• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

bicycles

Jabronie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Montana
just bought a bicycle today, one of those ones that comes in a box and you put them together, well after pulling it out of the box i discovered a made in china sticker on it, how many people are frustrated having everything made over seas? on a another note those bicycles are a pain to put together...

Re: bicycles

Good bicycles are made in Taiwan. You must have been a cheapass and bought a bike at Wal-mart.

Personally, I'm content with paying the third world to work like slaves, and thankful that they are happy for our money in return for their hard work.

well it was kinda cheep, but i was expecting a little more from costco than made in china anyway

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jabronie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well it was kinda cheep, but i was expecting a little more from costco than made in china anyway </div></div>

A Taiwanese bicycle costs at least twice as much as the bike you bought at bare minimum.

The only currently mass-produced, U.S.-made road bicycle of which I'm aware is the Trek 6-series Madone. Price one of those and see how it compares--make sure you're sitting down when you do so.

Good bicycles aren't cheap. The crap that passes for a halfway decent bicycle in most stores is complete trash. You'd be hard pressed to find an even bare bones decent bicycle for under $4-500, depending on what you're looking for.

I am actually not sure why good bicycles cost so much, considering the fact that I've bought used motorcycles for about what a really good bicycle goes for, but the market bears pretty extreme prices for even minimally decent, durable bicycles.

Yeah, you can't buy a sub $1200 bike made in the USA anymore. Some Treks, some Cannondales, and a handful of other higher end makers are the only ones left. A lot of the bikes you buy these days are made by these guys Kinesis Bikes. They make massive quantities of frames, custom paint, decal, add components and you have your bike.

I bought a new Trek 1.2 on Saturday. Paid $840 for it and it was made in China as well. We'll have babies born with these stickers on them before long.

IMG_1528.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jabronie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">well it was kinda cheep, but i was expecting a little more from costco</span> than made in china anyway </div></div>

From the look of your picture, you need a helmet (just use a bucket)and a bike rack for your short bus....

cardboard-bicycle.jpg

So let me get this straight, you buy the cheapest f$cking bicycle in the world from a warehouse store and you complain that it's made in China?

b6vt6o.gif

I was looking at buying a bike, went out looking and have no clue what brands are good or bad. Anyone know some good brands to check out?

These are some of the brands I've seen in the local stores:
Haro
Raleigh
Diamondback
GT
Access
Mongoose

what kind of bike did you get? Giant builds theirs in Taiwan and they come out pretty well. I've worked at a bike shop in the past and yes, all those bikes are a pain to put together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Keebler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at buying a bike, went out looking and have no clue what brands are good or bad. Anyone know some good brands to check out? </div></div>

It depends on what kind of bicycle you're talking about buying. Brand mostly doesn't matter anyway. Fit is most important.

I just want a mountain bike to use for exercise on a mix of dirt trails or concrete.

Haro
Raleigh
Diamondback
GT
Access
Mongoose

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Keebler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just want a mountain bike to use for exercise on a mix of dirt trails or concrete.

Haro
Raleigh
Diamondback
GT
Access
Mongoose
</div></div>

Diamondback, GT and Raleigh out of this list. Haro is OK.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I would look at KHS. They use Specialized frame technology and the are much cheaper than Specialized. Great components, frames, and styles/sizes for every price range. You typically have to order them online. I absolutely abuse my KHS. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">http://www.khsbicycles.com/
You can search for a local dealer on their website.</span>

Many times the dealer can get last year's model at a substantial savings. That's what I did. In the xc series the difference in cost is the components. shocks, rims, etc.

Phylodog,

I think i got one of the last Trek OCLV's made in america. I'm still riding my model 5200. love it. Next carbon bike will probably be a Cannondale, if i ever have enough cash to afford it (doubt it).

-Paulus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Campy Record Specialized S-Works

Fantastic bike </div></div>

Yeah, for a fantastic budget, too. The groupset alone probably costs twice his budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Keebler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just want a mountain bike to use for exercise on a mix of dirt trails or concrete.
</div></div>

A mountain bike really isn't any fun to ride on the street.

The only recommendation I'd have is avoid dual suspension bikes unless you want your pedal power to go into compressing springs instead of pushing you down the road.

I'm not a crazy cyclist or anything but I do ride a few dozen miles a week.

Cervelo = $bank$

Why not watch ebay for a decent cannondale, trek, or specialized road bike thats used, but in good shape with decent components? bikes are like cars and depreciate like crazy. might be able to score a sweet deal...

-Paulus

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Keebler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just want a mountain bike to use for exercise on a mix of dirt trails or concrete.
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">A mountain bike really isn't any fun to ride on the street.</span>

The only recommendation <span style="font-weight: bold">I'd have is avoid dual suspension bikes unless you want your pedal power to go into compressing springs instead of pushing you down the road</span>.

I'm not a crazy cyclist or anything but I do ride a few dozen miles a week. </div></div>

I have air/oil Marzocchi forks and air/oil Fox RP23 rear with the low volume cannister. Both have lock out levers. Mountain bikes on the road (the way I ride) are a blast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt Keebler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just want a mountain bike to use for exercise on a mix of dirt trails or concrete.
</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">A mountain bike really isn't any fun to ride on the street.</span>

The only recommendation <span style="font-weight: bold">I'd have is avoid dual suspension bikes unless you want your pedal power to go into compressing springs instead of pushing you down the road</span>.

I'm not a crazy cyclist or anything but I do ride a few dozen miles a week. </div></div>

I have air/oil Marzocchi forks and air/oil Fox RP23 rear with the low volume cannister. Both have lock out levers. Mountain bikes on the road (the way I ride) are a blast. </div></div>

Lockouts exist, but the bikes are still heavy, the wheels are heavy and the tires ride like crap and wear quickly on the road.

I would love to own a mountain bike (I have 3 bikes but no MTB yet), but I wouldn't ride one on the road at all.

It is hard to find an affordable, made in the USA bike. I am a BMX bike rider, and worked/managed a few bike shops threw high school and after. For a budget, Fuji bikes are good.

Stay away from department store bikes. They are much more cheaply made than ones a bike shop will have, even if they are the same name. Schwinn is a great example. The bike shop Schwinn bikes come with much better components, and a person who knows how to work on a bike assembles them. Also, a local bike shop should be able to help and fit you to a bike so it will be easier for you to ride.

Hope this would help anyone!