• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bi-pod placement/installation in regards to accuracy

Cutthroatdave

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
I have a question regarding the importance of bi-pod placement on a rifle and how much can it affect accuracy.
Background: I recently built my first Ar 15, I am in the process of of trying to sight it in. I went to the range yesterday and my groups at 25 yards were absolutely terrible. I couldn't get a tight enough group to even bother trying to adjust windage or elevation on the scope. I have shot store bought bolt action rifles for 20 years and shoot handguns at the range 3 - 4 days a week. I came away from the range yesterday very disappointed. One thing that I suspect might be an issue is that when I went to install the bipod, I initially wanted to install it as far forward as possible so that the legs would fold backwards. When I went to do this one of the mounting screws was hitting the gas block which would then defeat the whole purpose of having a floating handguard. So I installed it further back so the legs fold forwards. Is it likely or possible that with the bi-pod mounted so far back that the recoil is causing the rifle to pivot on the bi-pod?

My first thought is why dont you sight it in off a bag to see if its in the rifle or scope. Once youve eliminated those variables then put the bipod on and see if that affects it.

Reactions: Woodlanddude
Yes, the Pivot Point can be so far back that you're having to muscle/hold the shot. It would be kind of like being a little bit off on your NPA. If you can't move the bipod where you want it then you might have to either add White is necessary to get everything balanced. The other option is to Simply add an appropriate mount on your handguard that will allow you to locate the bipod where you want.

I mount all of mine, in the farthest forward position on the handguard, so it reduces the effects of pivoting. Seems, to me, more "planted". YMMV. Mac

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
Y’all are overlooking something. If you can’t get a tight enough group AT 25 YARDS to even see what you need to adjust E and W, the problem is NOT in where you put the bipod. You can do better than that Offhand at 25. Sounds like a rifle or scope problem, assuming shooter can successfully sight in his other guns.

Last edited:
25 yds?!? Are you using a red dot or a scope? If it's a scope, does it focus that close? If not, that's a big part of your problem right there.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
Need more details about the load, rifle specs, scope/rings/mount. There is a lot of wrong going on if you can’t sight in at 25 or hold a 1/2” group at that distance. What bipod is this, what handguard is it mounted on?

Never.
Never.
Never.
Mount your bipod backwards.
Look up how to properly load the bipod. You'll see why you dont mount them backward

Your scope mount is loose. Or you bought your barrel from the same bunch that manufactured the blackout barrel I was shooting today.

I have a question regarding the importance of bi-pod placement on a rifle and how much can it affect accuracy.
Background: I recently built my first Ar 15, I am in the process of of trying to sight it in. I went to the range yesterday and my groups at 25 yards were absolutely terrible. I couldn't get a tight enough group to even bother trying to adjust windage or elevation on the scope. I have shot store bought bolt action rifles for 20 years and shoot handguns at the range 3 - 4 days a week. I came away from the range yesterday very disappointed. One thing that I suspect might be an issue is that when I went to install the bipod, I initially wanted to install it as far forward as possible so that the legs would fold backwards. When I went to do this one of the mounting screws was hitting the gas block which would then defeat the whole purpose of having a floating handguard. So I installed it further back so the legs fold forwards. Is it likely or possible that with the bi-pod mounted so far back that the recoil is causing the rifle to pivot on the bi-pod?
Why on earth are you posting this here versus in a sub-forum where you can get an answer? This is the Pit. Not a place for this type of question.

If you want an answer place it somewhere more appropriate or better yet, sign up to the on-line training. I think it will help you

My first thought is why dont you sight it in off a bag to see if its in the rifle or scope. Once youve eliminated those variables then put the bipod on and see if that affects it.
Thank you, that is a great idea. Now that you mention it, it seems like the obvious thing to do, I guess in a moment of frustration obvious things aren't so obvious.

Why on earth are you posting this here versus in a sub-forum where you can get an answer? This is the Pit. Not a place for this type of question.

If you want an answer place it somewhere more appropriate or better yet, sign up to the on-line training. I think it will help you
Forum rules say that when in doubt about correct place for a thread to place it here in the bear pit. I'm new here and just trying to follow rules and get useful advice.

Y’all are overlooking something. If you can’t get a tight enough group AT 25 YARDS to even see what you need to adjust E and W, the problem is NOT in where you put the bipod. You can do better than that Offhand at 25. Sounds like a rifle or scope problem, assuming shooter can successfully sight in his other guns.
I was always able to successfully sight in my other rifles. This being the first rifle that I have built I am still learning a lot and am grateful for good advice. The bi-pod is the first and easiest thing to fix I am hoping that the problem lies here and not with something more expensive.

is the barrel free floating? I had an issue recently and the gas block was knocking around the handguard. Once resolved, huge difference.
The barrel is free floating. That is something I have been paying attention to, and why I placed the bi-pod further back than I originally wanted to. One of the bi-pod mounting screws was hitting the gas block so I moved the bi-pod back further to a point where I didn't have interference.

Reactions: Frgood
I have also watched some folks get very frustrated shooting on hard dirt and cement. They were getting bipod bounce off of the hard surface.

I could shoot their rifle fine from sitting or prone. Their brake and bipod combo on cement gave an inconsistent bounce.

Lots of variables to sort out

factory Ammo off of a bench with bags is where I would start.

Reactions: Maggot
Need more details about the load, rifle specs, scope/rings/mount. There is a lot of wrong going on if you can’t sight in at 25 or hold a 1/2” group at that distance. What bipod is this, what handguard is it mounted on?
Never.
Never.
Never.
Mount your bipod backwards.
Look up how to properly load the bipod. You'll see why you dont mount them backward

Your scope mount is loose. Or you bought your barrel from the same bunch that manufactured the blackout barrel I was shooting today.
This particular bi-pod (Caldwell Accumax carbon fiber) allows the legs to fold either forwards or backwards, I can fold one leg forward and the other backwards as long as the leg doesn't hit something else on the rifle. There is no such thing as mounting the bi-pod backwards with this model. The scope mount is tight, I checked that first. (I have seen that problem before). The handguard is an aluminum and free floating, it seems pretty solid, I'd have to go dig out the package to see who made it. The barrel is 16" 1:8 twist made by dirty bird.

Forum rules say that when in doubt about correct place for a thread to place it here in the bear pit. I'm new here and just trying to follow rules and get useful advice.

Welcome to the Hide.

I have also watched some folks get very frustrated shooting on hard dirt and cement. They were getting bipod bounce off of the hard surface.

I could shoot their rifle fine from sitting or prone. Their brake and bipod combo on cement gave an inconsistent bounce.

Lots of variables to sort out

factory Ammo off of a bench with bags is where I would start.
I was shooting at a range that I am a member of, (indoor 100 yard range) off of a bench. factory ammo. I am going to shoot from bags next time to eliminate the bi-pod variable. I have never had a problem shooting from a bi-pod before, in fact, having a bi-pod on my 270 has allowed me to make some great shots, I have full confidence in taking a 400 + yard shot and have many times on deer and pronghorn. How does a brake combined with a bi-pod affect accuracy? So many rabbit holes to go down.

If you're using a real light grip like you might with a bolt rifle, try a firmer grip.

Honestly, I think it's something to do with the barrel install. Sounds like the barrel nut is not torqued or something has it cockeyed.

I'd start a new thread in semiauto subforum. Good luck.

As the other says, it’s not the bipod. At 25 yards it should be a nice group if the rifle is ok. Something is loose. Try with iron sights or just aim “instinctively” at 25 yards. Then you know if it’s the gun or the scope. Almost any new rifle, even homebuilt AR15 should work fine up to 100 yards with nice groups.

Mount you bipod as far forward as the handguard permits. Don't be upset if the folded bipod w-stick out beyond the muzzle, the looks aren't the important thing.

As above, learn the basics of bipod shooting. Start with the Boss Guy's book. Your post clearly indicates that you're new to this stuff, which is fine. Shooting the AR is an entirely different animal... That's actually good news, because there's less wrong to be corrected. Get the book, read the book, put it to work just as it says.

You'll get better, and you'll enjoy it too; instead of getting all steamed up and frustrated.

If it isn't fun, you're doing it wrong. I know that's true because I'm doing it all the time, myself.

Greg