• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big Mistake

jtac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
Natchitoches, La
Hey guys, my first Ar build a few years back was a huge success and disaster. I got myself into the AR world but made some regrettable mistakes to say the least. I've got almost all of them fixed except for one. I have a 16" flattop which was originally a A2 upper that my friend put a flattop on. When he did like an "idiot" yea I know I'm a idiot for doing it please don't bash me anymore than needed...lol I took a hacksaw to my front sight on top my gas block, cut it off smooth level with my gas block. Now I have flip up sights and a ugly gas block. What's the easiest and cheapest way to replace this? Any suggestions for which gas block to go to and what, I mean Sight vs. pictanny rail gas block? I already have a flip up front sight which I can use or just do away with and use a standard sight. Thanks for the input.

Re: Big Mistake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you are from ar15.com.....aren't you ? </div></div>

LOL!

All joking aside, if you can use this picatinny block(.75 ID) :

1030030.jpg

You are more than welcomed to it.... PM me your shipping info.

Respectfully,
Julian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308 Newb</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you are from ar15.com.....aren't you ? </div></div>

LOL!

All joking aside, if you can use this picatinny block(.75 ID) :

1030030.jpg

You are more than welcomed to it.... PM me your shipping info.

Respectfully,
Julian

</div></div>

but.....................one would have to know which way to drive out the pins holding the block....stay tuned !!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you are from ar15.com.....aren't you ? </div></div>

I would agree, but I'll try to help.

If I'm reading this correctly, you cut the front sight off flush leaving it as low profile gas block. Then bought a flip up front sight. Which to me suggests your running quad rails.

You have two options, buy a low profile gas block and replace the ugly mess you've caused. (Yankee hill makes one for $25)Remove the tapperd pins, and gas roll tube pin, slid it off the barrel. The pins only come out one way, and back in one way.

Paint your existing gas block, buy longer quad rails hiding it underneath the quad rails. This hides the gas block under the hand gaurds were no one can see it, or laugh at you.

Hahahaha!

The Same plane Gas block is the best option, will let you move your front sight out on top of it. If you get one of the older GB's they sit a tad lower which wont work well if your sight is mounted on the rails now.

I think the trimmed FSB is a great mod. Very durable and fits under (at least some) handguards. A friend of mine has a 20" BCM and likes it that way. I'd leave it alone and put your Troy on the rail. I don't like the idea of railed gas blocks. I have a YHM folding FS/GB which I do like. If you grind your GB smooth and blacken it, who cares if it's ugly under close scrutiny? If you do swap it, I highly recommend having the new GB pinned.

Yea I'm not from ar15.com just made a dumb mistake. I'm running quad rails but want that ugly gas block off the front so I'm fixing to order a new one and swap it.

If you cant get online and research on your own for a low profile gas block then that's really sad. Buy a low profile gas block and swap them out. You're post is not very clear in what your wanting to do overall with the rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carbinero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the trimmed FSB is a great mod. Very durable and fits under (at least some) handguards. A friend of mine has a 20" BCM and likes it that way. I'd leave it alone and put your Troy on the rail. I don't like the idea of railed gas blocks. I have a YHM folding FS/GB which I do like. If you grind your GB smooth and blacken it, who cares if it's ugly under close scrutiny? If you do swap it, I highly recommend having the new GB pinned. </div></div>

This. A trimmed FSB is a great mod. Besides, depending on the make of your upper, the barrel under the gas block probably isnt parkerized. Hell, Yankee hill makes a gas block that looks like a chopped FSB. Leave it alone and spend your money on things that matter.

I have researched and caught up between a block with the sight on it that comes standard to compliment a A2 upper or a railed block to put my iron's on now. My iron now is very low on my quad rail and wonder how the standard front with a flip up back is? Is that clearer?

I don't think what you did was so bad. You can make the gas block look unnoticeable of you file it down nice and paint it. If this sounds like too much work, just get a low profile gas block. There are so many to choose from: Troy, Daniel Defense, Knight, etc. I would stay with the front flip sights on the rail, not the gas block.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would stay with the front flip sights on the rail, not the gas block. </div></div>

Why would you do that? It's much better on the GB.

Just remove it and put on a low profile gas block, then put a flip up front sight on the rail that matches the rear.This way there's no issues about "what will line up" or "now my rifle shoots 6' too high,did I bend the barrel"....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have researched and caught up between a block with the sight on it that comes standard to compliment a A2 upper or a railed block to put my iron's on now. My iron now is very low on my quad rail and wonder how the standard front with a flip up back is? Is that clearer? </div></div>

if your irons on your quad rail are lower then you rear iron sight then you installed the rails incorrect. They should line up.

Railed GBs are often too low for normal BUIS like Troy. your options, in order of how I'd do it, are:

1. leave it alone
2. lo-pro
3. high railed GB.

I would not get a low railed GB.

Decided to go for a high rail gas block, or buy another standard gas rail with the standard sight on it. Either way I see it as my best option. I can always use the flip up iron on another platform.

Is the quad rail a free float setup? If not I would run a flip up gas block. If it is a FF then I would run the front sight on the rail and either leave the original chopped FSB, or run a low pro gas block. The advantage to the hacked gas block now is that it is pinned to the barrel. Anything you most likely will use in place of that is a clamp on style and not as durable of a setup if it is exposed. IMO I would run a FF rail out past the gas block and run the sight on that. If you dont want to do that tap out the old hacked block and run a new one. Some FSB have tapered pins and some do not. The tapered ones need to be driven out left to right.

No it's not free float setup just standard gas block you would see on a M16 type rifle with a iron sight bayonet lug and sling strap on the block.

Leave the rifle as is. Clean up the hacksaw job on the gas block, paint it, and just put a front flip sight on the rail. You can always get another gas block in the future if it really bothers you.