• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Big Red and the Russian

Jered Joplin

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I haven't had much time to hunt lately or even poke my head out of the shop much in the past year since my daughter was born but I managed to squeak in a hunt with Josh from Atlantic Marksmen. Josh called and invited me to meet him in TN for a little Bacon round up and that's exactly what we did. He'll have to post the picks of his because I don't have them.

The first hog was taken with my trusty little 284 with a 150 ttsx. I've always wanted to shoot a Russian boar and all I can say is it won't be the last. They said he should go 350-375.
The Barnes did it's thing as usual. I shot him on the move and he really din't go further than 20 yards. Can't complain with that.

Hog #2 was kind of an after thought. Josh shot two good hogs that morning and we got tired of talking shop so we headed back out to the woods for some more trigger time. I knew they had some big domestic/ferrel hogs but I had no idea we would bump one like this. I asked Mitch how big some of the big ones were. His response was 600-700 lbs and possibly 800. When I first saw this hog's ass in the woods it looked like a big root ball from a tree until I looked through my binos and saw what appeared to be a gigantic set of balls on the root ball. This thing looked like a freak'n cow in the woods with it's red color etc. Might as well have been I suppose. We watched him move down into a mud hole and start doing his thing. When we stood up from hearing Josh behind me freak'n out tell'n me to shoot the trusty ole 44 started bark'n. I swear his reaction was like I was hitting him with a pellet rifle but eventually the Corbon DPX crashed him like a sack of potatoes at 15 feet.
He was over 7 ft long and they said he should be over 900 lbs but truly there was no way to weigh him.

Josh……….Thanks for the hunt can't wait to do it again in Dec.

They had the processors come pick it up in a truck so I never saw it. They were supposed to save all the bullets they found. I was really interested to see how far they penetrated. No doubt they didn't all make it much past his shield and certainly no pass throughs. I'll let you know what they found for me.

Holy Shiite Jered!! What PIGS!! I love the Russian but that red is awesome. Well done on using the 44. As mentioned, it'd be cool to see/hear what the bullets look like. Gotta love pig hunting!!
LX

If anyone wants some details on the hunt just shoot me a PM.

So far they haven't found a single bullet. They were mostly in the vitals and ended up in the guts and left in the woods or the taxidermist may find one or two in the armor plate but as of right
now they haven't found anything. One went through his face but that's the only exit that I know of. He actually charged me after the second shot and 3 of the 6 shots happened inside of 15 feet.
The last shot was 3 paces when he turned to my left. Evidently that wheel gun barking in his face changed his attitude at the last moment give me a broad side neck shot. Needless to say I backed up
to reload. I may or may not have left my underwear in the woods. What happens in the woods stays in the woods as they say.

Nice pigs, these pics makes me want to go pig hunt. They are much larger than the wild ones I use to hunt in Glynn county. Good memories of shooting one of those 75-100 pounders, my ole Lang, brothers in arms and beer, miss those times.

He actually charged me after the second shot and 3 of the 6 shots happened inside of 15 feet.
The last shot was 3 paces when he turned to my left. Evidently that wheel gun barking in his face changed his attitude at the last moment give me a broad side neck shot. Needless to say I backed up
to reload. I may or may not have left my underwear in the woods. What happens in the woods stays in the woods as they say.

I was telling the boys about getting up in amongst them when they are snoozing mid afternoon, then opening up on them. They're running everywhich way, some are charging you and you are shooting like hell not sure if you should run like a girl or just stand there shitting yer britches and hope for the best!

I laughed out loud when I read this, thanks for sharing the truth and the great pix!

Cheers,
Breeze

So far they haven't found a single bullet. They were mostly in the vitals and ended up in the guts and left in the woods or the taxidermist may find one or two in the armor plate but as of right
now they haven't found anything. One went through his face but that's the only exit that I know of. He actually charged me after the second shot and 3 of the 6 shots happened inside of 15 feet.
to reload. I may or may not have left my underwear in the woods. What happens in the woods stays in the woods as they

I would have had an arse like a clowns mouth during that

Jered,
Are you keeping the skulls? Those would look awesome on the mantle or a wall plaque.

Congrats, nice boar! I shot my first Russian with a rawhide backed yew selfbow and cedar shaft.............................was a blast!!