• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Big thanks to Randy at S&B Service.

VegasHKShooter

Always Learning
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2013
Las Vegas, Nv
Seems many times we read about bad scopes, and less than satisfactory experiences with customer service. I want to take a moment and thank someone. Randy at Schmidt & Bender saved my sanity today. So, I thought a public thank you was in order.

Here's my story: I recently took possession of my second Schmidt & Bender PMII scope. This one is the 3-20X50 CC/ MTC. I bought it to put on my gas gun, a GAP-10. I read the instructions several times about how to zero the turrets. It states to get the scope zeroed, lock the turret, loosen two of the three Allen heads, unlock the turret, set the turret to zero, and it will be gtg. It also states not to mess with the third hole. It has a small rubber plug in it to prevent it from being accessed. Everything I read, and even watched a video done by Euro Optics says to leave that hole alone. So, that is what I did. No less than 10 times!! Every time, the result was the same. I'd get the scope zeroed, had to go about 7.5 mils up to get it perfect, I locked the turret, loosened the allens, unlocked it, reset to zero, tightened everything up, unlocked it and would shoot a group. EVERY TIME, I'd be 7.5 mils low. I got so frustrated, I had my buddy look at it. He came up with the exact result. At that point, after about 10 tries, I was about ready to box the scope up, and send it back. I have not heard of many problems with S&B's, but anything made by man can have an issue. Before I gave up completely, I decided to call S&B and give them a shot.

My lucky day, I got the right person on the phone. I explained everything to Randy, he agreed that it sounded right. He advised me that the third hole was just an Allen that was on there to keep folks from pulling their turret cap off. It was only supposed to be finger tight. He said it sounded like mine was accidentally over tightened and was preventing the turret from actually being free. He told me to check it. I did and VOILA, it was quite tight. Much too tight. I loosened it, and reset it to just barely finger tight. I then performed the whole zeroing process again.....it worked!!! Success!!

I called Randy back and told him thank you, he had saved my sanity. It's uber frustrating to have a 3k scope that you can't get right.

So, IF you experience this issue with your MTC turrets, don't be afraid to loosen that third allen, chances are, it's too tight.

I found it refreshing that 1) I got a human on the phone instantly, and 2) he knew what to do, and got me squared away in 5 minutes.

Thank you Randy, and I'm back in love with my S&B.

Ya, third screw should be finger tight then backed out half a turn.

Ask me how I know!

Still my favorite scope and I’ve owned most brands and flavors.

Ya, third screw should be finger tight then backed out half a turn.

Ask me how I know!

Still my favorite scope and I’ve owned most brands and flavors.

Hahaha! Yeah.....I know now. I really love this scope too. Not sure.....but I MIGHT like it better than my 5-25. It'll take more time to know. We got hits at 300,400,500,550, and 1250 today. My buddy on his Larue .260, and me on my GAP in 6.5CM.

Hahaha! Yeah.....I know now. I really love this scope too. Not sure.....but I MIGHT like it better than my 5-25. It'll take more time to know. We got hits at 300,400,500,550, and 1250 today. My buddy on his Larue .260, and me on my GAP in 6.5CM.

I sold my 5-25 PMII W/MSR and kept my 3-20. Mine has the MTC turret feature removed, that’s what makes it my favorite scope.

I was wondering about zeroing. I am literally waiting on the UPS truck now for my 1st S&B. Went with the ultra short 5 x 20. Learned most of the S&B codes thanks to a fellow member. But did not see any ZS. Thanks for the heads up.

The 3rd hole on the turret is not an allen, it's a flat head is that correct. My gut is telling me to try backing it off. My wallet is telling me don't mess with it for fear of creating an issue?