• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Big thanks to Frank (lowlight)

EricF517

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2009
Howell, Michigan
Well about a month and a half ago I took the sheriff out for some range time with our department 308 (700 LTR, no one can get proper cheek weld to, rings that are too high, SFP Swift optic, Cabela's special bipod, and the old deputy that has the trigger all jacked up). He had never shot it past 100y and had it in his head that the average shot that would be taken would be 100 and in. Well after taking him out to the secretary's pasture ground, and shooting at 100, 300, and 600 on a silhouette target he quickly realized out here in Western Nebraska that the possibility for a 600-800y shot if a 50/50 chance. We have lots of wide open ground where, other than in total darkness, sneaking into a position that would be 100y or less would be close to impossible given the lay of the land in most areas. So I began explaining the differences in real precision rifle shooting compared to minute of deer which he is familiar with. So I reached out to Frank, who is a few hours away.

After talking to Frank for a while we set up a date for him to bring out some rifles for the boss to handle and try out. He also brought a SLEW of optics for us to look through which was fantastic as know I am trying to work on the wife for a AIAX and an optic. I have also been working on the boss to get rid of the Pentax red dots that fail more than they work and go to 1-4's. Again we have lots of areas that even our patrol rifles could get a work out at distances. Frank was gracious enough to bring a SS 1-4, and a Razor 1-6 which was paired with a KA SR-25 (that was bad ass and felt like an AR15 when shooting TAP 168's). The knowledge that Frank shared as far as rifles, optics, and even the ammo that was bought by the department before I got here was more than helpful. I think the big selling feature was that he brought the Tac OPs with the can. So needless to say I have had some questions about cans thrown at me today. After the few hours that Frank took out of his busy life to do his show and tell resinated deep with the boss and other guys there. I can truly say Frank is a very genuine guy, and more than willing to share his knowledge. Needless to say the boss is thinking about going the SBR suppressed route for the patrol rifles in the car after hearing what one actually sounded like and how it would not only save our hearing if we ever needed to employ the rifle, but those involved that we weren't shooting.

Frank, when I talked to Adam earlier, and Joel, it seems like the idea is going to be a rifle on each end of the county (me with one and Joel with the other), and sending us to come visit you and get some real training on them once they are put together. And if you ever need a spotter, or someone to shoot with don't ever hesitate to ask man. I cannot thank you enough for the impression you left on the boss, and how much you opened his eyes to what we need to transition to.

Erich

Last edited:
That was a great opportunity, having that resource available, hopefully the advice will be followed. Sometimes it takes an outside source to get the point across, one would be surprised to see sometimes the level of ignorance at the top. Not to mean they are bad people, just that they don't know what's out there and have been "inbred" by the wrong folks for too long. Good for you Erich for the effort into getting things changed, keep the wheels moving on it and especially over the long term.

It's amazing how slow PD's can be to catch up with the changing times... Glad to hear your boss is open to spending a bit for better equipment. It may very well save a life. I wish all brass were that receptive.

Hey Erich! Good to see you keeping busy out in the grasslands. I knew it would not take long for you shake things up. :cool:

Might come out that way this summer for some pdogs. We'll have to hook up. When your department gets its kit squared away let me know and I'll cerakote some stuff for them for just the shipping cost. Keep in touch bro!