• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big Brother Already Here

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Just had one of those spooky fish moments.

Last night went to get some lawn weed and feed. Didn't say anything, just went and got it. Today what shows up on my FB feed.

Scotts Lawn Care--Same brand I bought at the store. Now the thing is, I didn't search for it, Google It, Say it. I just went to store and bought it. So somehow the info of my recent purchases made it to FB advertising. And that and some scary ass implications. Yeah I've known about it a while, but it just really hits home how we live in s surveillance state. Even if it isn't the government, I'll bet dollars to donuts, Govt is in on it too.

queue adds for donuts...

One possibility:

Square, Inc. is an American financial services and digital payments company based in San Francisco, California. The company was founded in 2009 by Jack Dorsey and Jim McKelvey and launched its first platform in 2010

Guessing you paid with credit card. I know it happens if I buy something at home depot even though I hit no for an emailed receipt, i still get one and I'm sure that's why I will see it on my timeline.

Reactions: UKDslayer
I’ve had similar experiences. I was looking at hiking boots at Academy Sports and did not buy any. Two hours later I’m getting hiking boot adds.

Bet you have all the radios enabled on your phone along with location. If you have the Facebook app on your phone it basically handed them that you were in or near a home improvement store along with the fact it is Spring and there is your targeted advertising.

Bet you have all the radios enabled on your phone along with location. If you have the Facebook app on your phone it basically handed them that you were in or near a home improvement store along with the fact it is Spring and there is your targeted advertising.
Pay up. I disable all my stuff (including location), try and keep a low profile and use separate throw away emails for different sites. I also packet sniff what my computers are sending out and try and snag what the phone does on wi-fi.

I also leave my phone at home on a regular basis (like last night), because they can even track you off the wireless signal.

And so you see that is why I was kinda spooked....

My bet is Lowes sells info to someone that FB grabs up.

Reactions: Jumper and 6.5SH
Pay up. I disable all my stuff (including location), try and keep a low profile and use separate throw away emails for different sites. I also packet sniff what my computers are sending out and try and snag what the phone does on wi-fi.

I also leave my phone at home on a regular basis (like last night), because they can even track you off the wireless signal.

If paid with other than cash (or give them an email) quite likely. And kudos to reducing your electronic tracking footprint, not enough do.

Reactions: Jumper and DocRDS
I don’t think they’re nearly as omnipotent as they’re given credit for.
Everybody in your demographic got that ad because you’re all out buying turf builder in the spring.

If they had access to your credit card history why would they send you ads for things you already purchased?

If you have the FB app installed on your phone it's spying on you 24/7. Doesn't matter what else you do, FB is the biggest data mine out there.

Reactions: deersniper

Lowes military/responder discount requires pretty much all your private info.
If you have a cell phone, they have you

I don’t think they’re nearly as omnipotent as they’re given credit for.
Everybody in your demographic got that ad because you’re all out buying turf builder in the spring.

If they had access to your credit card history why would they send you ads for things you already purchased?

Because they do.
I bought my daughter a Nespresso machine for Christmas last year.
I'm still getting ads for it.

The dumb fucks know I bought it. Can't figure out why they keep trying to get me to buy another.

Reactions: barneybdb
my wife just got home from visiting her mom in Iowa. While visiting with her aunt at a nursing home, they brought up the subject of needing a new house coat. Got back to my mother-in-laws, turned on her computer and she got hit with 2 adds on house coats. Yes ur phone is listening to you.

its common knowledge you phone is listening to you.

first layer of defense is to turn off Siri and any other app that needs access to you microphone

but with each update they usually turn it back on

I installed a few "Shopper Track" Systems in some big retailers...basically it works like this: Cameras linked via the 'Net monitor all doors and traffic and literally catalog every person coming into the store. They track you and when you check out they put all the data together - what you bought, where you went, how long you were in the store, paid by cash/credit/debit - whose card, were do you bank, when was the last time you went into the store, etc.

They then sell this information as it allows advertisers to pinpoint you and yer spending habits, etc. There is a Buyers File on literally everyone who has ever walked into the Stores that employ this technology. Been going on for years and the database is pretty comprehensive by now. They know were you live, what cars you drive, yer bank balances - literally everything about you.

VooDoo

They are watching with the help of alien technology!

I work for a retailer and years ago our tech dept came to me with a “check this out”. They were able to link your credit card number in brick and mortar stores to your online account data. We could see how often you go to McDonald’s each week or any other place you used your card. We told them it was creepy and we weren’t going to use it.

That was about 5 years ago and it’s standard practice today all over the place. They still can’t track cash payments to you in any type of mass way.

anything you do that uses electronics leaves a footprint and it doesn’t take much to match footprints to feet.

I work for a retailer and years ago our tech dept came to me with a “check this out”. They were able to link your credit card number in brick and mortar stores to your online account data. We could see how often you go to McDonald’s each week or any other place you used your card. We told them it was creepy and we weren’t going to use it.

That was about 5 years ago and it’s standard practice today all over the place. They still can’t track cash payments to you in any type of mass way.

anything you do that uses electronics leaves a footprint and it doesn’t take much to match footprints to feet.
All of the stores using the Tracking Systems knows it all anyway with Facial Recognition and The Database. Using cash and turning off yer phone will slow them down but they still know after a few years everywhere you have been and everything you have purchased - how you paid for it - what colors you like - where you live - where you work -everything.

And it has been reconciled with property ownership and taxes and licenses and all that. You can hide but there is no way to run or get away. They know where you live, what you eat/buy, what car you drive, how much is in yer Savings/Checking - what yer credit card balance is, how may kids you have, how long you been married, where you work, what you paid in taxes, etc....all of it.

We are all just a data file on a server.

VooDoo

Best I can suggest: 1) Turn off wifi/bluetooth/gps on your phone. 2) Leave your phone in the car. 3) Leave your phone at home.

Pick one, see what works best for you.

All of the stores using the Tracking Systems knows it all anyway with Facial Recognition and The Database. Using cash and turning off yer phone will slow them down but they still know after a few years everywhere you have been and everything you have purchased - how you paid for it - what colors you like - where you live - where you work -everything.

And it has been reconciled with property ownership and taxes and licenses and all that. You can hide but there is no way to run or get away. They know where you live, what you eat/buy, what car you drive, how much is in yer Savings/Checking - what yer credit card balance is, how may kids you have, how long you been married, where you work, what you paid in taxes, etc....all of it.

We are all just a data file on a server.

VooDoo

I hope my many girlfriends never get access to this tech or my wife.

Many big box stores track customers by their phone's blutooth / NFC / WLAN MAC addresses, which integrates with real time bidding / RTB ad systems (they called this ambient tracking). They're essentially geomapping sections of the store and know that "Bob" spent "X" seconds in the top soil section, but never made a purchase.

The one that really creeps people out is a targeted advertising scheme referred to as "householding". "Bob" is married to "Alice". Bob is interested in landscaping, but Alice is not. The RTB ad networks will pop landscaping product ads on Alice's devices, because they know there's a strong chance that Alice would purchase something for Bob.

Their are numerous technical data points that can be used to put a geofence around Bob and Alice in a "household". Shared wifi network traffic, device proximity over long periods of time (as each device passively collects/ships their unique hardware device addresses, and obviously all their web session details. Every single person establishes "permanent" sessions with big tech companies (regardless of whether or not you create any accounts), and that session is most always resumed shortly after switching to new hardware (they track things like common typos, surfing habits, comms, et al).

Speaking of weed & feed, it's pretty funny how when I use Kik, I'm always getting ads for dispensaries and fast food. :ROFLMAO:

True story, right along with users of Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Reddit and whatever the next 10+ figure valued social media company is that charge nothing to their users to join.
If an online service is free, then you are the product and not a user.

If you have the FB app installed on your phone it's spying on you 24/7. Doesn't matter what else you do, FB is the biggest data mine out there.

Agree with you. It is a big problem nowadays as almost all social networks including Facebook get your personal details without your permission. Also, there are apps that are used to hack your phone and get your data and it is also a big problem. Logically, it is better not to use smartphones at all if you want to keep your privacy.

I've had merchants demand my info. even when paying in cash. "It's just for our records...." they say. I tell them (in a PC way) to "POUND SAND!

Why more people don’t use cash idk

Last night went to get some lawn weed and feed. Didn't say anything, just went and got it. Today what shows up on my FB feed.

Scotts Lawn Care--Same brand I bought at the store. Now the thing is, I didn't search for it, Google It, Say it. I just went to store and bought it. So somehow the info of my recent purchases made it to FB advertising. And that and some scary ass implications. Yeah I've known about it a while, but it just really hits home how we live in s surveillance state. Even if it isn't the government, I'll bet dollars to donuts, Govt is in on it too.

queue adds for donuts...
Just do what i did 9 or 10 years ago.
With every breath you take insult and belittle every jackass snowflake you can round up on Fuckface Book and they will ban you and problem solved.
Then convince anyone else you know with a fully functional brain to do the same.
Wash, rinse, repeat 👍

• Love
Reactions: Maggot
Your social credit score dropped fifteen points for starting this thread.
1626180045419.gif

Reactions: Redmanss

queue adds for donuts...
That happens when the place you bought the "stuff", has your Email or other identifying info. Once you buy, they either note that purchase for their own online advertising, or sell that transaction detail (including your contact info) to a 3rd party for advertising. Then search engines "suck" that info into the hopper and connect it to your online presence (like Google, etc.). If you close those "loyalty" accounts and purchase at stores "anonymously" ... this targeted and unsolicited advertising should stop. I've hit a point where I expect it, and mindlessly filter it into obscurity.

It goes ... Buy -> Loyalty Account -> 3rd Party -> Search Engine -> Resold Advertising = Seeing same or similar stuff in online sales panels.

It's got nothing to do with the government.

Reactions: XLR308
That happens when the place you bought the "stuff", has your Email or other identifying info. Once you buy, they either note that purchase for their own online advertising, or sell that transaction detail (including your contact info) to a 3rd party for advertising. Then search engines "suck" that info into the hopper and connect it to your online presence (like Google, etc.). If you close those "loyalty" accounts and purchase at stores "anonymously" ... this targeted and unsolicited advertising should stop. I've hit a point where I expect it, and mindlessly filter it into obscurity.

It goes ... Buy -> Loyalty Account -> 3rd Party -> Search Engine -> Resold Advertising = Seeing same or similar stuff in online sales panels.

LOL .... Wrong

One thing that really pisses me off is when the cashier ask for your phone number…..I tell them I do not give my number out…..one cashier was like have to put a number in……. I said great choose any seven digits you want to and type them in your computer but you’re not getting mine!

Reactions: Bullfrog08
One thing that really pisses me off is when the cashier ask for your phone number…..I tell them I do not give my number out…..one cashier was like have to put a number in……. I said great choose any seven digits you want to and type them in your computer but you’re not getting mine!
BR549

Man I really like my android that works without a google account and that has had no apps downloaded from anywhere, ever (except for TOR).

Agreed. I tried to return something to harbor freight w a receipt unopened purchased seconds ago. Wrong truck/trailer part accessory. Lady REFUSED to let me return w no phone number. So I said “555-555-5555” and she told me I can’t use that number.

doubled down and brought her manager over (at her request not mine) a LONG line built up.

only after an angry mob of people were yelling at the manager to refund me my monies because I literally had a receipt from seconds ago did he “override” the transaction.

all for my phone number?

was this his choice or have they been told by higher authority to get a number no matter what.

oh and it was a cash purchase. Ifk if that mattered

• Angry
Reactions: Steel+Killer
Agreed. I tried to return something to harbor freight w a receipt unopened purchased seconds ago. Wrong truck/trailer part accessory. Lady REFUSED to let me return w no phone number. So I said “555-555-5555” and she told me I can’t use that number.

doubled down and brought her manager over (at her request not mine) a LONG line built up.

only after an angry mob of people were yelling at the manager to refund me my monies because I literally had a receipt from seconds ago did he “override” the transaction.

all for my phone number?

was this his choice or have they been told by higher authority to get a number no matter what.

oh and it was a cash purchase. Ifk if that mattered
I always give them 382-5968, with my area code.

All the more reason to carry cash and a gun.
You won't need to worry about cash for too much longer. Keep an eye out for the .gov cryptocurrency that is coming out in the not too distant future......................Paper will be phased out, and yes, all of your transactions will be monitored. Welcome to the global society.

Don't believe me, then check out the plan that the chicoms have going with their version of cryptocurrency.

This has been going on for years. The credit card companies sell you buying information to anyone willing to pay for it. You iPhone will also listen to everything you say and FB will magically pop up with a product that you spoke about just hours ago. That's why I got rid of FB last year and I've never looked back.

You won't need to worry about cash for too much longer. Keep an eye out for the .gov cryptocurrency that is coming out in the not too distant future......................Paper will be phased out, and yes, all of your transactions will be monitored. Welcome to the global society.

Don't believe me, then check out the plan that the chicoms have going with their version of cryptocurrencyI’ll only barter in 22lr. How you choose to accept payment is your choice. I’m getting those cupcakes one way on another.
In 2017 I bought an iMac with 22lr as barter. I’ll be fine.