• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Arms TL2 Savage thread build

NICETRY

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2013
Oklahoma
Finally able to pick up my Bighorn Arms TL2 SA that was threaded for savage small shank barrel. I plan to set this in a XLR Carbon chassis. Only thing I have not decided on yet is what pre-fit barrel to use. Looking for suggestions on prefit barrels. I plan to start out with a 6.5 Creedmoor chambering and experiment with a second barrel in a different chambering to see if this may be a less expensive alternative to going with a rifle from Desert Tactical or AI. I have one pic of the action and will add more as I collect the parts for this build.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I went with a CIB(Criterion) for my 6.5CM Savage build, haven't shot it yet though.

have been exchanging emails with Mr. Goddard to get the last one he has.. basically, just waiting on price and how he wants payment.

same boat as you, was looking forward to it, but going to do a few cals: .223, 6cr, 308

for higher end prefit, look up sinarms or benchmark

Jim Briggs has Shilen Select Match 6.5CM and 260Rem small shank barrels in stock, just got my 260 barrel this Monday. :)

let me know if you find 6 creed somewhere for prefit

spoke with Mr. Goddard again yesterday, FFL sent, and action should be at dealer next week waiting on me to get back from overseas in August.

ended up getting 3 diff bolt heads.. 223, 308, magnum

let me know if you find 6 creed somewhere for prefit

spoke with Mr. Goddard again yesterday, FFL sent, and action should be at dealer next week waiting on me to get back from overseas in August.

I talked to Jim at NSS and he said he was getting a reamer in and could make me one in a couple of months.

@ NICETRY the WSM and RSAUM rds.

apache gunworks and mcgowen have the 6.5 4s SAUM reamer and can spin you up prefits in that or the regular short mag flavors.

I talked t Shilen about their DGR actions and Shilen was adamant that the bolt heads were NOT interchangeable. Swappable bolt heads easily justifies the price difference between the Shilen and Bighorn.

Damn, and I thought I was being slick taking him up on two of his actions! Glad to see I'm not the only one. I have a cbi 243 AI barrel and nut I got from Jim a few weeks ago waiting on my action to show up. Bolting it into a mini chassis. I plan on having a Bartlein or kreiger threaded for it at some point but the cbi is a hurry up so I can shoot this summer option. Hopefully these prefits are shooters.

I have 2 CBIs, and experience with 2 more. They're great. I know cut rifled barrels are supposed to be "better" than button barrels, but Criterion has that shit figured out!

Rock Creek does savage prefits. Don't know if its an all the time thing, or just occasionally, but [MENTION=510]Cut[/MENTION]-rifled lists them for sale here from time to time.

I talked to Jim at NSS and he said he was getting a reamer in and could make me one in a couple of months.

Just make sure it has the correct freebore, or your brass will be toast in a hurry. I think George said somthing like .19ish. When I spoke to PTG they're standard flavor is much shorter than that.

That's very interesting, I'd love to have a big horn for my hunting build but couldn't wait the time they quoted. Very clever doing it with the savage shank.

That's said it's still a different animal from a DTA or AI though. You still get the ability to order prefit barrels and not wait for a smith to make one or rebarrel but it you're looking for something to easily change barrels on you're still stuck. The DTA and AI designs allow the end user to swap barrels in minutes with a Allen wrench. This makes barrel swaps in the field no issue. If you don't need the ability then I suppose your at no disadvantage though.