• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Biased Stock reviews, hunting, PRS, whatever

FjallJager

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    I am not sure how many different fiberglass stocks, plastic stocks and chassis I have owned. My short attention span, and lack of a correctly functioning frontal lobe keeps me changing stocks like other people change underwear.

McMillan A-5:
    I currently own one, mine has a thumbwheel with two set screws to lock down the cheek piece. Adjustable (with spacers) for length of pull and is currently holding a long action American Rifle Company Nucleus ( a 1.0 version). It feels good, tracks fairly well and mine weighs 5 pounds.

The grip angle for my hands is ok, and I think the butt section could be better for shooting off bags. When I shoot off of a loaded bipod with a sand sock under the butt it is fine. Every A-5 I have has been far too long for me ( I am 5'11). I have always bought them with spacers, but have never used the spacers.

This isn't a dig on the McMillan A-5, but I don't care for the cheek wheel and thumb screw system. I wish McMillan would do a push button system like is on Oscar's GRS stocks. What I did is set the cheek height and then duct tape the entire thing down hard to keep it from moving.

McMillan A-TH:
    For me everything that is good about the A-5 exist on the A-TH plus you get better ergonomics for a right hander. I personally love the A-TH. If you take a GRS stock or a McMillan Thumbhole and you like those ergonomics you will like this stock. Saying that everyone's hands and body are different, this stock is not for everyone. I have never seen it written, but I believe this stock is heavily related to the Lazzeroni Thumbhole.

McMillan Lazzeroni Thumbhole:
    Not a tactical stock, but one of the all time best feeling rifle stocks on the planet (if you like thumbholes). The stock's designer Harry Lawson a famous Arizona gunsmith came up with the stock. I love it! Just like the propaganda from GRS point your finger at an object and look at how your hand is turned, and that is the ergonomics. Great! Mine is on a Mauser 98. Like the A-TH, this stock is not for everyone. There will be people that can't warm up to it.

Accuracy International AICS 1.0 and AICS 2.0:
    The first production chassis available for a 700 (that I know of), just a really good stock and like all thumbholes it either fits you or it doesn't. The only down side with the ones I own are that you can't use Magpul magazines. Maybe other AICS or newer ones will work with Magpuls.

GRS Berserk and Bifrost:
    Personally if you want the worlds most ergonomics rifle stocks this is where you look. I wish Oscar would make them out of carbon fiber or fiberglass for better stiffness as even properly bedded I don't get the accuracy with a GRS that I do out of a chassis or properly bedded fiberglass stock. Best plastic stock on the planet! At 3.5 pounds they usually end up quite a bit lighter than a fully adjustable version of a Manners T series or McMillan A series in standard fiberglass.

Manners T5-A:
    When compared to the McMillan A-TH this stock doesn't force your hand it to the same kind of position. For me both are super comfortable, but I find the A-TH to be more confining. My T5-A has considerably better hardware than any McMillan I have ever owned. The cheek piece is adjustable through the use of an Allen key. I am fine with that I don't need everything instantly adjustable. There are tons of new options through Terry Cross, and Chad from LRI on hardware. So don't let hardware choices get in your way.

Manners T4 Tikka:
    This stock and the A-5 are very similar ergonomically at least to my body. I am much more of a thumb hole guy and this one went down the road. Everything Manners builds is great, so if you are doing a Tikka consider this.

Iota Kremlin:
    I had this on a rifle and liked it and hated it at the same time. They tried to build the cheek tall enough that it would work for most actions. It really doesn't work for integral railed 700 clone with a big 56mm objective. Like the Greybull it is similar to the Gunwerks stocks in shape and function with the negative comb. The graftline from the two molds is more apparent on this stock than on any other stock I have ever owned. For a standard action using standard mounts (like Talley Ultra Lights) this is a great option. It is very light, which is a plus for a long range hunting rig, but like so many it is gone.

Greybull Precision:
    I have two of these, they have a less pronounced negative comb than the Iota Kremlin. I think they are fine for the coin. Greybull is long out of business, but they come up on ebay from time to time. One of them I cut down to 11 inches to fit my kids on a 6mm BR. These were made by Bell and Carlson, and it is honestly one of the better designed stocks B&C has ever sold. It is also very similar to the first generation Gunwerks stocks.

Reactions: Luke G and lash