• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Biggest 1911 fish story I've ever heard...

Ianski

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2010
Parker, CO
So over memorial day weekend i was out camping with some co workers from the gun store i work at and they brought some friends of there own... One of these friends decided to tell us about a custom 1911 smith that is making a 1911 that will shoot any .45 acp ammo you feed it. if the story had ended here it would have been believable... but it didn't.. He then proceeded to tell us how this 1911 would shoot 5 for 5 on a 10" plate at.... drum roll please.....600 yds. My immediate response was "did you see this with your own eyes?" because i wanted to determine whether or not he was lying straight to my face or just stupid... dissappointingly he responded "I saw it"

When i explained to him that he would have to be a Naval gunner who was skilled in the art of morter or artillery fire, he told me that the guy shot it straight on and there wasn't hardly a second between the shot and the ding of the impact...

in conclusion i told him he should have turned around and looked for the guy with the suppressed .308 hiding behind the guy with the 1911 hahahaha!

all in all, the story gave me and the guys quite a laugh so i figured i'd share it!

Re: Biggest 1911 fish story I've ever heard...

Must be that 308 1911 conversion...

Bad!

I can almost promise you 200 yards is about max. I've shot a huge gong rougly 4x4 ft. maybe bigger at 200 and trust me, that is pushing it

There is a guy making a 1911 he calls the "NCO" Carl Lippard I believe. It has sights that are designed to shoot some pretty wild ranges.

The Marines were or are considering his 1911 so it may work better than would seem logically possible. Who knows?

I thought about sending a 1911 for his link and decided against it. I'd just like to see some independent reviews of the system first.

The system is similar to Pachmayrs wide link, which is also used by a South African gunsmith who works in the US now I believe who is pretty well known- I can't recall who that is at the moment.

well shit... i guess its time for a piece of humble pie...

Those guys are full of it.

Half the Karl Lippard Designs are "KLD classified". WTF, what company invents their own classifications named after themselves?

Sounds like half those fancy designs don't exist at all. Especially with all those claimed patents on everything; the trigger is patented, the hammer is patented, the sear is patented, the scope is patented; BULLSHIT.

If they're real, they need to go get some mainstream publication, not a couple of nobodys giving "testimonials".

And pretending that you have a bunch of futuristic high tech weapon systems in development is pretty pathetic:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other Military Weapons in Development
- The WS: Weapon Surface, Ship Surface, and Ship Subsurface Weapon Systems. Ship/ Shore Defensive Strike, Safe Zone Protection, Battlefield Isolation. Manned or Autonomous. Mobile.
- The SWS: Spider Weapon System. Tactical, Safe Zone, Defense, Offense. Battlefield Isolation, Manned or Autonomous. Mobile.
- The ATCW: Anti Tank Battalion Weapon. Offensive Incapacitation.
- Clara: Civilian Weapon System. Defense, Anti-Pirate and Personnel.
- Mariposa: Anti Personnel Device. Tactical, Defense. Mobile.
- AMGW: Anti ICBM System. Defensive Strike.
- AAGW: Anti Aircraft System. Defensive Strike.

Karl Lippard Designs has more weapon system diversity than any firearm manufacturer in the United States. </div></div>

There is no way those con artists have a bunch of automated and computerized large scale weapon systems in dev.

Wow!

. . . for $165, I can turn one of my 1911s into a 600 yd gun!

Seriously, I'm happy with what I have.

Kevin

Lol I did the same thing to my 44mags sight except I used paint. I guy on nodakoutdoors took his sight in and had gold inlayed for his long range mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ianski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well shit... i guess its time for a piece of humble pie... </div></div>

I would say I'd have to agree with the guy on the crazy statements and oddities surrounding Lippard. There is probably some good performance there too, but he should really get a couple of these guns to someone who can write about them besides himself.

I'm sure making the 1911 out of tool steel will help with regard to service life as well so that's sound. There is a lot of reasonable, combined with some STRONG marketing speak that really needs to be backed up by some independent reviews.

Guys,
Karl is a piece of work. I have done business with him years ago. His word on a deal is good, or always was with me. He is also a real deal USMC Combat Vietnam Vet. Martial arts trained, USMC DI, and a hell of a tough guy. Unfortunately, a bit off the deep end.

The claim of Les Baer 1911s going through the upgrade is what has me scratching my head. I don't own one, but based on the reviews I've read, I can't imagine a person shooting one and thinking, "Well shit. This just isn't good enough."

$3500 for a 400yard 1911...AHAHAH!

At last, all the poor bastards who believed the ARMSCOR hype will have met the savior who will deliver them into the Promised Land ...

... NOT.

3515pqt.jpg

Sooo another thing... why do i want a 600 yd bruise maker? 230grains of pure bruise making anger....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At last, all the poor bastards who believed the ARMSCOR hype will have met the savior who will deliver them into the Promised Land ...

... NOT.
</div></div>

WTF are you talking about? As someone who carrys a Colt OM and shoots competitively, I have several ARMSCOR 1911s, and they are excellent quality, nothing comes close at their price point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSwift</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At last, all the poor bastards who believed the ARMSCOR hype will have met the savior who will deliver them into the Promised Land ...

... NOT.
</div></div>

WTF are you talking about? As someone who carrys a Colt OM and shoots competitively, I have several ARMSCOR 1911s, and they are excellent quality, nothing comes close at their price point. </div></div>

Seriously, I swear that I wasn't trolling for this guy. I <span style="font-style: italic">swear</span> I wasn't.

Has anyone even taken into consideration the amount of muzzle elevation you would have to have in order to get out to a range of only 200 yds. shooting .45 ACP 230 gr. Round Ball?
eek.gif

I don't care how long the freakin' barrel is ... the cartridge isn't designed for that distance. A 45-70 Government 250gr. Lead Bullet will barely break the 500 yd mark with any notable accuracy at all! That cartridge is 5 times the length of the .45 ACP! When I say 'notable accuracy' ... I mean hitting paper on a 36" x 24" paper target!

Also, I don't care what some people claim about pistols they make ... sorry. I've <span style="text-decoration: underline">shot</span> a 16" - 45 ACP AR Platform that would only go out to 500 yds. using .45 ACP +P+ Ammo. I had to hold the barrel like I was firing a freakin' M203!!!! Even at that ... I didn't hit anywhere within 10 FEET of the target, and that was within 5 shots!!! The first 4 went waayyy low.

I call BULLSHIT!!!

600 yards, assumed BC of .1 and Muzzle velocity of 850 fps...about 1500 inches of drop and arrives at about 400 fps and 79 ft pounds of force. Make a bump on your head.

If Ant armies needed artillery i would see a good use for this platform, but as a "600 yard suppressing fire" provider, I'd rather not piss of the guy with a 7.62x54r with my long distance marble-thrower
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">600 yards, assumed BC of .1 and Muzzle velocity of 850 fps...about 1500 inches of drop and arrives at about 400 fps and 79 ft pounds of force. Make a bump on your head. </div></div>

If this was the case ... it wouldn't hit you ANYWHERE!
smile.gif

1500 inches is 125 Ft. of drop. Unless you're firing off the side of a freakin' cliff .... it's going to peter out and eat dirt before it hits it's mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">600 yards, assumed BC of .1 and Muzzle velocity of 850 fps...about 1500 inches of drop and arrives at about 400 fps and 79 ft pounds of force. Make a bump on your head.</div></div>

400 fps is still about 270 mph. There is a strong potential for broken bones or even death if it hits the right spot... but you combine the accuracy with the damage and it is a very low mortality rate. Maybe an UZI could do some damage at 600 yards, but not a 1911.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone even taken into consideration the amount of muzzle elevation you would have to have in order to get out to a range of only 200 yds. shooting .45 ACP 230 gr. Round Ball? </div></div>

I used to shoot at a armor plate we had at the 200 meter line. About half the slide in the rear sight was good for five out of ten hits.

A number of years ago when I was in amunition development and manufacturing, some of the guys I worked with, knowing I also worked on 1911's told me one of our customers, a former super secret squirl black ops guy could hit a TV (no not a big screen) with a 1911 45 ACP at 1,000 yards.

I replied, "ya, ok" Shortly after that, the secret squirl showed up and wanted to impress me with his ability with a 1911 45 ACP and offered to demonstate said ability to hit a TV at 1,000 yards. He then asked me if I belived him. My reply was "what's the point" If I ever have the situation where a TV is threatening my life from 1,000 yards out, I'll give him a call and he should have plenty of time to get there and bail me out...

He has neve talked to me since then, but no big loss on that one.

So, the moral of my story is, that taking Lipard at his word, which I have no reason to doubt, I dont get the point here. A pistol and the 45 ACP are not a 400 or 600 yard weapon/cartrige and the 45 ACP, in any loading, is more like mortar fire at those ranges and likely to just let the enemy know where your at and that you only have a pistol...

Since I build 1911's for a living, I can tell you there is no trick, secret sauce, magic spells, gizmos or gadgets needed.

Just about all of the very best 1911's from the best builders can shoot very accurately, with 1" to 1.5" at 25 and 2" -2.5" groups at 50 yards all day long. So, the question is, how do you make a 1911 that shoots a nearly .5" bullets more accurate than that? Answer, you really cant.

So, then in theroy you could lob the same .45 caliber bullets from those pistols out to 400 and 600 yards too, with likely the same results. No special gizmos, gadgets, secret sauces or magic spells required. Just a well built 1911 with the right barrel and bushing properly fitted will get all the mechanical accuracy possible from the design and cartridge.

But, if you have your heart set on shooting your 1911 or any 45 acp at 400+ yards, may the force be with you.

For me a good 1911 for 50 yards and in is all I need or want.

9mm I MIGHT believe, on the other hand. .45 is very tough at 200, the wind call alone at 600 would be enough to make me say forget it, nevermind the drop and loss of velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A number of years ago when I was in amunition development and manufacturing, some of the guys I worked with, knowing I also worked on 1911's told me one of our customers, a former super secret squirl black ops guy could hit a TV (no not a big screen) with a 1911 45 ACP at 1,000 yards.

I replied, "ya, ok" Shortly after that, the secret squirl showed up and wanted to impress me with his ability with a 1911 45 ACP and offered to demonstate said ability to hit a TV at 1,000 yards. He then asked me if I belived him. My reply was "what's the point" If I ever have the situation where a TV is threatening my life from 1,000 yards out, I'll give him a call and he should have plenty of time to get there and bail me out...

He has neve talked to me since then, but no big loss on that one.

So, the moral of my story is, that taking Lipard at his word, which I have no reason to doubt, I dont get the point here. A pistol and the 45 ACP are not a 400 or 600 yard weapon/cartrige and the 45 ACP, in any loading, is more like mortar fire at those ranges and likely to just let the enemy know where your at and that you only have a pistol...

Since I build 1911's for a living, I can tell you there is no trick, secret sauce, magic spells, gizmos or gadgets needed.

Just about all of the very best 1911's from the best builders can shoot very accurately, with 1" to 1.5" at 25 and 2" -2.5" groups at 50 yards all day long. So, the question is, how do you make a 1911 that shoots a nearly .5" bullets more accurate than that? Answer, you really cant.

So, then in theroy you could lob the same .45 caliber bullets from those pistols out to 400 and 600 yards too, with likely the same results. No special gizmos, gadgets, secret sauces or magic spells required. Just a well built 1911 with the right barrel and bushing properly fitted will get all the mechanical accuracy possible from the design and cartridge.

But, if you have your heart set on shooting your 1911 or any 45 acp at 400+ yards, may the force be with you.

For me a good 1911 for 50 yards and in is all I need or want.

</div></div>

I know what you mean. I know a couple of US Marshals that are pretty arrogant about their 1911 and Glock 21 skills.
smile.gif

I think we need to introduce Karl Lippard to the Counter Sniper guys. I bet with one of the Counter Sniper scopes mounted on a Lippard pistol you could compete with the 338 Lapua. lol

I was thinking some sort of offset canted sight system like a M203 sight on the side of one of the grips hehe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ianski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking some sort of offset canted sight system like a M203 sight on the side of one of the grips hehe. </div></div>

Might want to patent that idea before Karl Lippard get ahold of it
grin.gif

you use a 45 and I will use my 300wm at 1000 yds,and see who gets hit first...

If he Teamed up with the RED JACKET retards there is probally nothing they could not accomplish. first the ak sniper rifle and now this.....

I can't imagine the holdover to make it to 600. I was at a range shooting steel silhouettes at 275, 350 and 500. After shooting all my rifle ammo there were two chicken targets at 275 left standing. I decided to try with my Colt Commander. I hit both of them after about 30-40 rounds aiming about 8-9 feet over the top of the targets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoosterShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't care how long the freakin' barrel is ... the cartridge isn't designed for that distance. A 45-70 Government 250gr. Lead Bullet will barely break the 500 yd mark with any notable accuracy at all! That cartridge is 5 times the length of the .45 ACP! When I say 'notable accuracy' ... I mean hitting paper on a 36" x 24" paper target!

I call BULLSHIT!!!</div></div>

Neither the Sierra nor the Hornady book list a bullet of less than 300gr for the 45-70. Maybe you flipped a page and got the 45LC info instead?

Do yo mean t tell me nobody was making vitals shots on buffalo with their Sharps, Springfield and Remingtons? With black powder and cast lead bullets?

I know for a fact that a H&R handy rifle can get well over 2000 Fps using 350gr BTSP bullets and 1/2MOA accuracy.

I also know a Christian Sharps in 45-120 (modern build, not an antique) can get over 3000 FPS with this same bullet and again 1/2 MOA accuracy. Are you telling me that won't go 1000 yards accurately?

As far as the venerable 1911 goes, there are people who can consistently hit an 8" plate @ 200yd.

But 600yd? maybe 600' unless he used an extremely tall ladder sight or retro-fit one off of a grenade launcher....

You might want to check out the original test documents from the U.S. Army testing the 1911. I believe they shoot it all the way to 800 or so for a penetration test. Not effective but they did the test. Sorry no link as it is in a 1911 book I own but some one with Google FU should be able to turn it up.

And for laughs check out .30carbine testing they took it out to some long ranges with surprising result.

I'm sorry, but if he can do that type of shooting "all day long" according to some of those witnesses.....why isn't there ONE video of him doing it on his own webpage....?

Bullshit....

I had the chance to shoot at steel chickens at 100 yards with my wilson 45 acp. I had to hold over, guess, looking at a dirt background, how do you repeat under those conditions? after I closed in I could hit with some success, however you have to hit towards the top and center to knock them over. A hit to the side would only turn them sideways. Think I will use the right tool for the right job. Pistol to 50 yards at most and AI. AW. .308 for long distance calls.

45-70 black powder will throw a 500g bullet close to 1250 fps. Slow? yes. Drops like a rock? yes. 1 MOA at 1000 yards? yes (not by me, however).

The early military penetration tests at long range were to demonstrate penetration during ranging fire. The bullets are falling down at a pretty steep angle. It's not like 1 guy engaged one target with 1 bullet at 800 yards. It was spray a ton of lead and go look to see if you hit your huge target, then evaluate.

Frankly I don't believe this was done at 800 yards with the 45. Why the heck would you spray your enemy at 800 yards with a 45? Use a rifle. If you don't have a rifle, best keep quiet.

That website has just the slightest shade of delicious troll-based irony in it...I'm wondering if someone isn't having one hell of a laugh at the expense of 1911forum.com and the usual haunts.

This reminds me of another huge fish-like story, but I was there to witness it. Last year at a Frontsight rifle class (ridicule aside, it was pretty decent) an instructor hit a 400 yard IDPA-sized steel target with his 9 mm HK while standing. This was after the 3-4 shot. Needless to say, that was amazing!

5 out of 5 on a 10 inch target at 600 yards with a 1911 pistol???!!!! Yeah right, not a chance.

At least thats my thoughts!

The dude was 600 yards directly above the target and just shot down.

Zaggin, did he have a spotter?
I can hit a life-sized steel deer at 345y with my 44 mag. Problem is, I can't hear it hit, have to have a buddy with a scope or binos spot me.
I can't believe you'd hear a 9mm bump into steel at 400y.

B.S. This guy is one of those compulsive liars. Next he will say hes a NAVY SEAL.

How did you not laugh in his face?!?! So would have asked him for the builders name and phone number cause that is one heck of a 1911.