• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bibs for Coyote Hunting

lonely_wolf

Woof.
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2009
Up North
Anyone using bibs from Cabela's or Bass pro?

I am considering the Cabela's Dry-Plus 10-point Bibs or Bass Pro's Onyx ArcticShield Performance Fit Bibs

It gets really cold where I am. -30 with wind on a cold day, or if one is lucky, -15 on bright sunny afternoon. So I need something warm when I'm sitting, but I don't want anything too warm or bulky because I will be snowshoeing in and out of different areas and moving around. I'm thinking the Onyx would be best, as I could layer underneath depending on the weather, but they have no reviews as far as quality/durability or comfort when moving.

(As much as I would like to buy Arc'teryx or Sitka, $300+ anything just isn't in the cars this year or next. So while I'll appreciate any advice for other gear, please be humble! :) )

I've been using base layers and BDU's in the past. It's been fine for winter hiking and stand hunting, but I'm doubtful how comfortable that would be if I'm sitting in snow drifts.

Ya, I can't answer that for you. I sit for 40 min. max in snow and cold, then on to the next spot. Nothing more than a few layers(long undies, long sleeve shirts and sweatshirt) and my waterproof over-whites. To me stayin' dry is the most important. If I was gonna wear a set of bibs, it'd be some uninsulated carhartts. If i was gonna just sit in one spot all day that would be a diff. story, then I would wear something of the wool variety.

Last edited:
i bought a set of 5mm neoprene cabelas "ultimate waders" this year for geese when they were on sale for 119.00, they are super warm and comfortable, and am going to try it this year for coyotes when there is snow and slop on the ground. figure they will keep me dry and warm.

just something to think about.

I wear the Cabelas whitetail extreme Insulated bibs, and am happy with them. In fact I am Sitting in the deer stand right now. temp with wind chill is -5. Gore-tex is all I hunt in anymore. I would recommend them unless you are walking any distance. They are too warm, and it's pointless to get sweaty before you sit.

Last edited:
Anyone using bibs from Cabela's or Bass pro?

I am considering the Cabela's Dry-Plus 10-point Bibs or Bass Pro's Onyx ArcticShield Performance Fit Bibs

It gets really cold where I am. -30 with wind on a cold day, or if one is lucky, -15 on bright sunny afternoon. So I need something warm when I'm sitting, but I don't want anything too warm or bulky because I will be snowshoeing in and out of different areas and moving around. I'm thinking the Onyx would be best, as I could layer underneath depending on the weather, but they have no reviews as far as quality/durability or comfort when moving.

(As much as I would like to buy Arc'teryx or Sitka, $300+ anything just isn't in the cars this year or next. So while I'll appreciate any advice for other gear, please be humble! :) )

I've been using base layers and BDU's in the past. It's been fine for winter hiking and stand hunting, but I'm doubtful how comfortable that would be if I'm sitting in snow drifts.

We use sleeping bags in conjunction with a closed cell foam pad and wolf hunting at -40. Pull the bag down around our waist for more freedom or snug it up around the chest if cold. Laying and sitting in a sleeping bag is a whole lot warmer than bibs with no extra over warmth on approach. Since your BDU and base layers work now for hiking, take along a sleeping bag.

My advice would be the Kryptek Aegis extreme weater bibs, 100 % wind/water proof and plenty of insulation, very high quality
The zippers running hole length of the side of the pants, makes adjusting ventilation extremely easy, if you're moving and want to avoid sweat, witch is a killer in such temperatures.

If i'm static in snow, or it being very wet, jsut above 0 degrees and howling winds, this is what i use.
Fjellduken Hunter - Jerven AS

Keeps you warm on the worst days, and is light and easy to pack.
If it's extremely cold they're available with 170gr/m2 primaloft insulation instead of 100 or 60.

You won't like the Bibs after a while.
As you put things in your pockets they tend to start to drag and become uncomfortable. Layer up and buy some Ski Pants. I did this last year when hunting Coyotes in -20 and stayed warm all day.

Thank you for all the feedback. I guess I will try with my regular gear and see how it goes. I have a woobie, so I will pack it for warmth when sitting (like I do for the stand!). Depending, maybe I will just up date my base layer.