• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BH Factory New - What's the Difference?

DirtyRod

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 4, 2009
Arizona
I've got a couple thousand rounds of the stuff on the right through my gun. I picked up 8 boxes of the stuff on the left thinking it was just a new or old box design. I assumed "Factory New" = "New" but my rifle went from 2-3" at 200 yards to 7-8" so they do not appear to be the same at least to my 700.

I've searched and can't find any other info describing the differences on the Hyde, BH site, or anywhere else. I saw that the reman are the blue boxes so what is this if it's not "New"?

Can someone please educate me on what BH "Factory New" means?

100_2154.jpg

Re: BH Factory New - What's the Difference?

Years ago I had a similar problem with two different cases of Black Hills 175 gr match. The first case shot fantastic, albeit a little slow, but the accuracy was phenomenal. When I started to run low I ordered a case directly from BH and went to the range with the last of the original case and one box from the new to check zero. I shot a .2" group with the last shots out of the first case of ammunition and the new case was struggling to shoot 1" at 100 yards. Eventhough I'd just shot a fantastic group a couple minutes prior I gave the ammunition the benefit of the doubt and tried again later. Same results still and that's when I decided to start hand loading. I didn't call BH like I should've, instead I just shot up the case that I had so that I could have all the brass.

A couple of years later, a colleauge of mine got a few boxes of BH .338LM and had multiple failures to fire. There was definitely a good impression on the primer, enought that it should've detonated the primer but it just wouldn't ignite. The rifle fired a couple of other brands of .338LM just fine so it was deduced that it wasn't the rifle. After some back and forth Black Hills did make it right but it goes to show you that they aren't perfect and I'd call them to see what they can do for you. Black Hills ammunition has been a good performer for me in the past and your results at 200 yards I would say are atypical of what it can do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black Hills ammunition has been a good performer for me in the past and your results at 200 yards I would say are atypical of what it can do. </div></div>

Definitely agree that the Red Box stuff on the right is good stuff. My wife laid down a 1.27" 200 yard 5 shot group with it to put me on kitchen duty this week but she was all over the target with the stuff on the left as well.

Follow Up: Called BH today and they indicated that the ammo is the same. Just a new box design. Perhaps is was just a bad box or maybe we were just both off that session. Going to take a couple of boxes of each back out on Sat and see if we get the same results.

Additional: Tested the new ammo again and the Red/Black was all over the target and the ammo from the Red Box shot 1-1.5". Ran the test twice swapping back and forth between the two. Sending the Red/Black back to BH for analysis.