• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Big bore ELR rifle barrel block

coldboreAU

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2022
Austria
Hello shooters. I've typically only seen barrel blocks on benchrest guns. I'm late but now I've seen it on a .416 e.l.r. rifle. I would like to know your opinion on this. As an example is barrel block required if you want a 2" diameter 38" length Bull Barrel?

Attachments

• fcsass02.jpg
    fcsass02.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 154
  • corbin1902.jpg
    corbin1902.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 155
It’s definitely not required for a barrel that size

For what size do you need a barrel block? I think the purpose of a barrel block is to reduce stress on the action threads. If you put a 2" thick 38"long full bull barrel on a action then there is a lot of weight on the thread. If I'm wrong please tell me why a lot of 50 cal benchrest guys and some elr people using barrel blocks? I have to mention i know what a free floating action is but I don't see benefits against free floating barrels.

The only stress on action and barrel threads is torx of the barrel aginst the shoulder there is no stress from barrel length or weight. Its not needed and for the most part has no value. The only stress that exists with out one is stress on action screws and pillers. the most winning common platform in benchrest is action epoxy and bolted in place not a barrel block. If it added value and was that great everyone would be doing it.

Reactions: coldboreAU
I wouldn’t go as far as to a lot rub barrel blocks. Some do, yes. As for the size when one would be needed, in theory, if your action is the right size, never. I’ve had a few conversations with some guys that have ran them, and even considering making my XLR, elr stick into a barrel block setup.

Remember the days of full length barrel bedding? Some guys free float, some bed a pad, some full length bed and some run a barrel block. They can all be made to work

I wouldn’t go as far as to a lot rub barrel blocks. Some do, yes. As for the size when one would be needed, in theory, if your action is the right size, never. I’ve had a few conversations with some guys that have ran them, and even considering making my XLR, elr stick into a barrel block setup.

Remember the days of full length barrel bedding? Some guys free float, some bed a pad, some full length bed and some run a barrel block. They can all be made to work
@ Geno C. thanks for teaching me. I know it's off topic but what barrel do you run on your xlr elr rig?

Please note a properly installed barrel block does not tightly clamp the barrel it supports it
@ badassgunworks thanks for teaching me too. That's a good note cause i always thought a barrel block would be tightened to fully clamp the barrel.
Did you ever used or build a barrel block?

But i think if you want to build a free floating action like a rail gun. Then it will be necessary to fully tighten the barrel in the barrel block. Like those pictures
This type of rifle ranges from .22 to .50 cal.

Attachments

• Tompkinsx600.jpg
    Tompkinsx600.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 93
  • lougroup1506.jpg
    lougroup1506.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 94
But i think if you want to build a free floating action like a rail gun. Then it will be necessary to fully tighten the barrel in the barrel block. Like those pictures
This type of rifle ranges from .22 to .50 cal.
Yes, if you don’t fully tighten a barrel block when free floating your action, it’ll be a bad day.

@ Geno C. thanks for teaching me. I know it's off topic but what barrel do you run on your xlr elr rig?

@ badassgunworks thanks for teaching me too. That's a good note cause i always thought a barrel block would be tightened to fully clamp the barrel.
Did you ever used or build a barrel block?
I’m running a 1.450” straight 33” Bartlein