• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn 7saum Thunderbeast 30p-1!! (Video Update)

Skyking

Skyking
Minuteman
It been a long time coming. I finally got my stamp for the suppressor. ThunderBeast 30p-1. It went pending September 7, stamp got approved Feb 15, This is my first can that I have owned. All I can say is I am in LOVE. I don't think that I can ever go back to shooting without a can. Shooting with no ears is awesome. With ears I can hear hammer going off. The Thunderbeast even made the groups get better.

Also had to wait two months for some custom Neil Jones dies. I end up going with a 35* shoulder just like the 7wsm. I figured the wsm shoots so good I would try and duplicate it in the 7saum. I was also hoping to gain a little extra speed with it as well. I am running it in a Bighorn tactical short action. This is the third Bighorn action we have used. They are really a sweet action. With the short action, you can't seat the Berger 180vld way out there to get the most out of it. Figured I would try the 168 vld's and push them to beat the 180's. Got the final load development done the other night. 168's going 3150fps. That beats my wsm with the 180vld's going 2970fps.

Saturday took it out to 1005 yards to confirm dope, and final numbers. 19.25 MOA for 1005 yards. This thing is a shooter. The melonited barrel is working good so far.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o3jS7J4dbiQ&feature=plcp"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o3jS7J4dbiQ&feature=plcp" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Nosler Brass
CCI-BR2 Primers
65.5 Retumbo
Berger 168 VLD's
COAL 2.937
3160Fps

Specs:
-BigHorn Tactical short action
-Bighorn Bolt knob
-Bighorn 20 MOA base
-Schneider 28 inch, fluted, David Tubb contour.
-MMI-Trutec Melonited black barrel
-Cerakoted black.
-AICS stock bedded with Devcon
-Jewell Trigger
-Nightforce 5.5x22x50 Highspeed, zero stop, NP2-DD
-Nightforce low rings
-Mounting Solutions level
-Harris notched 6x9 swivel bipod
-Tactical Works stock pad.
-Thunderbeast 30p-1
-Tab Gear suppressor cover
-Alpha Mag

65g Retumbo 100yards 4 shots
2012-03-23182229.jpg

66g Retumbo 100yards 5 shots
2012-03-23182040.jpg

5 shots H4831sc top, Retumbo bottom, 100 yards
M1610002.jpg

Left 7wsm 180,Middle 7saum 35* shoulder, right 7saum
M1420011.jpg

M1620003.jpg

M1620001.jpg

M1620005.jpg

M1620006.jpg

M1620010.jpg

M1620008.jpg

Re: Bighorn 7saum Thunderbeast 30p-1!!

Always liked that build skyking, great pics as usual. Any video planned for this one?

Great looking rifle and it looks like your can steer it too, one question though, how are you loading to 2.937, is it the Alpha Mag??

Awesome looking build, thats a hammer of a cartridge coming out of a short action.

What did HMI charge you on the melonite? I keep hearing quotes of $80 or so but I called them the other day and they have a $300 minimum.

I'm the same way. Once I got my 30p-1 it's hard to shoot without it. Ive got a Bighorn Action on order for my 6.5x47 build. Great looking setup btw.

Yep the 30P-1 is the stuff. I see minimal POI shift and no accuracy change on my 260 Rem. I'm building a 7mm RSAUM as well. I waiting on a reamer then my Big Horn Short Action and Krieger barrel are off to the smith for assembly.

Awesome setup you have and what a tac driver. When i do a build down the road it is going to be on a Big Horn action. I have heard so many great things about AJ,s action and all who have them seem very impressed with them.

Awesome! Looking forward to some more long range video!

How does that contour compare to say a medium palma? what is the muzzle diameter?

I only see one hole where did the other bullets go?? Just screwin with ya awesome shooting who did the build for ya?

Thanks guys! I am dying to get back out and swing that steel.

Yes there will be a video in this guns near future.

I am not sure how this contour compares to the Palma, but the muzzle measures. .870 and .960 at the end of the scope. It's the Davis Tubb contour.

Can't say enough good things about AJ and the bighorn.

Skyking, that's an awesome rifle and suppressor.

By the way, your posts helped me immensely with my 7wsm build and load development.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skyking, that's an awesome rifle and suppressor.

By the way, your posts helped me immensely with my 7wsm build and load development. </div></div>

That is why I post them. When I first started. All you guys helped me, and I looked at a lot of builds before I started my first.

Did you do all the work on the rifle? With the tactical action, that has a longer 0.300" tenon, did you have any problem fitting it in that stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captain zeke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skyking thought on which cartridge you are favoring now ?</div></div>

I think its 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I am just so in love with the Thunderbeast it makes shooting the wsm hard. I have not ask Moon what thread pitch he did on my gun. For anything inside of 1000 yards. It hard to beat the Berger 168vld doing 3160fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marksman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you do all the work on the rifle? With the tactical action, that has a longer 0.300" tenon, did you have any problem fitting it in that stock?</div></div>

A local gunsmith did the work with me watching over his shoulder. I even turned the the lath handles a few times. You just need to cut a new recoil lug for the longer length.

Did you purchase your barrel already treated, or did you send it off. If you, whom did you use for the melonite treatment that will process a single barrel? I'm seriously considering this for my build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: squin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you purchase your barrel already treated, or did you send it off. If you, whom did you use for the melonite treatment that will process a single barrel? I'm seriously considering this for my build.</div></div>

No you need to have it chambered up and all the finish machine work done. Then put about 30-50 rounds down the barrel. Clean it up really really good, then send it off. Once you get it back. You need to scrub the heck out of it to get all the crud out.

MMI-Trutec Rodney at R+T customs, a in-house guy that is talking care of it all. 870-565-2589. Cost $60 per barrel with $20 return shipping cost. Turn around time is less then a week.

Here is some more info on that. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3216083&page=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What muzzle brake is it you've got there? </div></div>

Just one that the gunsmith made for me. Wanted the Badger Thruster look with a larger front port.

Re: Bighorn 7saum Thunderbeast 30p-1!! (Video Update)

Here is the video all you were wanting with this gun. Enjoy!!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o3jS7J4dbiQ&feature=youtu.be"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o3jS7J4dbiQ&feature=youtu.be" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Cool video and great looking rifle!

Great video. Love to see a gun and shooter in action. Sweet stick.
cool.gif

AJ makes a great action and is a good guy to deal with.
cool.gif

Regards, Paul.

That is about the coolest thing ever! Seeing the bullet track to the target gives me a whole new perspective. Where I live, we don't have ranges like that available ... Very cool!!!

THANKS

Always liked your videos man! That's an absolutely badass rig.

Great video and an even better rifle. Thank you for sharing, I enjoy all your videos you have posted.

Have you done any load development out of the new rig with the 180s?

Also what twist do you have on the barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you done any load development out of the new rig with the 180s?</div></div>

I tried a few loads with the 180's. Hitting pressure, and not gaining anything over my 7wsm with the 180's. So out to 1000 yards the shoots flatter and hits harder.

It is a 1-9 twist

Excellent video skyking, love the watching the vapor trail.

Any large resolution photos? Would make for a great wallpaper.

Well the 7saum got the first kills under its belt. My brother dropped his elk at 515 yards. Gave me the gun and shoot my elk within 10feet of his elk. Had to walk 100 yard up the road. Dad took the gun and dropped his 430 yards. After I shot mine elk. We heard a coyote bark off in the distance. We end up spotting him along a road at 1150 yards away. I spotted and called the distance as my Bro took the shot. He spun him around before we lost him it the pine trees. Found blood but not the dog.

2012-11-15104215-1.jpg

Congrats! Sounds like a great day.