• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big box stores.......and their stories.

marku

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2008
Illinois
Well I went down to St Louis to Cabelas. Im in the market for a new scope so I was just looking. I wanted to look at a Leupold Vx3L scope to see how clear the optics were. So of course I pulled a number and waited my turn for help. While I was waiting a gentleman was buying a Bushmaster AR. So while they were doing paper work he was also looking at scopes. His first pick was a Nikon M223 that he really liked. So to start some small talk I explained to him that I owned one and was happy with it. Now this scope is nothing special, but its clear and has held up rather well on my slug gun. The associate then explains that he needs to wait for the new Leupold VX-R series because there better and also cheaper. Which first he didnt explain how they were better and after checking pricing his 299.99 quote was way off. Dealer pricing my father has starts off way above that. So once the guy was looking around again he tried getting him to look at the Mark AR Leupold. Again also a nice scope as my father owns one. Then he said the Mark AR is much better because Nikon is made in Japan and Leupold is made in the USA?? Well apparently he didnt know that first Leupold glass comes from Japan and also Japan makes some nice optics such as Nightforce, some Bushnell, and March.

So at this point this idot walks away and I look over at the guy and said, some of Leupolds glass is from Japan. This guy smiled and said, yeah I figured that, its hard to find stuff that is manufactured 100% in the USA.

So while they were finishing up the paper work this guy ask him about DPMS rifles. The guy then said DPMs is Bushmasters cheaper line of rifles. Which isnt true since a holding company named Cerberus owns DPMS, Bushmaster, Cobb and Remington and DPMS has been building their own rifles way before Cerberus bought them out.

So thats it just annoying. I didnt say much to him I think the people in the area new that he didnt know as much as he led on.

Re: Big box stores.......and their stories.

I really dislike that, and it happens everywhere. Misinformation, half truths, and outright lies for sales.

this is the exact reason I refuse to buy anything from Gander Mtn anymore that requires an associate.

At our Gander Mtn, there is ONE guy in the firearms dept. that knows what the hell he's talking about and I enjoy talking with him. Only been lucky enough to catch him not busy twice though. All the other associates are rude as hell and dumb to boot.

It would be one thing if they admitted to not knowing the answer to a question instead of making up some idiotic bullshit answer, then getting pissed and derogatory when you call them out on it. Get me your Manager sir.

I always find it a bit unnerving when i go to a firearms department in a sporting goods store, only to end up with some tactifag mall ninja trying to make me buy into his stupid stories.

I've found it easier to just ask to see whatever it is, fondle it, and hand it back without saying more than necessary.

Around here the big auto makers closed alot of dealerships. I figure those salesmen had to go somewhere, guess now we have an idea.

I have been in a few stores asking about Sigs P250, apparently you can buy different grips, slides and barrels and change them out by utilizing a single serial-numbered metal frame and fire control assembly. When I ask about it, nobody knows what I am talking about. They almost look at me like I am stupid. I really hate gun shops.

I like going there when the place is full. When the Sales Associate says somthing that is false, I get to say,"Excuse me, but you are dead wrong." Then I get to explain why he is wrong. They always hate that, but the people in line or the ones that are looking always smile. They smile because they love seeing some ID10T gets his brain cleaned out

I stopped into the local Farm King here the other day for some items for the bike I'm building (completely unrelated to firearms, obviously). They have a "outdoors" section similar to a small Bass Pro or Cabela's & a guy I know a little bit was behind the counter. The clowns that work there are notorious for displaying the kind of attitude and knowledge that we're talking about here, which is why this struck me as funny.

So I walked up and said, "What's the deal of the day?" His response was perfect, & the most honest response I've ever received there. "Nothing", he said. Nothing, that's about right.

Switch, why does that not surprise me
grin.gif
?

Just my opinion: Cabela's tends to be rather over-rated. Selection is decent. Customer service is marginal. Prices tend to be a little higher than their competetors, such as Scheel's. Employee knowledge is almost always poor. A friend from high school works at one now behind an ammo counter, and I know that she doesnt know shit, at least by most serious marksmen's standards.

I am not a hunter, but I do browse through on occasion, or go there to find something specific. I do purchase bulk ammo there on occasion when it is on sale.

Hope this isnt beating a dead horse.

Again, this is just my opinion, from my experiences with said company.

At the Cabela's in Reno it is hit or miss. One time while i was checking out a Colt Combat Elite the guy behind the counter was telling me how he has a Kimber that has over 4 million rounds through it. I said "Damn, really 4 million rounds" and he said yep, he keeps count by the empty primer boxes he keeps in his closet.

Only thing i really go there for is for reloading supplies when Sportsmans Warehouse does not have it. Every now and then they have good deals on used guns as well. Once they had a used HK45 for $499 in good shape, but another time they had a used Glock 23 that someone had stippled with a wood burner and put grip tape on damned near every part of it.

EZ

If you guys are ever in Anchorage, the compleat opposite is in business, there is a old doublewide trailer called Great Northern Guns, everyone of these employees know their stuff. This place pays their guys well, so the ones with brains stay. If one of the guys don't know, he will ask another. I'm so glad we have it up here. I don't have to put up with the big box stores,

The cabela's here in lacey, Washington is actually pretty good. If anyone lives around here. most of the people know what there talking about or can find some one that does. I hate when people try to sell you something they know nothing about.

I just don't rely on them to tell me what I need. I pretty much know what I want when I go into those places. I don't need their fucking help making my decision. I agree that most of them don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

Last fall I was in the market for a new set of binocs. At the time, I had it down to either the Mojave or Norfolk (both Leupold). Since I live 1.5hrs for any decent sized retail shop, I called Cabela's CS to see if they happened to know anything about them that I didn't already know. When I started asking questions about both, all I got were answers that you could find on Leupold's website. Then posed the question "which would you recommend?", answer: Mojave. WHY? "Because we sell more." Well that really helps me out. I'm pretty much done with getting anything other than clothing from Cabelas anymore.

BTW, I ended up getting the Leupold Golden Rind 10/17x42 Switch Powers. They are a great set of specs. only complaint in the focus adj is alittle too coarse for 17x mag.