• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big Horn Origin(stainless) or ARC Nucleus

Steve_O

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2020
Hate to do another Origin vs Nucleus thread but since the Origin is now available In stainless which one would push me towards for a .300 PRC long range rifle build in a MPA Matrix chassis? I have the chassis and need to order my barreled action very soon. Iam leaning towards the Origin but the nucleus is appealing also. Thanks.

Have both, much prefer the Zermatt actions. Smoother, less bolt lift/close pressure, much easier bolt head swap, tool-less bolt disassembly, simpler/easier to use bolt release. The Nuke does have a 72 degree bolt lift which is nice if you like to use low rings and mount your optic as low as possible. My .02

Have both, much prefer the Zermatt actions. Smoother, less bolt lift/close pressure, much easier bolt head swap, tool-less bolt disassembly, simpler/easier to use bolt release. The Nuke does have a 72 degree bolt lift which is nice if you like to use low rings and mount your optic as low as possible. My .02

I haven’t played with either but from the videos I seen it does seem the Zermatts are smoother in operation. I will probably just order a barreled Stainless Steel Origin from PVA on Monday.

Why no Archimedes option?

Tell me to fuck off but I just bought one so hoping you come back with some sort of validation for me... 😁

Reactions: diverdon
Why no Archimedes option?

Tell me to fuck off but I just bought one so hoping you come back with some sort of validation for me... 😁

No Archimedes because Iam a cheap ass😂 Iam almost done with my Tikka PRS build so Iam ballin on a budget with this other build lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Steel head
I'm running 30mm low seekins rings on my origins. Unless you get rid of the picatinny rail and go direct mount the handle shouldnt be the limiting factor.

I can't speak for the nucleus, I cancelled my pre-order after waiting well past the original delivery date, but the origin is a great value for the money. Very simple design that works great. Origin barrels in the exchange rather frequently as well if you're ever looking for used prefits.

I love my Origin, great action for the price. If you are looking at price sensitive actions you should take a look at the defiance machine tenacity also.

I have both and love both. With the 16lb firing pin spring the Nuke is ~1lb heavier bolt lift (5 vs. 6) but closes with an almost uncanny ease. The Nuke also lets a TT Primary get down to 16oz while my Origin holds the 24oz factory spec.

You can not go wrong with either...

My nuke 2.0 has been top notch. Had it since last summer.

Nucleus has an 80deg bolt lift, customisable striker springs (comes with 25lbs and can go as low as 16lbs ie 40% lighter), has a normal push button bolt stop like any other Remington clone action (it’s just on the other side and stronger), has a bayonet style bolt shroud just like the bighorn (ie no tools and even if you decide to use a hex screw driver it takes an extra 5 seconds), is smoother and binds less than a bighorn (three lug with three anti bind rails) and swapping the bolt head/measuring to the lands distance is even easier and simpler because there is no crush washer.

Nucleus has a ton of features and no downsides, it just has a different personality and depends on if you prefer the two lug 90deg Remington clone feel or you’re happy to try something new and different.

I love my Origin, great action for the price. If you are looking at price sensitive actions you should take a look at the defiance machine tenacity also.

The Tenacity does look good also for the price. What would make someone buy the Tenacity over the others listed?

Nucleus has an 80deg bolt lift, customisable striker springs (comes with 25lbs and can go as low as 16lbs ie 40% lighter), has a normal push button bolt stop like any other Remington clone action (it’s just on the other side and stronger), has a bayonet style bolt shroud just like the bighorn (ie no tools and even if you decide to use a hex screw driver it takes an extra 5 seconds), is smoother and binds less than a bighorn (three lug with three anti bind rails) and swapping the bolt head/measuring to the lands distance is even easier and simpler because there is no crush washer.

Nucleus has a ton of features and no downsides, it just has a different personality and depends on if you prefer the two lug 90deg Remington clone feel or you’re happy to try something new and different.
Well not mine. The bolt stop is a neat idea, but a pain in the ass in execution. It has to be rotated to the perfect spot for removal and same to reinstall. It is pretty much a two hand operation while a bighorn is much simpler/easier I have never seen a bolt stop break so I'm not sure why Ted felt the need to go so overboard on his? The original Nuke was not tool-less in its' bolt disassembly but I guess they fixed that now. I also have to disagree with the binds less statement. My Nuke is definitely not as smooth and is easier to bind. BUT neither is actually a problem when you use the gun as intended. I hate when people talk about binding actions, run it straight and it won't do it. Every product everywhere has a downside to it, its just a matter of figuring out what works for you. I'm glad you like your Nucleus.

It might be that I just like eccentric stuff...I got an Nuc2. I like three lug actions generally. They both offer CRF and inertial ejection. They're both 700 foot print. Really comes down to personal preference, I suppose, on whether you like ARC's style/mentality. The Nuc is a little eccentric, the Origin is more vanilla (and I say that as a guy that LOVES vanilla). I sent it off to meet up with a Manners CS-2 and a Proof CF barrel.** Looking forward to getting it back so I can post glamor shots ;-). I can't say I noticed any issues with the bolt stop...seemed pretty easy to use, but that was just the bare action, so who knows.

**: Sort of defeats the purpose of having a pre-fit capable action, but I can't blame a smith for wanting you to send the rifle so they can do the work. In the future, I'll run pre-fits, but for initial setup it was wait two or more months on a pre-fit or send the action for a <1 month turn on an in stock blank (to be determined if they make it...).

Well not mine. The bolt stop is a neat idea, but a pain in the ass in execution. It has to be rotated to the perfect spot for removal and same to reinstall. It is pretty much a two hand operation while a bighorn is much simpler/easier I have never seen a bolt stop break so I'm not sure why Ted felt the need to go so overboard on his? The original Nuke was not tool-less in its' bolt disassembly but I guess they fixed that now. I also have to disagree with the binds less statement. My Nuke is definitely not as smooth and is easier to bind. BUT neither is actually a problem when you use the gun as intended. I hate when people talk about binding actions, run it straight and it won't do it. Every product everywhere has a downside to it, its just a matter of figuring out what works for you. I'm glad you like your Nucleus.
I don’t have a nucleus and it doesn’t matter what the originals were like since you can’t buy them anymore.

Origin. You'll probably never have any prefit issues. Zermatt's tolerances are the most consistent.

Reactions: Steve_O
good call, Ive got an origin and love it. although im changing between calibers enough that i kinda wish i had gone with a TL3 just for the sake of the recoil lug. but really i have no complaints about the origin and dealing with zermatt has been great.

again, by the end of your build the price difference between the origin and a TL3 is a drop in the bucket.