• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft bi pod hop? any suggestiions

G

Hey guys im open to any type of suggestions that will reduce bi pod hoping...

Re: bi pod hop? any suggestiions

this topic has been beat to death....get an effective muzzle brake, one that a professional gunplumber puts on the business end of your barrel...recoil and muzzle flip goes AWAY..........

Also, are you running a fixed or swivel bipod?
Swivel model, along with not getting the lock too tight, can help.

lol. that has been covered here lately, too, and the "more effective" part is not universal despite looking cool

clicky

the bipod threads in the advanced marksmanship section here have lots of info. pay attention to lowlight's posts about position. it pretty much eliminated any bipod hop for me.

How bout where are you and what are you shooting and in what conditions ? Range ? Gravel road ? Rocks ? More info provided the better answers you will get.

If your just shooting at the range on a hard surface try this. I bring along a small long pile throw rug and dig the feet of my bipod into it. I'm trying to give the feet of the bipod somthing to dig into. It does keep my rifle from spring up, and I am able to follow the shot. I also like shooting off a ruck using one of those saddles that Gun Slinger makes, but I made my own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, are you running a fixed or swivel bipod?
Swivel model, along with not getting the lock too tight, can help. </div></div>
This suggestiong is right on target. When the <span style="font-style: italic">spinning </span>bullet leaves the muzzle, the rifle spins in the opposite direction -- this is part of recoil, it's not just backward.

If you have a fixed bipod or you overtighten your swivelling bipod, the rifle spins around the foot of the bipod (part of "bipod hop"). However, if you leave the swivel mechanism loose enough, it will spin around the pivot at the top of the bipod, lessening the effect. When I discovered this trick, I said, "Oh yeah!"

So, use a swivelling bipod like a Harris and keep it loose enough that the rifle recoils from the bullet spin at the top and not at the foot of the bipod.

<span style="font-weight: bold">So, use a swivelling bipod like a Harris and keep it loose enough that the rifle recoils from the bullet spin at the top and not at the foot of the bipod.</span>

Never thought of it like that. I'll be trying that on my next range trip.

thanks,
Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Drill hole into the bench and epoxy the bi pod into it. </div></div>

grin.gif

Excellent idea!
As good an idea as that is
smirk.gif
,I would try what Greg Langelius mentioned in another post using a sling with bipod applying down pressure(do not know all the details).

I use a thin, rough textured, rubber bottomed rug as well That I roll up and carry with me.It gives me a consistent footing on gravel,grass,whatever.I think it makes a big difference IMO.

Use your sling to pull the rifle down onto the bipod. Do this with your offhand elbow, keeping the sling flat on the deck, pulling downward. It works for bipod shooting quite well. Ruck is good too for the 308, but it looks like pod claws do the job for those big mags

just throw a sandbag on top of your rifle and duck tape it down to the floor, then it wont want to hop so much. shazam!! fixed it

Hey guys im open to any type of suggestions that will reduce bi pod hoping...

I've found that I can reduce bipod hoping by purchasing one. Hoping doesn't tend to happen when you have them to use. If it does, just develop rifle ADD and keep on buying them to maintain 1-1 bipod parity.

Last edited: