• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bigger Jump in Performance

Best upgrade?

• AI AT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AI AT-X

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Upgraded AR like Noveske

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Imw787

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2022
PR
I’ve been shooting for a couple of years and started both bolt action and carbine with entry to mid tier rifles. At the time I wasn’t sure how much time or appreciation for the sport I would have but at this point it’s clear I’m in it for the long hall.

Most of my bolt action is done shooting from prone with my primary range maxing at 200 yds but most of the time I’m running dot drills at 100. Currently it’s don’t with a tikka t3x a1 in 6.5cm. Every other month I can get on a range that goes out to 1200 yds but we mainly stay around 600. I’d love to do some positional stuff but we don’t have any in Puerto Rico so that’s limited to travel.

On the ar side I have a windham weaponry m4 with some limited furniture upgrades. Again, mainly limiter to range time but we do have some tactical pits that I’m starting to get more into.

I’d like to get a new rifle and have been torn between upgrading the AR or the bolt. The AR would likely be a Noveske and the bolt would be an AI AT or AT-X. I’m open to other ARs but pretty set on the AI, mainly for the flexibility provided by the barrel swaps.

Which upgrade do you believe would produce a more noticeable upgrade to the shooting experience? At this point I only have the ability to upgrade one.

Which rifle do you feel is the weakest link right now? That would be the one I would upgrade.
Part of what I’m unsure of is what I’m getting when I take the step up. I’d say I’m a solid 3/4 MOA on the Tikka most days but do see variance from session to session. My guess is a lot of that is me but if I stepped up to an AI would the extra quality narrow the deviation I see between a good and kind of off day?

On the AR side also no complaints. Probably 2000-2200 rds, never jammed on me. Feels a bit overgassed maybe and would not go the m4 route but again I think the gun outshoots my ability.

So maybe the question is more what should the expectations be when upgrading to a top tier factory or where will the difference really be seen or felt?

I'd say if the Tikka is performing and you are the weakest link than look at what you can do to be more consistent. With regard to a possible over gassed AR than an adjustable gas block could resolve that issue.

Reactions: Modoc and Jscb1b
Tikka Tac barrels are every bit as accurate as a typical AI barrel, just tend to be slower. Keep in mind it may be ammo/reloading /shooting skill that is holding you back, not the gun. I never want to discourage someone from buying a new gun, but have realistic expectations so you don't get disappointed Depending on your optic, it may make more sense to upgrade that first as well.

Reactions: ELCO82
Thanks for the reply. I do believe I have reasonable expectations and don’t think upgrading a gun is some kind of magic bullet but that said I’ve got an itch and if I’m gonna scratch it I’d just like to understand where I’d notice it the most.

For example on higher end optics I know I’m typically getting better tactile feedback, better contrast/resolution/optical image quality, the ability to handle mirage better etc. however I’m not quite as sure what you get from higher end rifles. Like you said the tikka is about as accurate but slower, so is a big differentiator going to be speed, BC etc?

Regarding optics, I have a Zeiss S3 which to date I’m happy with. I have a friend who runs a lot of highend stuff (TT, Zco, Sb, Hensoldt) and while I can recognize the difference I find myself wanting more from my guns than my glass.