• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bi-pod Loading question....

Chris_Neal

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2009
Peoria, IL
I have a new Harris bi-pod. Everything is fairly tight. I've watched several videos that talk about loading the bi-pod. I *think* I am doing it right, most of the time I am still on target and can see the impact.

My question though, should there be some play in the leg joints? When I load the pod, the feet slide easily, everything is rigid. A friend of mine has a pod on his AR and the joints seem like they have too much play. I did a search, but did not find anything. Is there a proper "setup" that needs to be done?

Re: Bi-pod Loading question....

if your feet are sliding then you have to much "load" on the bipods. Its not very much, and the best way that i can describe the proper load to you is how LL did it to me. You are just stacking dead weight behind the bipod. The reason you see Frank and Jacobs bipod have so much flex over the Harris is because theres are the atlas using a spigot mount. The harris is very rigid and you wont see the load like you can on the atlas. I would tighten the bipod down finger tight then take a proper size allen key and crank it down about a 1/4 turn more and yuo should be good

If you plan on using the Harris, Podclaws are a must (a band-aid actually)
Don't forget the leg screws to help to keep the legs from rotating when loading.

podclaws are not a must. I shoot just fine now that i have figured out the right amount of load. I have the standard harris bipod feet. If you get the load right and are straight behind the rifle, you wont have any problems

+1, pod claw are not a must, its a good aid to help you loading the bipod easier, but more practice will do too. LL said "a little goes a long way", if your bipod is sliding away from you, then you put too much pressure from your shoulder.

Try not to use the shoulder, but use your body as dead weight.

This helped me, hope it helps you as well.

Dyl..

Thanks guys, I think I understand and have the proper loading. I've had it shift to one side or the other, but I think that is my alignment. I've been shooting off a bench and getting aligned is a pain. Can't wait for my GRT case/mat to try prone.

Thanks again, big help!