• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Arms connesuer needed

Silverbullet_99

Leadslingin' Lieutenant
Minuteman
May 24, 2017
Western Nebraska
Shooters.... I am toying with picking up an Origin from Big Horn. I need to know if barrel tennon and bolt faces cross from TL-3 to Origin or if I am barking up the wrong tree... As far as i know, both have savage threads, but i dunno if the bolt faces cross. Any advice would be much appreciated. Also wouldnt mind knowing if a TL-2 shouldered barrel with savage threads will properly headspace on a TL-3 or an Origin? Any and all quality advice is greatly appreciated.

Pretty sure they answer all of your questions in that one but someone else will chime in if I'm wrong.
Bolt heads interchangeable between them and headspace should be the same the main differences are the pinned recoil lug.

The origin does not have the same tenon lengths as the TL3. A tl3 barrel will not work on an origin unless you modify (swap) the recoil lug to make up that difference. Cant speak to a tl2.

Last edited:
The new recoil lugs from Hunts Long Range allow the exact same tolerances as a TL3 if I'm not mistaken(ability to use pre-shouldered barrels).

If you go with a Kelblys Atlas tactical there is no guess work and you can order a shouldered barrel without wondering if it will work.
Quick turn around as well and spot on, just saying screw the multi generation we want your money crap and go with our shit works without the headache guranteeed.
I'm on my second one and they are the tits.

Both the TL3 and Origin share the same bolt head, pinned rail, and bolt knobs but use different firing pins.

All three action have different headspace specs for shouldered barrels. A savage prefit with barrel nut will let you use the same barrel across all three actions.

I need to call hunts and inquire about this recoil lug if that's the case I need to order a left handed origin asap lol.

Both the TL3 and Origin share the same bolt head, pinned rail, and bolt knobs but use different firing pins.

All three action have different headspace specs for shouldered barrels. A savage prefit with barrel nut will let you use the same barrel across all three actions.

They don’t use the same rail. Only reason I know was I called about ordering an extra 30moa for the origin and they said it won’t fit.

I called and ordered a right hand origin 2 weeks ago and was quoted 4 weeks, will be showing up at the smiths tomorrow. Think at the time they were only quoting 2 weeks on the lefty's so maybe faster also?

Who all stocks the origin actions besides Hunt's?

I called and ordered a right hand origin 2 weeks ago and was quoted 4 weeks, will be showing up at the smiths tomorrow. Think at the time they were only quoting 2 weeks on the lefty's so maybe faster also?
Worth it to order direct

I was told that the Origin was a three to four week wait. Called up bighorn direct. They had one in my hands with in a week. Awesome guys to work with.

I think its been pretty clearly covered, but the TL3 SA and the Origin have different length tennons. IIRC the TL3 LA & Origin are the same length tennon, and it has to do with the pinned lug on the Origin vs the milled lug on the TL3 Short Action.

Again, if I am not mistaken the TL3 SA is one hundred thou shorter than the TL3 LA & the Origin - best bet is to call Bighorn directly though.

Reactions: Chargerguy
Hunt's Tactical has Lefty Origins in stock just ordered one, also spoke with Ray @ Bighorn and discussed the recoil lug and TL3 compatibility. Hunt's are making a recoil lug that will make the Origin compatible with TL3 shouldered its 150 thousandths thinner I think than the original Origin lug. Spoke with Ryan at Hunts and I think they are close to being able to be purchased on his website, seems like a really good dude and very exciting news for current Origin owners and new and prospective ones like me (honestly the only thing that held me back on buying one was the issue with all of my TL3 shouldered barrels and with that gone.....well I did order one today).

Having a great company like Bighorn that is willing to work with a great company like Hunt's is what makes this a good choice of actions in my opinion.

Very exciting news at least for me :)

That's HUGE improvement. It's good to see those guys listening and making improvements.

I've been really happy with my TL2 and just got a TL3.