• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big changes for NRL22/NRL22X

This is good news. At least locally, nrl22 has pretty much lost everyone’s interest. I haven’t shot a monthly match in probably 6mo. Local match has turned into a monthly PRS style .22 match out to 300yds and has more shooters than any nrl22 match had here.

Yeah, maybe time for me to get a gamer plate. BTW, what the hell is a gamer plate?
An amp plate. A 'rail mounted plate' that was controversial during the last nrl season until it was banned. Lol. Big thread about it here

This is good news. At least locally, nrl22 has pretty much lost everyone’s interest. I haven’t shot a monthly match in probably 6mo. Local match has turned into a monthly PRS style .22 match out to 300yds and has more shooters than any nrl22 match had here.
Agree. I did one NRL match and found it much less than entertaining compared to scaled-down PRS matches to 300 yards. That one match had a lot of silliness added, intended to make the shooter have to actually think while on the clock... who wants to do that? :rolleyes:

From the little bit of investigating I did into other NRL22 COF/stages, it appeared that many matches had standing and kneeling stages. Due to an old injury, the traditional kneeling position is out of the question for me. And a 13-pound rifle is not really ideal for standing freehand shots even for shooters not as old and arthritic as I am.

So I'm hopeful that this "evolution" will be more appealing and available nearby, once we can start having matches again.

Agree. I did one NRL match and found it much less than entertaining compared to scaled-down PRS matches to 300 yards. That one match had a lot of silliness added, intended to make the shooter have to actually think while on the clock... who wants to do that? :rolleyes:

From the little bit of investigating I did into other NRL22 COF/stages, it appeared that many matches had standing and kneeling stages. Due to an old injury, the traditional kneeling position is out of the question for me. And a 13-pound rifle is not really ideal for standing freehand shots even for shooters not as old and arthritic as I am.

So I'm hopeful that this "evolution" will be more appealing and available nearby, once we can start having matches again.

Nrl22 is/was good for bringing in beginners while also being low drag on small ranges.

But, the downside to this is after a year or two with the same props, it’s very hard to keep the cof fresh. Combine that with the offhand shooting not being at appropriately sized targets, and it gets stale fast for anyone who really gets into it.

So, I think this is a good move. The only thing I’d like to see is the option for clubs to run Nrl22x events every month instead of nrl22 (if the club so desires).

For example, the most local club near me started out with nrl22, but has since moved to hosting a .22 prs match every month out to 300yds. It’s drawing ~30 shooters and nrl22 is drawing about 8.

So, this coming year they are considering dropping nrl22 and just running the .22prs. But, if nrl would be willing to accept the match as a “Nrl22x club” they would happily submit the payment and match scores. As the actually points scored in nrl22 don’t matter. You either win your class or you don’t when it comes to the monthly drawing. Obviously these scores wouldn’t count for the Nrl22x season points.

Also, if this club dumps nrl22 for next year, the only shooters who will sign up for nrl22 will be those like myself who will go shoot the Nrl22x single day matches. So it’s a win win all the way around. Club still flies under nrl22 and everyone gets the nrl/prs like .22 match.

(is already been floated “well just do the nrl22 stages and then add other stuff. But most everyone has said they wouldn’t attend. Everyone is tired of shooting of the same bucket and ladder every match, or attempting to hit a 10pt bullseye while shooting unsupported. Shit like that doesn’t keep the experienced shooters around)

I have to agree that a change was needed. The five stages of NRL course of fire was over redundant. Like stated above shooting the same props every month was getting old. I’d still shoot it just because I love rimfire so much. I just hope NRLX doesn’t turn into an equipment race cause I did like the simplicity of equipment used in NRL22 and also who really wants to shoot swingers at 25-30yds.

I have to agree that a change was needed. The five stages of NRL course of fire was over redundant. Like stated above shooting the same props every month was getting old. I’d still shoot it just because I love rimfire so much. I just hope it doesn’t turn into an equipment race .

I have to agree that a change was needed. The five stages of NRL course of fire was over redundant. Like stated above shooting the same props every month was getting old. I’d still shoot it just because I love rimfire so much. I just hope NRLX doesn’t turn into an equipment race cause I did like the simplicity of equipment used in NRL22 and also who really wants to shoot swingers at 25-30yds.

It will be the exact same thing as nrl/prs. Generally speaking, unless the MD allows something or words something incorrectly, “gear race“ is typically and excuse.

That being said, if someone considers a gear race things like a full vudoo build with zco/theta/Schmidt optics......then I think they will be very disappointed.

I doubt you’re gonna see too many 10/22/rprr/stock cz running cci standard in the winners circle at a match out to 300 or more yds.

Reactions: MPrimo
It will be the exact same thing as nrl/prs. Generally speaking, unless the MD allows something or words something incorrectly, “gear race“ is typically and excuse.

That being said, if someone considers a gear race things like a full vudoo build with zco/theta/Schmidt optics......then I think they will be very disappointed.

I doubt you’re gonna see too many 10/22/rprr/stock cz running cci standard in the winners circle at a match out to 300 or more yds.
No I meant going to the line dragging three or four bags, tripods and such.

Part of my draw to the comps were the simplicity. A bag, a sling, a rifle.

I am a very competitive person but I really enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. We are all there to pull a trigger and have fun. I enjoy everyone helping everyone out. I outfitted an extra rifle just in case someone else needs one. That’s a good vibe to be around. As long as the attitudes stay the same, I’ll encourage all new disciplines.

No matter what gear is allowed or not, I’m gonna need a lot of practice anyway!

Reactions: Seymour Fish
This is great news for those that have the facilities. Most clubs out east are limited by distance, and the original idea of NRL22 was to offer it to a majority of shooters with ranges limited to 100 yds.

Intended to be an intro to NRL, center fire rifle game, it has become its own entity.

Do they need to reconsider some of the stage configurations, yes, IMO.

Is NRL22 something the whole family can do on a budget, yes. Base and Open classes gives one a choice. Paper stages need serious reconsideration, so they are not "score busters" for most.

Rules need to be more refined, and I for one wouldn't complain one bit if there was a class for Seniors, Super Seniors. Hard to compete with the 30-50 year olds when one is 70+.

But I digress, I go to shoot some rounds in a "formal" shooting match, meet and talk with others there, have some fun and support the clubs.

JMHO

This kind of sounds like what our MD is already doing. He's a PRS guy so he typically adds 5 more stages to the NRL22 published ones that reproduce some of the things he's seen in PRS matches. He's had us shooting at 2/3 IPSCs at 400 yards, taking "rooftop" shots at varying ranges (off of a 6' shingled ramp to simulate the roof), set up a multi-level windowed barrier to shoot over and through, all kinds of stuff. We score the matches on all 10 stages but he also scores the 5 NRL22 stages separately for reporting to Nationals. It's loads of fun and we never know what he'll come up with the next month.

This kind of sounds like what our MD is already doing. He's a PRS guy so he typically adds 5 more stages to the NRL22 published ones that reproduce some of the things he's seen in PRS matches. He's had us shooting at 2/3 IPSCs at 400 yards, taking "rooftop" shots at varying ranges (off of a 6' shingled ramp to simulate the roof), set up a multi-level windowed barrier to shoot over and through, all kinds of stuff. We score the matches on all 10 stages but he also scores the 5 NRL22 stages separately for reporting to Nationals. It's loads of fun and we never know what he'll come up with the next month.

Hmm, I like this idea. We are having a 22 precision match and I'm looking for ideas and these are good. I had a 22 ELR match earlier this month out to 600 but that isn't for everybody so I like the 5 extras added. Thanks,

No I meant going to the line dragging three or four bags, tripods and such.
Just because it is allowed, and people do it, does not mean it gets you more hits. Most of the top guys have all the shit you could ever ask for and end up shooting most stages with a barricade bag and a rifle. A few stages a year lend themselves to the equipment race in NRL/PRS. In the matches I have attended shooters trying to use too much stuff time out. I have been guilty of it as well.

I have seen some matches that look like they might be designed around tripod use in some of the aar and YouTube videos, but I have never shot in a match like that.

Mostly, trying to win at the gear race will keep you always changing techniques and gear while never really getting good at the basics. Most of the points come from having a precise and accurate rifle and dope and knowing how to put that to use. All the gear in the world can't buy a win. You might be able to buy the last 2-3 points to go from 4th to 1st, but no one is buying their way from 50th to 5th.

Reactions: Bo Ployhar
Every video I watch where a shooter is dragging a tripod around with them to lean on drives me nuts ... Hoping the 22 matches don't go that way.

Every video I watch where a shooter is dragging a tripod around with them to lean on drives me nuts ... Hoping the 22 matches don't go that way.

Nrl22x rules don’t limit equipment, so I’d expect to see tripods at those matches. Nrl22 only allows one small piece of gear. So the local monthly matches won’t allow them. I’d expect the national championship to follow the open rules of Nrl22x.

I’d also probably work on your mental game. While it’s entertaining to make fun of anyone using a bunch of shit on a stage, it really has no effect on anyone else except that shooter.

I figured out a while back, If I never miss I can never lose. Until I’m never missing, it’s kinda pointless to worry about what someone else is doing on a stage. Is that person using a tripod holding you back from enjoying yourself? Or are you letting things that don’t matter bug you?

I promise there’s no one who can say “that guy beat me because he used a tripod.”

My issue is with the constant escalation of investment. Specifically with 22 events where the initial impetus for creating such a game was based largely on investment and practice cost. I am a Master Class sporting clays shooter so I think I manage the mental aspects of competition pretty well. What I don't manage well is not being afforded all appropriate options to create a proper solution based solely on investment of funds in what should be an equitable competition.

My issue is with the constant escalation of investment. Specifically with 22 events where the initial impetus for creating such a game was based largely on investment and practice cost. I am a Master Class sporting clays shooter so I think I manage the mental aspects of competition pretty well. What I don't manage well is not being afforded all appropriate options to create a proper solution based solely on investment of funds in what should be an equitable competition.

I have never seen anyone using a tripod as a rear support on a *properly designed* stage you couldn’t clean with just a bag and a rifle.

There are times when it’s some Mickey Mouse prop that has a 1-2mil wobble. But even with every piece of gear imaginable it’s gonna be a shit show. Those MD’s usually either change their mindset or they fade away as an MD because people get tired of circus stages.

Not to mention, there is always a tripod around to borrow. But I can promise you, if you haven’t practiced using it, you’ll likely drop more shots than you would without it.

“Gear race” is almost always another excuse.

So is each MD making his/her own match in the NRL22X?

Or is somebody submitting COF's (just involving more distance and equipment )?

If every location's COF is unique to that particular MD's format.....how are they making a comparison in terms of scores to say another club?

Just looking for clarification....

Nrl22x is is basically border Wars for .22.

MD’s submitted applications to hold a match. If approved they design a one day match with little restrictions.

Nrl22x will *not* (currently) be a club or monthly deal. Just a series of one day matches around the country.

Nrl22 will still have a monthly standardized 5 stage cof

Has it been determined what distances they will be shooting or the max distance

That's totally up to each MD.. As far as I know, the only standardization is that everyone's rifles have to shoot 22 rimfire. NRL22X is basically NRL/PRS matches but only for 1 day and 22 rimfire.

I heard its up to the match directors but they want to make sure hits can be called, they mentioned that at nations it was around 340 i think and they used the magnetospeed indicator.

I would be surprised to see anything over 350.

Depending on target size and wind, it gets a bit rough past 300. Especially if there’s not a soft berm behind it to see your shot if you miss.

Thank you. It was directed can anyone who wanted to answer I was just curious what size targets you were shooting at we have a range out to 500 and are setting it up for rimfire as we speak.

Reactions: reubenski
We have a monthly match. Goes out to 300 or a little more at times.

Usually only have hit indicators on the 2-250+ stuff.

The rest, as long as you’re using 1/4 +/- plate is pretty easy to see impacts. As well as the sound.

And I’ve watched .22 bullets fly and hit steel without the flasher activating.

Possibility of 500 yards...oooofffff. I don't have enough finger and toes to calculate wind drift out that far. How far to left should I aim for this 10mph wind???

Attachments

• 88d2c345b8a971da19369ef8fd9ac2781888eeb1dc5226af9d59213bce089e52.jpg
    88d2c345b8a971da19369ef8fd9ac2781888eeb1dc5226af9d59213bce089e52.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 79
View attachment 7382020

Date: 13 September, 2020.
Location: M Lazy C Ranch – 801 Co Rd 453, Lake George, CO 80827

The Match: We will have 10 Stages with 120-140 rounds. Target distances will be from 25 to 400 Yards. Most firing positions are on flat grassy terrain or a lightly used, dirt road in good condition. None of them are covered from rain or sun. The range is on the east side of a working dude rancn and a forested picnic table area is located just 10 to 50 yds from the firing line for relaxing. All the stages are on line with each other with minimal walking. We will have a mix of prone, positional, and unsupported. Spinners, troop lines, movers, and KYL's. One stage will be timed for a tie breaker.

We will be offering a Train Up day for $20 from 1300 - 1700 Saturday afternoon. Target boards at 25, 50, and 100yds will be available along with a Troop Line out to 300yds and three positional stages. These will not be on the match's COF. Great deals if you plan on coming up for the bear chilli cookout Saturday night.

Lodging: There are cabins, bunkhouse, tent sites, and RV sites with shore power all on site. Nearest lodging in town will be 35 mins SE in Woodland Park or 39 mins NW in Fairplay. Denver is 2 hours away and Colorado Spring is 1 hour away. Both offer plenty of lodging and amenities and airports.

Make your reservations for lodging at:

www.mlazyc.com

View attachment 7382021

View attachment 7382022

Signed up yesterday. May have been first. 🤠

Edit: signed up both on Practice Score (first) then thought the NRL22X web page store.

Will be staying at 11 mile reservoir.

Edit 2: Looks like I'm the only signup for the actual match via Practice Score. Glad I decided to also sign up via the NRL22X store. I'm guessing the Practice Score is invalid.

I did sign up for the Train Up via Practice Score and your link.

Last edited: