• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Beyond 700 Yards Question

C130

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 28, 2023
    Magnolia, TX
    I’m new to long distance shooting, bought my gun about two months ago. MPA Matrix Pro, Impact Precision action, Bartlein barrel, ZCO scope. I’m shooting Hornady Match 140g ammo, 6.5CM. I feel like I do decent from a bench at 500, 600, and 700 (at least for my skill level at this point). Anything past 700 I totally suck, can’t hit the targets at 800-1100 yards. I have a Kestrel 5700 Elite but don't have a chronograph, never measured or verified velocity. Zeroed at 100 yards and had another guy shoot my gun and zero verified, was shooting a little left (1”)after barrel break in but made adjustments. Targets from 600-1000 have some weeds around them, no backstop at all, and it’s been about impossible to spot where I’m hitting.

I’ve read where it’s much harder at the longer distances and totally get that. Besides my own shooting capabilities and limits how important is it to get a chronograph, is it highly recommended? I’m going to take some lessons when it cools off, right now it’s just too hot here in Texas. I go shoot almost weekly but I’d rather wait until it’s a little cooler for lessons.

Part Two of Long Range Marksmanship: Wind.
    I'd concentrate there if your dope is accurate.

Reactions: R_A_W
    The advertised velocity and BC will be enough to start with. Your observed POA/POI at 500, 600 and 700 will allow you to adjust your calculator for the likely 20-80 fps difference you have.

Look for the articles here on Gravity Ballistics and Weaponized Math.

If your range allows it place some large cardboard backers behind your targets or even switch to one as a target.

Part Two of Long Range Marksmanship: Wind.
    I'd concentrate there if your dope is accurate.
    I definitely think that's one of my big issues. My son and I shot Sunday and the wind would die down to almost nothing then would be around 10-12 mph. I also think the wind was stronger out by the targets than where I was taking the readings.

Yep, my guess is you're starting to see the collective effects of wind and spin drift once you pass the 500 line. Wind has a bit of voodoo and black magic in it, but isn't impossible become proficient in. It's a constant training tool as it always changes and presents new obstacles to learn in.
    If possibly, find a dirt berm to shoot into to get a wind call, or see where you're missing. Or hang two more targets downwind from where you're aiming to get some down range effects on where the bullet is landing. If you're unable to, then you're just guessing where / why / what you're missing on.
    Lots of good reading / training material on it too. Emil Praslick, IMO is about the gold standard for reading/learning.

I’m new to long distance shooting, bought my gun about two months ago. MPA Matrix Pro, Impact Precision action, Bartlein barrel, ZCO scope. I’m shooting Hornady Match 140g ammo, 6.5CM. I feel like I do decent from a bench at 500, 600, and 700 (at least for my skill level at this point). Anything past 700 I totally suck, can’t hit the targets at 800-1100 yards. I have a Kestrel 5700 Elite but don't have a chronograph, never measured or verified velocity. Zeroed at 100 yards and had another guy shoot my gun and zero verified, was shooting a little left (1”)after barrel break in but made adjustments. Targets from 600-1000 have some weeds around them, no backstop at all, and it’s been about impossible to spot where I’m hitting.

I’ve read where it’s much harder at the longer distances and totally get that. Besides my own shooting capabilities and limits how important is it to get a chronograph, is it highly recommended? I’m going to take some lessons when it cools off, right now it’s just too hot here in Texas. I go shoot almost weekly but I’d rather wait until it’s a little cooler for lessons.
    Since you are up against a psychological wall, with no feedback , the solution is clear. Set a huge target , say 6’x8’, and some wind flags.