• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BHTC SNIPER TEAM CHALLENGE 10/6/12, LEWISTOWN PA

fargo007

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2007
Bucks County, PA
www.bhtcorps.com
Having trouble with our website so I am posting all details here for now.

Those that have been shooting our matches know that we press surrounding skill sets as much as marksmanship. Attention to detail, observation, problem solving, stress, overcoming distraction, technical knowledge, skill with equipment, all of it.

So now we're doing a sniper team match, and I have a whole new toy box to open up and play with. Concepts I don't get to test shooters on in an individual effort competition. Teamwork, communication, shared knowledge.... Expect all the same long range shooting challenges, but prepare to be tested as a TEAM in all aspects. The ideas are spilling onto paper like water at this point, and I am having <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">FUN</span></span> just writing this one up.

Where: Mifflin County Sportsmen's Assoc. 400 Ellen Chapel Ln, Lewistown PA

When: 10/6/12, Saturday, 0800

The team format is shooter-spotter. This is not a CQB type match for the spotter. He will be backing up the long gun.

Precision shots from 100 to 1025Y. Spotter from 25 to perhaps 600Y or so.

Long range precision rifle (max 300 win, max velocity 3100) for the precision shooter.

The spotter must deploy with a .223/5.56 caliber semi-automatic platform. No bipod, magnified optic recommended. No M855 or steel core ammo. NFA registered suppressors are welcome on either platform.

CoF is in development. Round counts expected to be around 85 for precision, 115 for spotter. Final amount will be provided to registered attendees.

Bring all the other equipment you deem useful in this discipline.

ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Rucksack to quickly and efficiently carry all gear (a handful of shopping bags will not work this time)[*]Chamber safe device / flag[*]1 GMRS Radio per person, capable of transmit/receive on channel 21, CTSS 02[*]1 spotting scope per team. It does not need a reticle.[*]work Gloves are recommended[/list]

PROHIBITED EQUIPMENT: Tracer rounds, AP rounds, SS109/M855/green tip rounds, laser rangefinders.

Straining at the obvious, you must have a team mate to shoot this match. One of you must shoot as the precision shooter, the other as the spotter, using the correct platforms. We will consider allowing spotters with other caliber platforms shoot the CoF for fun/training but their team will not officially compete.

Match fee is $75.00 per person.

Prizes at this time include an action from Defiance Machine, A Vortex Optics spotting scope, gift certificates from RWS Gunsmithing in Manning IA, and several other items as well.

Online Registration is required. Note that when you hit "submit" you need to scroll "UP" to see the acknowledgment of success. No automatic emails are sent.

Once I have a few names on the roster I will furnish payment instructions. There are no refunds or credits provided for cancels within two weeks of the match date. If your team mate bails during this window, that is regretful but you need to find another one.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHdYMVdtNWFHanZTVUliQ3EyajRxalE6MQ#gid=1

Thanks for reading, and we hope to have you aboard for what I am sure is going to be a really good one.

--Fargo007

Re: BHTC SNIPER TEAM CHALLENGE 10/6/12, LEWISTOWN PA

Team Pohuski is in. Tom Jr and Sr. See you there.

Im in.. Ill be shooting with the local clown - aka Bohem.

Also, could you give some more details on the second shooter's role/COF. Are we going to be shooting much or just "backup"

Spotter from 25 to perhaps 600Y or so.
The spotter must deploy with a .223/5.56 caliber semi-automatic platform. <span style="font-weight: bold">No bipod,</span> magnified optic recommended.
1 GMRS Radio per person, capable of transmit/receive on channel 21, CTSS 02
<span style="font-weight: bold">1 spotting scope</span> per team. It does not need a reticle.

Only reason I ask is due to the no bipod comment as well as the spotting scope requirement. As a second shooter/spotter, I would think that spotting through the optic of the rifle would be more likely in a "backup" scenario.

Just thinking out loud as I have not done a match format like this before so forgive me if Im just confused.

Team Trebark, representing Northern VA, in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The spotter must deploy with a .223/5.56 caliber semi-automatic platform. <span style="font-weight: bold">No bipod,</span> magnified optic recommended.
</div></div>

Flounder-
I think you are reading it wrong. No bipod means just that. But a magnified optic IS recommended. He is not saying No bipod and No magnified optics. At least that is how I'm reading it.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">If anyone needs a spotter from the Central PA area ... I have a canned MK12 clone and some limited time to get together for practice. I am a MCSA member.</span>
wink.gif

Scott and I paired. Now to re-study mils and re-study/remember spotter/security jobs.

2011-06-26_13-20-57_412.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The spotter must deploy with a .223/5.56 caliber semi-automatic platform. <span style="font-weight: bold">No bipod,</span> magnified optic recommended.
</div></div>

Flounder-
I think you are reading it wrong. No bipod means just that. But a magnified optic IS recommended. He is not saying No bipod and No magnified optics. At least that is how I'm reading it.

</div></div>

I'm reading it the same way as James. Mag optic is recommended, no bipod is allowed.

JB and Bohem are right. We recommend a magnified optic on the spotter's rifle, but they are not permitted to fit a bipod to it.

A bipod is allowed on the precision platform.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">The spotter will be shooting a whole lot</span></span>, not just watching the precision shooter fire. The spotter in this match is not a 'just in case' person, and they will get their money's worth. There will be stages where the team will be shooting together, and others where they will shoot separately.

My point about the recommended magnified optic is that some of the shots the spotter will be expected to make are long.

As I've built it so far, both roles will have very difficult shots, but the spotter at this point has overall a more demanding job.

Just keep doing what Nuke did. If you're looking for a teamie, go ahead and post it up!

--Fargo007

Works for me,, I wasnt questioning the optic, just the bipod..

Sorry Bohem, looks like youre SOL for a win if ill have the more demanding shooting situations.. hahaha.

Sounds like a lot of positional shooting for the "spotter".. Looking forward to a fun time.
smile.gif

Ill bring my GoPro to this one in case anyone wants to get some footage.

Signed up and ready to roll. See you at the range.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Looking for a team mate. I can shoot either precision or spotter. </span>

Got a team. Will be registering tonight.

Just a reminder I need EACH SHOOTER independently registered. The team-mate field is just for me to associate the two on the roster.

If your team-mate is a ham-fist, you can go ahead and type out all the info for them.

I will need the same full info on them for counts for lunch, what they are shooting, etc.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a reminder I need EACH SHOOTER independently registered. The team-mate field is just for me to associate the two on the roster.

If your team-mate is a ham-fist, you can go ahead and type out all the info for them.

I will need the same full info on them for counts for lunch, what they are shooting, etc.

--Fargo007
</div></div>

Roger wilco. thanks for clarification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Herr.Baer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a team mate. I can shoot either precision or spotter. </div></div>

Pitch for a buddy-
Scott is a good guy and a good shooter. Will make a good teammate for someone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Herr.Baer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a team mate. I can shoot either precision or spotter. </div></div>

Pitch for a buddy-
Scott is a good guy and a good shooter. Will make a good teammate for someone. </div></div>

Thanks James!!

Freddy - Just for clarification, the spotter can only use .223/5.56 and have their scores count for the match. If the spotter uses any other caliber then they are just shooting for fun. Is that correct?

What quality and magnification spotting scope will be needed?

That's correct Baer, .223/5.56 for the spotter platform for score. If the roster is full, teams registering with an out of bounds platform will get bumped in favor of a team with a compliant one. I will let people know via email what is happening.

NukeMMC (Bruce) is looking for a precision shooter as listed above. He shoots at MCSA regularly so I would consider his knowledge of the range an asset.

Xanathar - As far as a spotting scope, anything you can detect targets with out to 1025Y would be fine. The spotting scope is only required in this match for target detection/ID. If you can see .308 holes at 200Y with it, I'd say that's plenty good enough.

--Fargo007

NVM, answered in the edit.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Add me to the list looking for a team mate. I'm really only setup to shoot precision, so I'd need to pair up with a carbine shooter.</span>

Some of you guys know me from Freddy's matches here and at NHRPC.

PM me if interested. Contact Freddy if you need a reference.

Thanks,
Steve

Issue resolved.

Steve, I could swing carbine, but will have kind of a wonky setup on short notice since I'm geared more toward precision, but would rather get my hat in the ring any way possible.

I'm willing to offer my services as a spotter carbine.

The bidding will begin at $1 Million U.S.

... or 10 dozen homemade chocolate chip cookies. Toll House Recipe is acceptable but the butter to flour ratio must be changed to 1 : 1.25

Argyle would be an excellent team mate in the spotter role. He shoots his 20" AR in EVERY type of comp. From bad breath CQB to long range precision comps and always does well.

You know what they say about the man who has only one rifle....

ETA: We have 6 teams registered at this time out of a possible 12.

--Fargo007

Very interested. Will ask my shooting partner if he can make it out - otherwise I am willing to pair up with a spotter (I only shoot bolt .308) - cant promise perfection but I can make a mean cookie.

- Boaz

Looking for a carbine to partner with.

Don't want to miss this.

Negotiations are going well.

I can't think of anything that isn't better with more butter!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Argyle would be an excellent team mate in the spotter role. He shoots his 20" AR in EVERY type of comp. From bad breath CQB to long range precision comps and always does well.

You know what they say about the man who has only one rifle....

ETA: We have 6 teams registered at this time out of a possible 12.

--Fargo007 </div></div>

Im registered although not sure if that clown bohem registered yet or if he's off enjoying his new found bliss..

he told me he couldn't make it because he will be returning from honeymoon to soon before the shoot and thinks he will be too tired(tapped out!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Negotiations are going well.

</div></div>

We have reached an accord:

8 dozen cookies with <span style="text-decoration: underline">NO</span> legumes, nuts, fruit, or any other vegetarian shenanigans of any kind
2 cream puffs
and a trio of Muffins, of which at least 1, and at most 2, shall be English.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I can't think of anything that isn't better with more butter! </div></div>

For example: English Muffins

I am glad it's working out.

Let me reach into my classified DMR files and see if I can dig up some more bad asses from the last DMR course.

--Fargo007

I doubt he would have loaned me a rifle, optics, etc if he wasnt going to be there
smile.gif

Team Cookie Monsters is registered!

This will be a new experience, and I expect it will be quite fun.

Sorry to miss this one. Have to be in Texas for another shoot. Will team up for the next one as a Spotter for the next one.

No problem bro, have a good time down there.

OFIS - I am still looking for a teamie for you. I am confident we will find one. I am considering your team's slot reserved.

That said, there are three more team slots open.

--Fargo007

Looks like I'm elegible now, thanks for facilitating the contact!

Excellent. I see you both on the roster.

Chet is very capable with the carbine out long. You won't be disappointed.

There are only a couple spots left.

--Fargo007

Just finished reloading for this today. Still need to get dope on the rifle considering im borrowing it and have never really drove a precision AR before. Should make things interesting.
smile.gif

Any updates on final round count for AR and Precision?

I would like precision shooters to bring 100 rounds. The CoF will be less than that but you will be covered with 100 in the event there is a stage re-shoot required for any reason.

Carbine shooters bring 135.

I remind all here that the following are required:

* 2 GMRS radios (per team)
* 1 spotting scope (per team)
* gloves (per shooter)
* pen/pencil/notebook (per shooter)

--Fargo007

pen/pencil/notebook - sounds like somebody is going to get taken to school

have a great time at this one guys - Team Trebark is now a no go due to a bunch of scheduling issues. Anyway, I will see a bunch of you guys at the Mayberry finale in late Oct. Good luck with Freddy's craziness this weekend!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SteveInMd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pen/pencil/notebook - sounds like somebody is going to get taken to school </div></div>

I'm going to say the target sizes one time.

Posting the notebook requirement ahead of time absolves my conscience whilst I dock points from any competitor who asks me a target size (after they are furnished) while I'm adding numbers, calling impacts, or otherwise running a stage. I shit'chu not - there has sometimes been a line of shooters - each waiting to ask one of the staff that same question, or "how many rounds?" (with this plainly on the score sheet).

Those who have shot my CoF's know that I am an "attention to detail" match director. Notoriously and unapologetically.

;-)

--Fargo007

Thanks again to all those that put in their time to make these matches happen. Was another very challenging and fun match.

Great match from the Black Hat crew as always. I am hoping to see the team format again next year. Thanks to Defiance for the AR receiver cert my dad won and the other sponsors for supporting these events. Now if I just figure out how to get Mike down to Mayberry and put him on the clock. Haha.

Well, the last match of the BHTC shooting season is in the books!

Thank you to everyone who came out and did their best. This was probably the most difficult CoF of the season. LOTS of attention-to-detail elements that some saw, and others didn't. You all shot great, were good sports (especially dealing with the hill troll) and I feel like our last match ended on a very high note. Thank you.

Please thank the generous sponsors that allowed the fortunate to gorge themselves at the troth of plenty:

Vortex Optics

Defiance Machines (matched receiver sets)

Long Range Accuracy Bipods (by FAR the very best bipod out there)

Wells Custom Gunmakers (suppressors, 1911 smithing, full service)

RW Snyder Gunsmithing - Gift certificates for precision rifle work.

Scores:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?...amp;output=html

Congrats to the winners, Tom Pohuski Jr. and Sr.! Really outstanding shooting by both, starting with Tom Sr.'s 909Y UKD dead center cold bore shot. It is no surprise that Tom Sr. was also the high precision shooter, but Mark Evans of the 3rd place team was the high carbine shot of the day. Nice Job bro.

Here's a run down on the match.

Setting up the targets Friday evening, I was on the line while Mike and Chris placed the targs. Company showed up. I told them on the radio when the first one came, and they thought I was messing around. By the time I announced the third one, a big ~500# sow, they knew I meant it. Mike came back on the radio authorizing me to load. My response was <span style="font-style: italic">"dope's already on the gun."</span> They left after exploring for about 10 minutes. whew... You can see the W target (909Y), the BW (725), and the all black (855Y). The bears are in front of the 1006Y target.

bears_mcsa.jpg

I put a lot of thought into the design of the CoF. Very heavy focus on teamwork, and several little windows of opportunity (for those who paid attention) to translate good teamwork into points.

Target ID - 10 items were in view somewhere on the range. Plot each on a furnished grid for 10 pts/per. Teams had all morning to do it and turn them in. I wasn't going to ask for them. High score was 70, low was 40. Most had 50-60.

KHL/CBS - "know <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">HIS</span></span> limits" - Spotters were separated from the sniper (incommunicato) and had to "pick" the CBS target, all UKD. The further out, the more points.

Dead body shot - After firing the CBS, rifles were put on the bench with 5 rounds, knobs left where they were from the CBS. Snipers played dead and were not allowed to speak. Spotter had to acquire the correct rifle, find dope, shoot off a body, and engage a 618Y KD target. I was surprised that only two teams hit the target at all within 5 rounds.

Hill House - Teams took turns on one clock on a dot drill and B27 center (carbine) off a roof peak at 200Y.

Sitting Bull - Engage a 618Y KD target off the shoulder of a teamie. Using the spotters rifle for both. 10 rounds to hit it.

IED Relay - One fired at a 540Y target while the other had to hold a giant size cinderblock (the IED) overhead. If it touched the ground, minus 10 per incident.

UKD - Four long range UKD targets between 725 and 1006Y.

Back-me-up - Unstable position - Shooters engage a patrol of targets up a road. If the sniper missed, the spotter had to see it and back the shot up.

Target Talker - A bunch of random lines with six identical shapes in it. Everyone was put on glass at the same time to make sure they saw the target and how it was oriented. Sniper on the gun, spotter behind him. 1 minute to describe the correct space to shoot at, shown on a sheet of paper identical to the target, :30 to fire 5. No fire adjustment. Only a few teams thought to orient the paper the same way as the target. Like you would orient a map. (they all looked at it and knew which way it was facing...). Only one team cleaned it, and only 4 of 9 teams drew any blood at all. <span style="font-weight: bold">"attention to detail!"</span>

Wind Talker - a 750Y shot by the carbine shooter. Fire adjustment from the sniper.

SBU Prone off the bench at 325Y

A standing, kneeling prone drill on 4" swinging targs from 25Y to 200Y.

A barricade drill that required one shooter to be suspended off the ground with rope while the teamie shot.

A helo style rope-loop shot at 505Y and 325Y(carbine).

During a lot of these stages there were chances to communicate and adjust fire. Some figured that out, others did not.

We had a great time running it. I sometimes wonder just how outrageous of a stage I could design and still have all you crazies jump right into it without blinking an eye.

If you've got pics please post them up!

See you all soon.

--Fargo007

Learned a lot, a few strengths and several weaknesses that wouldn't have been uncovered if I weren't under stress.

Thanks again to BHTC, MCSA, and Vortex, for supplying the Recon R/T that I'm still rather surprised to have won. It is definitely and upgrade from my mid-60's field scope.

I only managed to get one picture during the 10 minute ranging 'break'. The rest of the time I was lucky to remember to breathe let alone take pictures.

zv4ms0.png