried any of the Frontier 5.56 ammo.

That’s the name of the bullet.

View attachment 7322736
Also as I understand it the Frontier ammo is made by Lake City with Hornady bullets but I’m not sure exactly who is packaging it.

I personally have had good luck with the .223 ammo but have never tried any of the Frontier 5.56 ammo.
Its Frontier brass, Hornady bullet, and sold by hornady. It says loaded in Independence, MO, and sold out of Grand Island, NE, where Hornady is. While I dont have the tools to measure brass consistency, bullet or powder weight anymore, "match" grade is really just more consistent than plinking grade. PPU has a Match line, PMC has a match line, as well as many other companies we consider "plinking" ammo. This could just be plinking grade with quality bullets, or maybe its built to a higher tolerance. If I still had a chrono, id go get some readings and see if its sub 10 SD or not, but all I care about is it shoots well, which so far its been decent. I dont expect ANY ammo, even the cheapest of cheap plinking ammo, to come with assorted bullets in their box that designates one type of ammunition. Regardless of if it shoots MOA, Sub MOA, or 5 MOA groups, they should at least be all the same bullet. Being the bottom of the barrel Hornady private label ammo doesn't get them off the hook for that.

My comment was more in reference to the fact that it is really plinking ammo loaded with match bullets but that’s no excuse for the mixed ammo. I’m not well versed in ammo manufacturing but it does seem odd that different types of ammo would end up in the same machine packaged boxes. As I understand it that ammo is all made on different machines so somewhere they are getting cross contamination in their packaging lines.

I’ve never had that happen with any Hornady ammo that I’ve bought over the years so I’m curious if it was being made somewhere else then bulk shipped and packaged by Hornady that could be causing the issue or if Lake City was packaging it and causing the issue. Either way it shouldn’t happen and the ammo should be replaced.

My comment was more in reference to the fact that it is really plinking ammo loaded with match bullets but that’s no excuse for the mixed ammo. I’m not well versed in ammo manufacturing but it does seem odd that different types of ammo would end up in the same machine packaged boxes. As I understand it that ammo is all made on different machines so somewhere they are getting cross contamination in their packaging lines.

I’ve never had that happen with any Hornady ammo that I’ve bought over the years so I’m curious if it was being made somewhere else then bulk shipped and packaged by Hornady that could be causing the issue or if Lake City was packaging it and causing the issue. Either way it shouldn’t happen and the ammo should be replaced.
Id be even more sad if Lake City did it... ive never (knock on wood) had a lake city manufactured product fail, and ive shot 20+ year old stuff.

Hornady will treat you right. I had an issue with some ammo a while back. They replaced my ammo, threw in some extra and paid for shipping.

Reactions: Ledzep
Its Frontier brass, Hornady bullet, and sold by hornady. It says loaded in Independence, MO, and sold out of Grand Island, NE, where Hornady is. While I dont have the tools to measure brass consistency, bullet or powder weight anymore, "match" grade is really just more consistent than plinking grade. PPU has a Match line, PMC has a match line, as well as many other companies we consider "plinking" ammo. This could just be plinking grade with quality bullets, or maybe its built to a higher tolerance. If I still had a chrono, id go get some readings and see if its sub 10 SD or not, but all I care about is it shoots well, which so far its been decent. I dont expect ANY ammo, even the cheapest of cheap plinking ammo, to come with assorted bullets in their box that designates one type of ammunition. Regardless of if it shoots MOA, Sub MOA, or 5 MOA groups, they should at least be all the same bullet. Being the bottom of the barrel Hornady private label ammo doesn't get them off the hook for that.

The cases are from Lake City. The ammo is loaded at Lake City, the bullets are from Hornady, and Hornady handles the fallout if there are problems. It is similar to Hornady Match ammo only in the bullets used. Pressure, velocity, accuracy, and sorting tolerances are likely very different. In this case it's plinking ammo with higher grade bullets. As others have said, give tech support a call and you'll be taken care of.

By the nature of how ammo machines work, I very seriously doubt they had 2 different bullets (especially with that much length variance between a 55 and 75) being loaded in the same run of ammo. I'd guess you're likely looking at 2 separate lots of appropriately loaded ammo accidentally getting mixed.

Reactions: lash
The cases are from Lake City. The ammo is loaded at Lake City, the bullets are from Hornady, and Hornady handles the fallout if there are problems. It is similar to Hornady Match ammo only in the bullets used. Pressure, velocity, accuracy, and sorting tolerances are likely very different. In this case it's plinking ammo with higher grade bullets. As others have said, give tech support a call and you'll be taken care of.

By the nature of how ammo machines work, I very seriously doubt they had 2 different bullets (especially with that much length variance between a 55 and 75) being loaded in the same run of ammo. I'd guess you're likely looking at 2 separate lots of appropriately loaded ammo accidentally getting mixed.
3 separate :)

I contacted them over the weekend, im sure it will be a week or two before anyone gets back to me.

I’ll bet (hope) they make it right with you. Don’t hesitate to try Black Hills 77 OTM. My experience with it is that it’s consistent, fast, and QC has been great for the thousands of rounds I’ve received.

I’ll bet (hope) they make it right with you. Don’t hesitate to try Black Hills 77 OTM. My experience with it is that it’s consistent, fast, and QC has been great for the thousands of rounds I’ve received.
I wasn't getting super impressive groups from my new Knights LPR (about .9-1.0 at best with 1.25 average on some ammo), so they told me to try the 69 gr stuff. Frontier had a 68 gr and I almost said fuck it, can they really screw up twice? Decided to just order some gold medal match :D

I wasn't getting super impressive groups from my new Knights LPR (about .9-1.0 at best with 1.25 average on some ammo), so they told me to try the 69 gr stuff. Frontier had a 68 gr and I almost said fuck it, can they really screw up twice? Decided to just order some gold medal match :D
My experience with FGMM in 223 was that it shot well, just a tad on the slow side.

My experience with FGMM in 223 was that it shot well, just a tad on the slow side.
I tried hard to find that Australian Outback stuff that was supposed to be good, but seems unobtainable. The FGMM 77 shot well and did the best group last time I was out. I need to put some more rounds through the barrel though and im sure it will tighten up a bit. Usually the virgin rounds are never the most accurate.

I have better luck with calling them. Call 1-800-338-3220 and ask for the technical department. From reloading dies to ammo they have corrected any issues I have ever had.

Good luck.

Reactions: Ledzep
Did not read all the post. Like the OP, I started with a very high regard for Hornady ammo. This mostly based on my experience with their 32 grain .204 loading of which I have shot many thousands and have many thousands more on hand. Never an issue.

I ordered a few cases of .223 ammo Super Performance in 75 grain. It is so hot it blows primers 50% of the time in every .223 rifle I have. I called Hornady. They were so uninterested on the phone that I simply did not bother jumping through the hoops. I could tell that it would be an exercise in frustration with no hope of resolution.

I still buy the .204 ammo with zero issues.

Did not read all the post. Like the OP, I started with a very high regard for Hornady ammo. This mostly based on my experience with their 32 grain .204 loading of which I have shot many thousands and have many thousands more on hand. Never an issue.

I ordered a few cases of .223 ammo Super Performance in 75 grain. It is so hot it blows primers 50% of the time in every .223 rifle I have. I called Hornady. They were so uninterested on the phone that I simply did not bother jumping through the hoops. I could tell that it would be an exercise in frustration with no hope of resolution.

.223 or 5.56? Their 5.56 75gr bullet takes full advantage of the 5.56 longer throat and will jam .025-.050 in most .223 chambers. At any rate, you have zero chance of them taking care of you if you don't send anything in. They get your ammo in to pressure and velocity check it and if it's loaded hot they'll replace it with a different lot or a different product.

glad to hear they are taking care of you, let us know if replacement ammo is accurate (both how packaged and on target)

glad to hear they are taking care of you, let us know if replacement ammo is accurate (both how packaged and on target)
Im still not even sure what im getting. They said if I want the same ammo there's no ETA on when it will be available, so I said anything 69 gr or heavier is fine. We will see what shows up!

I have shot thousands of their 5.56 75gr ammo (frontier) on my 5.56 RPR “trainer” and the only issues I have had is a few FTF and when I say a few I mean maybe 20 in the thousands I have shot, other than that it has worked well for me and have even gotten some great groups when verifying or zeroing at 100yrds. So at least in my experience it has been good to me. But your situation is unacceptable I hope they take care of you.

Reactions: deersniper

You want to sell that super performance cheap?

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
I have a bad lot of their 62 gr spire pt 5.56mm. 1000 rd bulk pack several like 5 blown primers in a couple mags😱fired in a mcx and colt commando(never happened with either before)
also have some 68gr match no issues with that
. Update. Hornaday replaced the 900 rounds I returned. Gentlemen to deal with

Last edited:
I have a bad lot of their 62 gr spire pt 5.56mm. 1000 rd bulk pack several like 5 blown primers in a couple mags😱fired in a mcx and colt commando(never happened with either before)
also have some 68gr match no issues with that.

Had a similar experience with their 62 gr BTHP Match. Stuff is accurate, but flat primers galore and will get a couple blown primers every mag.
Will try it again if cold weather ever shows up and see if it was mostly temperature induced.