• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Big Bore Cans (45 and bigger)

HenryTheAce

Pushing Tin
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Michigan
What’s everybody’s favorite big bore can for calibers like 450 bushmaster, 458 socom, 45-70, etc.? I own a VERS 458, Hybrid 46, and Obsidian 45 that I use a lot for 450 bushmaster. In my experience, the hybrid is the best of both worlds between suppression and weight. The obsidian is very light. The vers 458 is an absolute wale dick.

I don’t see the new Da Primal, new SiCo Hybrid 46M, or the Griffin Bushwhacker being any better than the standard hybrid 46

Really wish TBAC would release a 46 caliber titanium can!

Reactions: 30calDeath
I use a Hybrid on 458 SOCOM and am happy. There is no quiet suppressor for this round, even if shooting subs. At least not my AR 16"

I thought the Bowers was huge and heavy. I like the ASR mount on the Hybrid.

Don't know if the Verse is quieter than the Hybrid, but my goal was just to get under stupid loud and everyone at the range hating me.

Hav

I use a Hybrid on 458 SOCOM and am happy. There is no quiet suppressor for this round, even if shooting subs. At least not my AR 16"

I thought the Bowers was huge and heavy. I like the ASR mount on the Hybrid.

Don't know if the Verse is quieter than the Hybrid, but my goal was just to get under stupid loud and everyone at the range hating me.

Hav
No experience with the 458 socom but the VERS 458 and SiCo Hybrid on a 450bm are about the same to my ear. The VERS has a lower tone but not noticeable. Definitely not worth the weight and length in my opinion with that round.

What’s everybody’s favorite big bore can for calibers like 450 bushmaster, 458 socom, 45-70, etc.? I own a VERS 458, Hybrid 46, and Obsidian 45 that I use a lot for 450 bushmaster. In my experience, the hybrid is the best of both worlds between suppression and weight. The obsidian is very light. The vers 458 is an absolute wale dick.

I don’t see the new Da Primal, new SiCo Hybrid 46M, or the Griffin Bushwhacker being any better than the standard hybrid 46

Agreed with 99% of that. Have an Obsidian 45, Hybrid 46, and Vers 50. Annoyed the Versadapt system can't be converted to something with better muzzle devices. I mainly use the obsidian on pistols but have used it on a bushmaster 450. I've used the others on 450 bushmaster, 458 socom, and 45/70. Out of the 3 I'd go Hybrid for rifles every time, Obsidian for pistols every time. I don't think the other cans provide anything competitively better. I am glad DA is making larger bore/thread keymount muzzle devices as my hybrid has keymo on it.

On TBAC - I own multiple TBAC Ultras and like them a lot but not sure I want another. I like the quality, the build, the weight, but I really dislike the non-replaceable end caps. My next big bore can will probably be a Rex Silentum or DA Primal.

The new Dead Air Primal is a fully-welded .458 cal can that's threaded 1.375x24 for universal mounting options (like the Dead Air KeyMo system), and is rated for up to .338 Lapua Magnum. Sounds about perfect for what you're wanting.

And it's priced pretty competitively.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Agreed with 99% of that. Have an Obsidian 45, Hybrid 46, and Vers 50. Annoyed the Versadapt system can't be converted to something with better muzzle devices. I mainly use the obsidian on pistols but have used it on a bushmaster 450. I've used the others on 450 bushmaster, 458 socom, and 45/70. Out of the 3 I'd go Hybrid for rifles every time, Obsidian for pistols every time. I don't think the other cans provide anything competitively better. I am glad DA is making larger bore/thread keymount muzzle devices as my hybrid has keymo on it.

On TBAC - I own multiple TBAC Ultras and like them a lot but not sure I want another. I like the quality, the build, the weight, but I really dislike the non-replaceable end caps. My next big bore can will probably be a Rex Silentum or DA Primal.
Agreed, the hybrid is my favorite to use for the 450bm. I understand wanting replaceable end caps but if you plane on moving the can around to different platforms. I own multiple TBAC cans, they are my favorite for bolt action use which is what all my 450bm’s are. The PRIMAL does seem like a promising can.
The new Dead Air Primal is a fully-welded .458 cal can that's threaded 1.375x24 for universal mounting options (like the Dead Air KeyMo system), and is rated for up to .338 Lapua Magnum. Sounds about perfect for what you're wanting.

And it's priced pretty competitively.

Yeah the primal seems like a promising can but I don’t see it out performing the SiCo HYBRID. Really just wishing TBAC would launch a big bore can 😂

Agreed, the hybrid is my favorite to use for the 450bm. I understand wanting replaceable end caps but if you plane on moving the can around to different platforms. I own multiple TBAC cans, they are my favorite for bolt action use which is what all my 450bm’s are. The PRIMAL does seem like a promising can.

Yeah the primal seems like a promising can but I don’t see it out performing the SiCo HYBRID. Really just wishing TBAC would launch a big bore can 😂
I'm not worried about moving them around. I'm talking front end cap strikes. If it were to happen to any of my other cans, to repair it I would just swap out the front cap. TBAC would need to go back to TBAC. I do have alignment rods and check all my fits but shit happens.

Reactions: HenryTheAce
I'm not worried about moving them around. I'm talking front end cap strikes. If it were to happen to any of my other cans, to repair it I would just swap out the front cap. TBAC would need to go back to TBAC. I do have alignment rods and check all my fits but shit happens.
The Dead Air Primal has a removable and replaceable end cap. Same end caps as Sandman & Nomad, just .458 bore. So, if you wanted to run it on a .30 cal or smaller, you can put a Sandman or Nomad .30 or 5.56 end cap on it.

I bet that .458 bore with a 5.56 end cap would be nice and decently quiet, and that it would not be very gassy due to less-restricted back pressures. Might be something worth trying... I'd be interested to hear someone's test results.

The Dead Air Primal has a removable and replaceable end cap. Same end caps as Sandman & Nomad, just .458 bore. So, if you wanted to run it on a .30 cal or smaller, you can put a Sandman or Nomad .30 or 5.56 end cap on it.

I bet that .458 bore with a 5.56 end cap would be nice and decently quiet, and that it would not be very gassy due to less-restricted back pressures. Might be something worth trying... I'd be interested to hear someone's test results.
I know, I'm not talking about DA. I watch their IG also. I'm talking about TBAC.

I know, I'm not talking about DA. I watch their IG also. I'm talking about TBAC.
2 things that deterred me from buying TBAC after doing lots of research, and wanting one for years... Fully-welded, non user-serviceable end caps, and proprietary mount threads. If they would fix those 2 things, I would order a TBAC for my next can, but I'm pretty heavily invested in DA KeyMo/KeyMounts, so the fact it won't accept KeyMo, deters me from a TBAC. I really think they need to reconsider their stance on modifying these two things for the future. It would greatly improve their sales, because they make phenomenal cans. I, like many, just don't like being tied-down to a proprietary thread and mount system, if I don't want to be.

2 things that deterred me from buying TBAC after doing lots of research, and wanting one for years... Fully-welded, non user-serviceable end caps, and proprietary mount threads. If they would fix those 2 things, I would order a TBAC for my next can, but I'm pretty heavily invested in DA KeyMo/KeyMounts, so the fact it won't accept KeyMo, deters me from a TBAC. I really think they need to reconsider their stance on modifying these two things for the future. It would greatly improve their sales, because they make phenomenal cans. I, like many, just don't like being tied-down to a proprietary thread and mount system, if I don't want to be.
I don’t really understand the point of this though wanting versatility with the same mounting system. Do you run multiple different cans on the same rifle? Seems hard to sight a rifle in and be bouncing different cans on and off it. I just stick with the same can for that specific gun. It would suck having a end cap baffle strike and having to send it back vs just replacing it on the removable end cap cans.

I don’t really understand the point of this though wanting versatility with the same mounting system. Do you run multiple different cans on the same rifle? Seems hard to sight a rifle in and be bouncing different cans on and off it. I just stick with the same can for that specific gun. It would suck having a end cap baffle strike and having to send it back vs just replacing it on the removable end cap cans.
Yes...I run multiple different cans on different rifles doing sound testing and suppression volume and tone to see how they compare. Nothing scientific, I just like to have that versatility and ability to swap them on and off immediately with a quick twist. While I test them on all my different guns, most of them have their own specific host that I use them on almost exclusively. For example, my Sandman-S MIL-Contract can is used almost exclusively on my .300 BLK...That's it's home. My regular (black) Sandman-S gets swapped amongst many other AR's, but those are sighted in with that specific can, so my POI is always the same. My bolt-actions and 6.5 Grendel are sighted in my with Nomad-LT, so their POI is always on-point, as well. But the versatility of the KeyMo system, allows me to swap them all around onto anything/everything I want, if I so desire, or want to make a video doing some testing. 👍🏼

What this has proven to me through all the swapping around, is that my POI shifts are SO minimal with the KeyMo system between my different DA cans, it would appear unbelievable unless you witnessed it in person. The only time I get any real obvious shifts, are with subsonics...And I think that's due to the low velocity causing the gasses to have a greater affect on the bullet as it exits the muzzle/suppressor. But even then POI is about spot-on, just group sizes can increase or decrease. And when going from my SM-S to my Nomad-LT on my .300 BLK with subs, I can still hit the 200 yard gong most of the time with the same holdover (100 yard zero).

My AR-15 lower that has a 458 SOCOM upper, also has 300BO upper, both use the Hybrid.

When my 7.62 Saker was the only rifle suppressor I owned, I used it for guns with 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 threaded barrels. The mounting system was easier than changing out direct thread adapters every time I switched.

Reactions: FuhQ
My AR-15 lower that has a 458 SOCOM upper, also has 300BO upper, both use the Hybrid.

When my 7.62 Saker was the only rifle suppressor I owned, I used it for guns with 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 threaded barrels. The mounting system was easier than changing out direct thread adapters every time I switched.
No doubt, QD is better. Easier to swap the can from rifle to rifle. You’re still running the same can on the same rifle(s) though. Hence I don’t understand why people get caught up on versatile mounting systems. I own 16 cans and each have their role on certain rifles. I don’t care to put a 338 ultra on a AR15 for that I use sandman’s or surefires. The ones that are set up for Surefires cant shoot the sandman’s and vice versa, doesn’t bother me. They’re sighted in respectively to the can they wear.

@MudRunner2005 that makes sense if you’re running multiple cans on the same rifle for testing purposes. Probably just leave the rifle open threads then I assume and not attach a muzzle device treating it as a direct thread. In which case any suppressor would work regardless of the mounting system.

I play gun safe orgy, meaning I will decide I want a 300BO SBR setup for night hunting with thermal. I end up taking this lower, that upper, this scope and that suppressor.

Then I have to figure out how to best make whole all the doners. QD scope mounts and suppressor mounts are great for making this easy. Then it is just back to the range to sight it all in.

I play gun safe orgy, meaning I will decide I want a 300BO SBR setup for night hunting with thermal. I end up taking this lower, that upper, this scope and that suppressor.

Then I have to figure out how to best make whole all the doners. QD scope mounts and suppressor mounts are great for making this easy. Then it is just back to the range to sight it all in.
Lol that’s awesome. Nothing wrong with a little gun safe orgy :LOL:

Reactions: BigPrince
I really like the BW46. It's pretty simple, but still allows for using it on a lot of different platforms. It also comes with almost all of the hardware to do it. It's easy to take apart and clean, which is nice if you're shooting a lot of the larger grain dirtier powder like in a 45acp or similar but larger straight wall cases. It's also rated to 338LM. Price wise, you can find it for about the same as the Primal.

Anybody get their hands on a Banish 46? Seems pretty cool but 20oz at full length. Wonder how the 10” sounds vs say a Primal, Hybrid 46, and Bushwhacker.

I am still holding out for the dream of a 46cal titanium TBAC can meant solely for big bore… an ultra 7-46 would be :love:

It's not really a secret, we have a "Fly 45" in the works as a follow-on to the Fly9. We should have the official announcement package sometime in Q3. We've been testing it since since about March.

I have the same 3 you have, I use the vers 458 on big cartridges like 358 win, 444 marlin, 45-70... the extra volume and weight helps. I use the hybrid 45 on mid cartridges like 450 marlin, 458 socom... and the Obsidian 45 on pistol cartridges (44 mag, 45 acp, 10mm...). I would like to find a shorter/fatter can since all are fairly long, diameter is less of an issue than length, say 5" long but 2-3" in diameter.
Lately I have gone a different route will integrally suppressed barrels, especially with cartridges designed for short barrels. I had Suppressed weapons systems build me an integrally suppressed barrel for my Ruger 77/357. 8" barrel and 8" suppressor for 16" overall length so just a rifle, no double tax stamps needed. I should pick it up in the next few weeks and let you know how it is. Planning on another one for my 9mm bullpup CZ Scorpion rifle.

It's not really a secret, we have a "Fly 45" in the works as a follow-on to the Fly9. We should have the official announcement package sometime in Q3. We've been testing it since since about March.
Solid! Any plans to make more of a dedicated big bore can with a wide 1.8”+ diameter and 5-7” or so length. The pistol type diameter cans do ok for what they are on 450bm etc but they’re a little pitchy (my only pistol can experience is using the obsidian 45 though)

I have the same 3 you have, I use the vers 458 on big cartridges like 358 win, 444 marlin, 45-70... the extra volume and weight helps. I use the hybrid 45 on mid cartridges like 450 marlin, 458 socom... and the Obsidian 45 on pistol cartridges (44 mag, 45 acp, 10mm...). I would like to find a shorter/fatter can since all are fairly long, diameter is less of an issue than length, say 5" long but 2-3" in diameter.
Lately I have gone a different route will integrally suppressed barrels, especially with cartridges designed for short barrels. I had Suppressed weapons systems build me an integrally suppressed barrel for my Ruger 77/357. 8" barrel and 8" suppressor for 16" overall length so just a rifle, no double tax stamps needed. I should pick it up in the next few weeks and let you know how it is. Planning on another one for my 9mm bullpup CZ Scorpion rifle.
Agreed, the Wilson combat whisper seems to be the only short can although it’s not too fat and still comes in around the same Hybrid 46 and Primal weight class.

How is it with the integrals when cleaning?

To buy another big bore can since TBAC has the fly 45 out, the weight savings vs the PRIMAL/HYBRID is significant. Interested to see more people flock to the Fly 45 vs cans like the primal/hybrid/bushwhacker

Solid! Any plans to make more of a dedicated big bore can with a wide 1.8”+ diameter and 5-7” or so length. The pistol type diameter cans do ok for what they are on 450bm etc but they’re a little pitchy (my only pistol can experience is using the obsidian 45 though)
We could make a .45 cal Dominus with little effort, if there was sufficient demand for it

We could make a .45 cal Dominus with little effort, if there was sufficient demand for it

That'd be a nice option. There might also be some interest in a 9mm/0.36-cal option (FWIW, the Rugged Alaskan 360 Ti appears to be selling well).

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
I'm not sure it would be any quieter than the full length Fly45. If we get bored we might knock one out to test.

It'd be nice to have options for SBRs in cartridges like 350 Legend, 8.6 CM, 450 BM, and 45-70. I'm not terribly concerned if it meters a bit worse than a Fly45 as long as it's light and can be used with full-power ammo with a 12.5"ish barrel.

• Love
Take more of my money please.
I'm not sure it would be any quieter than the full length Fly45. If we get bored we might knock one out to test.
That Fly 45 seems like a badass can, but boring out a Dominus to see testing on that would be interesting!

Gun safe orgy. I have convinced my wife that is how we went from a couple of rifles and a shotgun or 2 in a small safe to 2 large safes that are bursting.

If there was a Fly45 w/ CB 45cal mounts my CC would be getting hammered. I need a better solution than a Hybrid46 w/ ASR mounts for (2) 450BMs, a 458socom, a 45SML, a 45/70. I'd probably swap over everything else I have for other bore CB mounts as well just to standardize where today I run A419 and ASR.

Turns out we made one last year and it metered worse than the Fly45. I can dig up the dB numbers tomorrow. A .45 cal bore is hard to suppress anyway, which is why the Fly45 does better in the long length, you need the length to take the gas off.

Honestly, I don't care much about that for the application that I envision for such a can, which would be to take the edge off a 450BM SBR for hunting applications. Don't need shoot-it-all-day suppression performance for what would basically be a few shots per year with no earpro. The same would be true for a Dominus bored for 9mm on a 350 Legend SBR.

I have no idea how many other people feel the same. This may not be a large market.

If there was a Fly45 w/ CB 45cal mounts my CC would be getting hammered. I need a better solution than a Hybrid46 w/ ASR mounts for (2) 450BMs, a 458socom, a 45SML, a 45/70. I'd probably swap over everything else I have for other bore CB mounts as well just to standardize where today I run A419 and ASR.

I want someone to make a QD mount with 3/4”x24 threads and a .45 cal hole so I can stop direct threading the can on my muzzleloader as it’s a giant pain in the ass to reload quickly.

I want someone to make a QD mount with 3/4”x24 threads and a .45 cal hole so I can stop direct threading the can on my muzzleloader as it’s a giant pain in the ass to reload quickly.
Same. 11/16-24 and 3/4-24 45bore qd mounts is a very underserved market. Only thing I could find was ASR and I do not like it at all.

Maxim 50 is what you seek.

o13RLke.jpg

Permanently attached to a non-firearm.

Took about a week from ordering to delivery at my office. :cool:

Maxim 50 is what you seek.

o13RLke.jpg

Permanently attached to a non-firearm.

Took about a week from ordering to delivery at my office. :cool:
Yeah but that’s black powder only and I run smokeless with my Hybrid 46.

Could run a titanium 11/16-24 DT/HUB for the big bores and then a CB2HUB adpater for the CB brakes on the other stuff. We'll have titanium DTHUB adapters and CB2HUB adapters pretty soon

Some good information here. Seems to be a lot more options from a year ago whe doing a search. Was just 1 or 2 options, now several manufacturers for big bore. Love the idea of big heavy subsonics.

Could run a titanium 11/16-24 DT/HUB for the big bores and then a CB2HUB adpater for the CB brakes on the other stuff. We'll have titanium DTHUB adapters and CB2HUB adapters pretty soon
So I could go with a Dominus-HUB and get just a 5/8-24 DTHUB adapter and pretend it's DT? Will you guys be including a DT adapter with HUB cans like you include 1 CB brake with CB models?

For what it’s worth, I’ve been shooting my Dead Air Primal for about 6 months on 450BM and 350 Legend.

I really like it. Light enough to carry around and suppresses enough to take the edge off 450BM when deer hunting and that’s what I wanted it for.

I use it with a Griffin Plan A mount and 11/16x24 minimalist flash hider taper mount.

Agreed, I enjoy the Primal on 450bm, haven’t tried it on anything else but I smacked a lot of deer with it this year. I run it with a SiCo Bravo 11/16-24 direct thread. Debating on if saving a handful of ounces from the primal to the TBAC SupaFly 45 is worth it.

Reactions: awpk03s
Thought I posted here already, but don’t see it… Same as OP: Bowers 458 versadapt. Heavy as hell, but does the job. Mine usually resides on a 10.5” 450 Bushmaster barrel…nestled under an equally huge in diameter, 15” hand guard:

i-KGMhBDg-X3.jpg

Punches nice big holes; perfect for the thick brush I usually have to chase game through if I’m not ”hunting” over bait in a stand. Final POA for the last 5-shot groups after getting that little 4-power scope dialed in at 25 yards was the line above the ‘7’

i-swXMh6k-X3.jpg