• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin Bolt Handle Angle

Guyotrd

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I just got my second Bighorn / KRG Bravo rifle built - The first has a 6.5 CM Steel and 300 WSM Proof Carbon barrel with a TL3.

The second is a Origin / KRG Bravo with a 6.5 PRC Proof CF barrel - Both are extremely accurate and have Tactical Bolt Handles and Timney Calvin Elite Triggers.

Much to my surprise the Origin Bolt sweeps back 45 degrees and raps my trigger finger knuckle (it is a light rifle with the proof carbon) and the 6.5 PRC makes it jump a bit when I fire - It is like a catholic nun rapping your hand with a ruler in school.

The fine folks at Bighorn will help me fix the problem as well as my gunsmith so I am not worried it will not get resolved - we are first going to swap out the tactical bold handle for a teardrop that has a smaller circumference and see it that fixes it. If not perhaps one of the smaller bolt handles like a spiral - but I want to avoid the small handle as I think it would make the follow up shot slower.

I did quite a bit or research on the Origin and never identified the substantial difference on the bolt angle from the TL3 or I would have just got a second one of those. I consider it a design flaw although they got a ton or requests asking for it.

Has anyone experienced this, why would someone want a sweeped back handle instead of straight like the TL3 and am I alone in the way I have my trigger finger placed where this would happen - just curious and would appreciate commentary

To mimic the Remington 700 bolt angle, Zermatt says. Looks like it states this in their ad description for the Origin - " The Origin bolt handle is swept to mimic the Remington 700 as well. "

The sweeped bolt handle matches the factory Remington 700 bolt and allow the Origin to fit in more stocks but most companies have moved to enlarged bolt handle cuts now.

One of the smaller knobs should help. I’m kinda interested in rifle setup, grip, and trigger finger placement as my knuckle is under the bolt knob even with the longer A419 adapter and knob.

I prefer swept handles and would opt for them on every action if given a choice. They seem to bind less fore and aft in the raceway, generally speaking. I dont have any issues with Origin bolts whacking my finger, but I have experienced it on remmy’s with very large knobs. It shouldn't noticeably affect your follow-ups imo.

Reactions: jakelly
I like my swept too, makes it easier to not put sideways leverage when running the bolt and I feel it feels better when I put my thumb on the rifle and open the bolt with the top of my finger, I don’t have to cock my wrist forward like on my straight bolt rem700 (super minor difference though).
I’ve have the large and small spiral origins, never had an issue with recoil catching it.

Not to be critical but it sounds like you’re losing control of the rifle when shooting which is a fundamentals problem and that’s how you get hit in the hand with it.

Reactions: jakelly
Thanks for the responses - The Bighorn pictures - clearly show the difference, so my miss, although I did not for-see this issue, and have never had a Remington 700 to see what mimicking their bolt angle meant.

Here is what threw me off from the FAQ's on their website

"What are the differences between the TL3 and Origin actions?

ANSWER​

TL3's are stainless steel receivers with an integrated recoil lug while Origin's are chromoly receivers with a non-integrated, pinned recoil lug. Origin's are also cut with standard Remington 700 feed lips while TL3's have the option for AICS or AW magazine wells as well as the option for single shot receivers. TL3's have options in tang thicknesses (3), rail incline (3) and different bolt/ejection port combinations while the Origin is offered with a trim tang, 20 MOA rail and only right or left hand short actions."

I posted this because I enjoy sharing and learning on this forum, and was curious as to whether I am the only person that has an Origin with a KRG Bravo and has this issue - meaning I am holding the rifle wrong. There is also a possibility that the KRG Bravo is just not the best match for the Origin. My TL3, Sako 85, Browning A Bolt and Winchester 70 bolt handles do not come any where near the trigger and while no I am no expert I am easily capable of shooting MOA when my rifles/ammo are up to the task. (My AR's are a different story :))

I will get into the shop this week where they have a tear drop handle waiting for me and it will hopefully fix this issue - I like for my rifle set-ups to be consistent, but at this point - 9 months for a new barrel, new action, new stock and then no PRC ammo to shoot anyway and I will learn to live with it. The other option would be to sell the KRG and try a different light weight stock. Although I really like the chassis and avoiding the expense of bedding - the KRG's with the Bighorn and Proofs are my most accurate rifles.

I guess I know what I like, learned the hard way.

To reiterate - the folks at Bighorn and my gunsmith are totally supporting me - so no issues.

Attachments

• IMG_3262.jpg
    IMG_3262.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_3267.jpg
    IMG_3267.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: sgtsmmiii
I believe most PRS folks like the straight handle and National Match Course shooters like the swept handle, mostly for rapid fire stages. I put a Sterks swept handle on my NMC Tikka rifle but had to take it off because like you it rapped me hard every shot between my 1st and 2nd knuckle. I just got a new Origin with the small teardrop knob and it eliminated my problem. I wanted to get the Bighorn SR3 action but was told no swept bolt handle, curious because the older RD3 action used to come with a swept handle. Oh well?

Sweep ‘em all let God sort the other guys out...

That bolt handle should fall close to the second knuckle. Quicker movements and greater purchase area. Straight bolt handles bind worse and look like a dildo hanging off of the side of a rifle.

Based on the second picture with your hand, IMO your grip is high with your thumb in the tang area which is common with hunter style stocks with high grips angles. The bravo and other chassis/stock with 90ish grip angle are design to wrap your thumb or float them which will bring your hand down thus make your trigger finger parallel to the rifle and clearing the bolt. I can post a pic later if you wish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schütze
Thanks - that explains a lot - my first 20 years with rifles were with wood stock hunting rifles - also with my pistols I use the tip of my finger. A picture would be very nice of you.

Thanks - that explains a lot - my first 20 years with rifles were with wood stock hunting rifles - also with my pistols I use the tip of my finger. A picture would be very nice of you.
Like drwood96 said, you're grabbing a handful of grip. Theres a vid Lowlight did with Jacob of Rifles Only years ago. Jacob is establishing his grip on a rifle, and dropping fired cases down between the rifle grip and his palm, and the cases pass through and fall to the ground. In yoir second pic with your finger, you have so much of the grip in your hand, you're reaching for the trigger. Build the grip from the trigger back, what remains of your hand on the grip is just a product of that.

Here’s an Origin with the teardrop knob in a Bravo.
6B75D149-5504-49E7-B0F5-E3E4931896A0.jpeg

Reactions: drwood96