• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bewildering Powder Selections!

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am new to reloading and am making my first powder, brass, primer, and bullet purchase for an AR15 223 Remington, with 1:9" twist barrel. Unsure on powders. Would the following be a good selection of things to start out with to determine a good load? All this stuff comes from one source saving shipping. Shooting 52 - 55 grain, 60, and 69 grain match bullets, at paper targets, 100 yards, sometimes 300. CCI 400 primers, Winchester brass.

Accurate 2230
Alliant Reloder 15 (RE 15)
Hodgdon H322
Hodgdon Benchmark
Ramshot TAC

I had heard the Benchmark might burn too fast leaving little pressure at the gas port. It is the fastest burning of the bunch. If it makes sense to buy another powder from a vendor who has it (w/another Hazmat charge), will do.

- Phil

Re: Bewildering Powder Selections!

You don't need all those powders...

TAC is all you need and it is a good choice because it is easy to measure and is accurate out to 600yds. IMR 4895 is also good, but doesn't measure as well.

The Hornady 75 gr hp match bullet will handle target chores to 600 and use Rem 7 1/2, CCI BR-4 or Fed 205M primers in the ar-15 because they are thicker.

TC

For the lighter bullets I would use the benchmark. I've tried TAC and benchmark so far (new to reloading the AR-15 myself). My groups were much tighter with the Benchmark. Both powders flow really consistent through my Redding powder thrower.

BTW, I am shooting 55gr FMJBT Hornady Bulk Bullets out of a 16" RockRiver Carbine barrel

TAC s good especially if you're trying to replicate high velocity rounds, at least from what I have read, also I can't find Varget anywhere online but was able to order 8lbs of TAC for .223.

tac sounds like a winner.i use vv n140 in my ar's with good success.whatever you use,consistent charge weight is key.

no expert but have same dilemma going. have been trying blc-2, a-2230 and 4064 so far and one thing i seem to be seeing is tons of vertical coincides with even slightest velocity deviations with this cartridge.

A few guys I shoot with load .223 with TAC with excellent results.

TAC gets my vote, since that's what I use. AA2230 is a good powder, but gives up a little on velocity. H335 is another good one for your bullets weights.

Hodgdon H322
gets my vote you can load it in pretty much anything, and it burns clean in my ar-15. 23 grains of Hodgdon H322 with 69smk and 205m primers loaded in lake city brass is my pet load in my ar-15

Tac or varget for the mid to heavier bullets, benchmark for the 55's has worked
best for me.

Looked in a manual, it listed starting and max loads for the first 3 but no load data for the last two. Take it for what it is worth, might mean something might not. Others here seem to have good experience using them.

Where did they get their starting data from is my only question?

TAC does well for a ball powder... maybe one of the better choices in that regard, but it's more sensitive than say Varget or 4895. ES, SD, again, excellent for a ball powder, but higher than the best stick loads.

If the rifle and shooter are up for it, out to 400-600 yd it's a reasonable trade off for measuring convenience, but for long range work I like 4895 better.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Top Cat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TAC does well for a ball powder... maybe one of the better choices in that regard, but it's more sensitive than say Varget or 4895. ES, SD, again, excellent for a ball powder, but higher than the best stick loads.

If the rifle and shooter are up for it, out to 400-600 yd it's a reasonable trade off for measuring convenience, but for long range work I like 4895 better.

TC </div></div>
TC......GREAT answer....especially since your listings are what i currently use
laugh.gif

For 90% of folks for 90% of what they need to do, Tac in the 223 is perfect. If you need more for longer range, maybe its time to bump up from the 223?

John

My AR shoots well with:

Benchmark (50gr-62gr.)
H-335 (55gr-62gr.)
Varget (69gr.-77gr.)
Win748 (52gr + 53gr. SMK)