• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Big Bang VS. Good shot?

Tikkad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
Abilene texas
This is a bit off topic but i was just curious to hear others opinion in this scenario. I was running dogs with a guy last night for hogs and we started shootin' the shit about hunting and what not. And somewhere along the conversation I mentioned that i reload for my rifles to increase accuracy.

Long story short he was saying that it is way better to have a 300 Win Mag/ 30-06/ ETC… then to have an accurate smaller caliber. I told him in my experience it is all about shot placement. and how if i had to choose one rifle to hunt with year round here in TX i would take an accurate 243 or even 223 long before a "target nicking, animal destroying rifle"

What are yalls thoughts on this?

scenario would be somewhere along the lines of .5 MOA 243 Vs 2+MOA 300 variant

Re: Big Bang VS. Good shot?

Shot placement with appropriate caliber for what you are hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like he could use some learning. Shot placement will always win. Always. </div></div>

Word!

265 pounds of pissed off Russian Boar, being chased by dogs, 65 yards, single shot from a .243AI, broke both shoulders, down and out, with an 85 grain TSX.....highly doubt it was just luck.

Find a different hunting buddy.......

HPIM2727.jpg

Given that field accuracy always degrades from the range i vote for super accurate rifle. The second factor is, if you are shooting a large magnum cartridge that you have to make a mental effort not to flinch, chances are when you get a little buck fever you are going to flinch. Now that guys 2 moa rifle with field conditions and adrenaline has become a 3-4 moa rifle. Now he shoots at a buck at 200 yds and nails it in the guts. All the knock down power has left him with is a sore shoulder, scoped eyesocket, and a wounded animal.

(deep breath from rant)...that said i think the tool should fit the job. You don't need a sledge hammer to drive a thumbtac, in fact you would probably miss. An accurate rifle in an appropriate caliber...

+1 for shot placement.

I have a hard time taking to the woods with anything that won't shoot MOA, be it .22 or 300 WM. Im not sure how a larger caliber will help your chances if the rifle isnt as accurate as the smaller option. The difference between getting lucky and "knicking" your target with a .223 vs. .300 (equally accurate) is .077 inches. If your friend consistently misses by less than 1/10th of an inch in the field, maybe his theory has some merit. My vote goes towards the more accurate rifle, big or small, whichever you are a better shot with.

Tell him to sign up at the Hide! He'll learn the predominant opinion real quick if he likes to read.

Sounds like the type who carrys a .45. "Shot placement!? Well I only have to hit the guy in the arm and he'll go down!"
grin.gif

thanks guys, Just was curious to hear some other opintions. Luckily when i hunt with this guy guns are not appart of the equation. and we are moth sub MOA with a Knife
grin.gif

Definitely shot placement over bad shot placement with a larger caliber rifle. But having a little larger caliber rifle that shoots 1 MOA may be better in some cases than a smaller cal that shoots 1/2. Alot of variables in your question

Any living animal with a hole in its heart or lungs only has one choice and they won't care how big the hole is, not for long.
Shot placement is vital

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MuleHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given that field accuracy always degrades from the range i vote for super accurate rifle. </div></div>

MuleHunter, what do you mean by this? I'm going to try hunting for the first time this year and I want to make sure I do it right. I never experienced a difference in accuracy at the range vs the field in the Marine Corps, so is there a variable I'm overlooking for hunting?

I don't mean to hijack OP's thread, and appreciate your help.

-Cory

He means that under field conditions you won't shoot the rifle as accurately as at the range. The rifle of course shoots where ever it is pointed.

Exactly..

This is why i like shooting Tactical matches before the hunting season as well. At the matches they put time constraints on you and force you to shoot in akward positions. This to me mimicks the Adrenaline and field conditions of hunting. It exposes what im weak at and forces me to improve on it. Its when you see that buck of a life time and all you have to support your rifle is a tree branch that the accuracy will not be what it is at the range. Unless you have been forced to try that position before and see what its limits are you may miss. If, at the range on a good day that big boomer is only capable of 1-2moa with you concentrating on not flinching, when you get in the field in a position that is alien to you, on a buck of a lifetime, Adrenaline pumping, are you going to shoot 1-2moa?

I like to load the most accurate load for the rifle to minimize the effects in the field, because if im honest with myself my 3/8 minute rifle at the range becomes a 1+ minute rifle in the field accounting for all the variables. And recoil is a definite variable when you are wanting to see if that buck went down.

Im not saying that magnums arent as accurate as small bore. This seems to be more of a debate of the stereo type Over Bore Magnum shooter that can't keep it on a pie plate at 100 vs the Small bore guy that favors accuracy. I think alot of the big bore guys don't account for flinch factor when they start quoting knock down power, and many of them are too proud to admit that they flinch. I can't tell you how many guys i have seen at the range with some Ultra Magnum that they plan on deer hunting with and they are shooting 4" plus groups and putting sandbags in between their gun and shoulder because they cant take the punishment. Then you hear they only hunt to about 1-200 yds, its rediculous! If they were to shoot a 243 their chances of flinching and making a bad shot would go way down, and so would the buck they shot with it.

Again i think its about selecting the right tool. If you want to shoot an animal at longer ranges than big magnums have their place. But to me a 6.5 lb 338 win mag for deer is insane.

I've seen some times when taking time for a "proper shot placement" on a big, really, really pissed of boar hog was not a luxury at the moment . . . just sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tikka'd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Long story short he was saying that it is way better to have a 300 Win Mag/ 30-06/ ETC… then to have an accurate smaller caliber. I told him in my experience it is all about shot placement. and how if i had to choose one rifle to hunt with year round here in TX i would take an accurate 243 or even 223 long before a "target nicking, animal destroying rifle"

What are yalls thoughts on this?

scenario would be somewhere along the lines of .5 MOA 243 Vs 2+MOA 300 variant
</div></div>

You got to hit the vital organs to bring it down, so shot placement is king. A .223 can do it, but I would at least want a .243 with hogs.They have a tough front shoulder. I've seen big hogs. I use a .270 140 grain sst in a howa 1500 bolt action in the field. In brush a 30-30 gets the job done. I am backed up with a 454 casull 5 shot, or sometimes 357 mag 8 shot revolver. It works for me. I've had a charge after a placed shot was high, as a hogs heart is low near the front leg. I switched to side arm, as a scoped shot is hard up close when the animal is running, and placed 2 shots straight into the chest of a 300lb hog with 357mag before it fell.

accuracy. no question there. if you don't hit, it doesn't matter what the 'boom' was.

Is it really a choice? Why would you need to pick one when you can easily have both? Most guys don't shoot enough to be accurate at the range or in the field and a big boomer isn't going to make up for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen some times when taking time for a "proper shot placement" on a big, really, really pissed of boar hog was not a luxury at the moment . . . just sayin' </div></div>

Then a smaller caliber might not be the best tool, perhaps something in an AR platform with more umph for that particular application. The point i was trying to make is that from my experience there is alot of over gunned hunters wounding animals in the field because they think bigger is better and close their eyes when they pull the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen some times when taking time for a "proper shot placement" on a big, really, really pissed of boar hog was not a luxury at the moment . . . just sayin' </div></div>

This is where "appropriate" caliber comes into play. But for shooting deer or other thin skinned non-dangerous game....

Hog hunting I carry a Ruger Deerslayer .44 mag. carbine usind a red dot sight with a 1911 Combat Commander on my hip.

We hunt in some this stuff.

Its funny really. You can ask different guys and get different answers. In most sporting goods stores that sell rifles you might hear knock down power. Atleast that is what I have heard in the past. On here you more than likely will hear accuracy and shot placement. For me I first want accuracy.
I rather much rather have an accurate .243 than a large magnum that was a guess where the shot would end up.
That being said last year I hunted with a 338 lapua. And it is really accurate. Best of both worlds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its funny really. You can ask different guys and get different answers. In most sporting goods stores that sell rifles you might hear knock down power. Atleast that is what I have heard in the past. On here you more than likely will hear accuracy and shot placement. For me I first want accuracy.
I rather much rather have an accurate .243 than a large magnum that was a guess where the shot would end up.
That being said last year I hunted with a 338 lapua. And it is really accurate. Best of both worlds. </div></div>

As long as your comfortable with it that's all that matters
laugh.gif
. But seriously it's good for elk, bear, moose. Not needed for whitetail or mule, but you can use it if you like to
grin.gif

Shot placement, always.

I do think it's responsible to hunt with an appropriate caliber to the game, though. For example, people have shot and killed elephants with 8mm mausers but I don't think it's responsible to do. The chance of a wounding shot is too great.

shot placement is alway #1 but i think a 223 is pushing it on a hog . in the brush i would be happy with a 30-30. But for all other hunting in north America a good 308 will do the Job. My friends Dad has hunted and killed several Elk with his 308 with no issues.

I think if i was hunting hogs i would use an AR in 6.8spc. Short light and weildy...Hog is definitely on my Hit list, i love pork.

+1 Shot placement

I've shot lots of pigs with lots of calibers. I've seen large hogs drop like bags of potatoes after taking a jacketed 223 round and I've seen pigs run 300+ yards with a 30-06 hit. Postmortem the common trend regardless of caliber was what organs the bullet hit or didn't hit. So shot placement is the key for me.

Take careful, responsible shots with a rifle that has reasonable power for game you are after and the rest takes care of itself.

Saying all that I think a 223 is a little light for hogs. Especially in think brushy areas like south Texas were an animal can be lost in under 50 yards. 243 or 6.8 are good.

30-06 is the best all around hunting round for North American game. There are so many different loads for different applications of use. If I could only have one caliber it would be 30-06.

Thankfully I am allowed to have multiple firearms
So I use .270win & 30-30 mostly with dear, hogs, and black bear. 223 on Coyote. Got a 300 win mag for an Elk trip one day.

An animal shot in the guts can run forever regardless of caliber, unless we're including 20mm in the realm of reality.

Conversely, a gun big enough to punch through the heart or both lungs will put them down acceptably quickly. So you need enough gun/bullet to do this RELIABLY in the animal you are hunting.

The question reminds me of the guy shooting next to me at a public range once, shooting TWO FOOT groups with his 338WM (with a strap-on should pad, flinching like mad on every shot). Off bags. A lot of good all that power would do him in the field, shooting off a knee or offhand.