• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin for first PRS Custom build

Terrible_Long_Gunner

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2020
PA
I'm looking at building my first custom PRS rifle. Im looking at the Bighorn Origin for my action. I realize Impact and Defiance are the standards, but how does the Origin stand up to them?

Reactions: Dochs
Origin is my current setup. Haven’t had any issues but upgrading. I think an integral pic rail and recoil lug are critical.

The origin is a great action. Do not think that you are going to hamstring yourself for not having an impact or Defiance. I would say quality wise most custom actions are in the same ballpark these days. Some features cost more due to the machine time or raw material cost, on the other hand some actions cost less due to less machine time and less raw material consumption. i am specifically talking about the pinned rail and recoil lug. The origin is a sick action, and my buddy kicks my ass with one every match we shoot.

Reactions: Junco Grande
Origin is my current setup. Haven’t had any issues but upgrading. I think an integral pic rail and recoil lug are critical.
recoil lug is not. the origin is pinned and so long as it times right and you torque the barrel it doesn't need to be integral. (I own origins and tl3). Integral pic rail might be nice but im not throwing my gun of the side of any mountains anytime soon

recoil lug is not. the origin is pinned and so long as it times right and you torque the barrel it doesn't need to be integral. (I own origins and tl3). Integral pic rail might be nice but im not throwing my gun of the side of any mountains anytime soon

My interests are field matches so it’s possible rifle could fall off the side of the mountain. Last Steel Safari the winds blew friend’s tripod off the ridge.

Also rail has come lose.

My interests are field matches so it’s possible rifle could fall off the side of the mountain. Last Steel Safari the winds blew friend’s tripod off the ridge.

Also rail has come lose.
I’m not saying they don’t have a place. But also loctite your rail screws people

Also rail has come lose.

LOL, if you can bust a pinned 8-40 screwed rail loose your scope is toast and the rail is the last of your worries, but OK...

I've got two Origins - they've left me wanting nothing. I don't think there's a reason to spend more then what an Origin costs on a custom action.

Reactions: Junco Grande
You should be fine. You won't hear many complains from people shooting impacts.

The cost difference of a few hundred dollars will soon be irrelevant to the cost of a whole gun, much less shooting.

I would personally get the best action you can (And it will be hard to argue against Impact) and go from there.

You will change stocks, optics, mounts, barrels maybe even triggers. The Action is the foundation of the gun. No reason to cheap out.

Great action, I have them all and the Origin is a solid ass action and value at the least. Never an issue and probably one of the most versatile for prefits, etc. I don't feel the price point makes it relatively inferior.