• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn or Badger M2013

The salmon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Just want to know Pros and Cons of each, what groups you are getting with them, etc.

Post pics if you have em

Thanks,

Sam

Two totally different actions. The Bighorn will have much smoother and easier bolt lift, and has the advantage of a floating bolt head. Badger will be a much heavier and stouter action, not that the Bighorn is flimsy by any means. It's a 3 lug design, and if you are out to use AW mags should feed from the more reliably. Neither action will have an advantage over the other in terms of what kind of groups they can produce, the barrel and the shooter will determine that.

If the badger bolt lift does not disturb the lay of the rifle, I'd say you'll be very happy with one. I've owned 3 badger M2008's and one has been tuned extremely well. The bolt lift is noticeably smoother, but my other two (which I sold) had a pretty aggressive lift. Overall, I do like the action. I'm currently having Jon Beanland build me a .260 rem on a TL2. I went with bighorn simply for the parts availability. Good luck finding a stock (unless you like chassis systems) for a badger action. Manners quoted me 6-7 months. Instead, I went to third generation shooting supply and picked up almost all my components, had BJ ship them directly to Jon and now I wait. Many on here, including some very well known smiths, say the bighorn is an exceptional action. AJ (the owner of bighorn tactical) is a great guy with outstanding customer service (I'm sure Diane keeps him in check:)).

side note: The bighorn TL2 can be cut for AW mags too!

Last edited: