• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Biathlon Thoughts

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
So watching tome geneocide games after cleaning this AM and before fucking up my reloads later in the reloading room. I mean how often is shooting on TV.

First, somewhere a small angry man from Colorado is screaming GET BEHIND THE RIFLE. They all were off center or at least the left leg was swung way out. Maybe its they are shooting unsupported.

Second, I gotta get me one of those rifles. That action looks hella cool. For those not in the know its an Anschutz 1827 Fortner: Straight Action pull. Puts our PRS rimfire to shame.

Third, someone get that China guy a napkin. Slobbering all over the place outta breath frozen down the front of his face. Probably running from the police cause he got his ass kicked by the Norwegians (brothers took 1 and 3).

Fourth, I need to start a youth biathlon circuit so we can win this shit. Also need to go back to big bore because big bore is fun.

muzzle control. They put the rifle on their back and when they picked up their poles, bent over and pointed it at everyone on the line.

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu
Looks like some of the shooters were still in the ski bindings when shooting prone - may not have been able to physically get straight behind the gun wearing skis.

I couldn't afford to shoot big bore if I could find the ammo. I picked up an inexpensive air rifle years ago after hearing Samuel Jackson dis Olympic 10M air rifle. Figured it was much harder than it looks. It is. Try hitting the period at the end of this sentence at 10M, unsupported and using a diopter/globe sight. Ten times in a row - one clean hole. I got so frustrated trying I went out and bought one of those spinner targets just to get a sense of accomplishment. Grandkids do love shooting at the spinner though and THIS is cheap shooting!

Also having a load of fun shooting 6.5 inch silhouettes at 200 yards with the 22! Been cannibalizing my 308 gun (Chassis, scope, bipod, trigger) as much as possible to build a competitive 22lr but still expect to come in at less than a quarter the cost of that Anschutz. Unfortunately it seems the problem is STILL the moron behind the trigger. Go figure.

No American has ever placed in the top three medals in Olympic Biathlon. I'll have to spend more time with the grandkids on the air rifle and do a better job of encouraging them to shoot.

Reactions: NoDopes
I am pretty certain they will end up on laser guns before the decade is over.

Biathlon is massively popular (the most popular winter sport in Europe) and small-bore requires a small range, bigbore would just be to much hassle.

Sometimes they literaly host it inside a city center
City-Biathlon-Wiesbaden-c-Norbert-Wilhelmi-14.jpg

Or in a stadium with spectators barely couple degrees ot of shooting line.

profile:mag-996x562

There used to be a summer biathlon race series in CA back in the '80s/90's
Back then Marlin was making an inexpensive intro rifle. Run a mile or a km, pick up the staged rifle, shoot, stage the rifle, run some more. Running was easy, skate skiing was more fun. Shooting while doing both was a challenge.
Then there were the oddball people participating.... A few were popping Valium, others beta blockers.

Biathalon is awesome.

Many cool winter sports. Its probably the coolest/baddest ass

I know a guy here in CO that competes in the Masters international comps.
And wins.
He runs that Annie.
Ran a Russian Izmash (sp) for a while.

So watching tome geneocide games after cleaning this AM and before fucking up my reloads later in the reloading room. I mean how often is shooting on TV.

First, somewhere a small angry man from Colorado is screaming GET BEHIND THE RIFLE. They all were off center or at least the left leg was swung way out. Maybe its they are shooting unsupported.

Second, I gotta get me one of those rifles. That action looks hella cool. For those not in the know its an Anschutz 1827 Fortner: Straight Action pull. Puts our PRS rimfire to shame.

Third, someone get that China guy a napkin. Slobbering all over the place outta breath frozen down the front of his face. Probably running from the police cause he got his ass kicked by the Norwegians (brothers took 1 and 3).

Fourth, I need to start a youth biathlon circuit so we can win this shit. Also need to go back to big bore because big bore is fun.
Their rifles rest on the support arm in the prone position, with the elbow contacting the ground. That does not work with the shoulders perpendicular and the spine parallel to the rifle.
Similar issue with the standing position. There, the elbow rests on the hip of the support side and again the upper body needs to be bladed against the target.

Reactions: DocRDS
have a Fortner and race ... part of the prone position is the fact you have to remain within your shooting lane and that includes your skis. Even if you could shoot positioned directly behind your rifle, your skis would interfere with both competitors on either side and you would be DQd. We do not use bipods and bags although juniors use air rifles and prone rests w 10m targets; action is an engineering wonder given how smooth it is, but shortages these days ... good luck finding a rifle. Interesting to see the progression in stocks the past decade, weight limits have kept exotic materials from being incorporated otherwise you would see some interesting rifle developments. Electronic targets and yes, they are considering eliminating 22lr for lasers to lower costs and make the sport more accessible, but so far no one seems to mind spending 4$K for a rifle and ammo keeps the manufactures happy ... and adds some uncertainty in cold conditions. Reading the wind is essential and adjusting on the fly is key, even at 50m.

Reactions: PDXGS
Third, someone get that China guy a napkin. Slobbering all over the place outta breath frozen down the front of his face. Probably running from the police cause he got his ass kicked by the Norwegians (brothers took 1 and 3). :love:

Last edited:
Looks like some of the shooters were still in the ski bindings when shooting prone - may not have been able to physically get straight behind the gun wearing skis.

I couldn't afford to shoot big bore if I could find the ammo. I picked up an inexpensive air rifle years ago after hearing Samuel Jackson dis Olympic 10M air rifle. Figured it was much harder than it looks. It is. Try hitting the period at the end of this sentence at 10M, unsupported and using a diopter/globe sight. Ten times in a row - one clean hole. I got so frustrated trying I went out and bought one of those spinner targets just to get a sense of accomplishment. Grandkids do love shooting at the spinner though and THIS is cheap shooting!

Also having a load of fun shooting 6.5 inch silhouettes at 200 yards with the 22! Been cannibalizing my 308 gun (Chassis, scope, bipod, trigger) as much as possible to build a competitive 22lr but still expect to come in at less than a quarter the cost of that Anschutz. Unfortunately it seems the problem is STILL the moron behind the trigger. Go figure.

No American has ever placed in the top three medals in Olympic Biathlon. Its up to you, bro. I'll have to spend more time with the grandkids on the air rifle and do a better job of encouraging them to shoot.