• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn Origin SA / MDT LSS xl …. Bolt handle contact

Undertow

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
Lehigh Valley,PA
I’m putting together my first “build”….. really just a parts assembly . But I’m running into a problem.

I have a Bighorn origin SA barreled action with Triggertech diamond trigger and I’m trying to install it into an MDT LSS XL gen 2 chassis.

The bolt handle shank is hitting the chassis and won’t allow full lockup of the bolt, as per the attached pic. A bit disheartening as this is the chassis I was hoping to run for a lightweight option.

I can obviously hog out the chassis’s handle slot but I hate to do that on a new cerakoted piece.

Has anyone run into this? Am I missing something during install that would remedy this? TIA

GB

Attachments

• F246CCC4-AF81-4BF8-929A-41928E325204.jpeg
    F246CCC4-AF81-4BF8-929A-41928E325204.jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 84
  • B9D11224-F23B-4464-B67E-6C77D9C0467B.jpeg
    B9D11224-F23B-4464-B67E-6C77D9C0467B.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 95
Are you sure it's a rem700 chassis?

I never had any issue with when I ran an MPA with my big horn actions, but. I've not put mine in an mdt. Not had that issue with mpa or krg though.

What action screws are you using? Have you tried to put the bolt down all the way before tightening it up? Is there specific sequence for tightening for that chassis or specific washers or number of washers on one screw vs the other screw? The washer usage can make a big difference. I'm sure someone one here will be able to help.

Reactions: Undertow
Are you sure it's a rem700 chassis?

I never had any issue with when I ran an MPA with my big horn actions, but. I've not put mine in an mdt. Not had that issue with mpa or krg though.

What action screws are you using? Have you tried to put the bolt down all the way before tightening it up? Is there specific sequence for tightening for that chassis or specific washers or number of washers on one screw vs the other screw? The washer usage can make a big difference. I'm sure someone one here will be able to help.
It is definitely a Rem 700 chassis, the action body itself fits perfectly, but the Origin bolt shank is round and is thicker than a standard Remington.

I am using the action screws that came with the chassis, they all appear fine.

I’ll look into the washer idea, but I’m not sure how that would work as the washer would need to sit between the round and v-block chassis. Thanks

It is definitely a Rem 700 chassis, the action body itself fits perfectly, but the Origin bolt shank is round and is thicker than a standard Remington.

I am using the action screws that came with the chassis, they all appear fine.

I’ll look into the washer idea, but I’m not sure how that would work as the washer would need to sit between the round and v-block chassis. Thanks
Yeah, I kind of thought that too but after I contacted a buddy who runs krg, he informed me of the recommended washer usage and poof, it worked like a champ. I have no idea if mdt recs a washer on both screws, just the back, just the front, or 2 washers on one and none on the other ect, but it can definitely make a difference. As many mdt chassis with big horn actions are out there, I'm sure there's some kind of explanation and fix for this.

Reactions: Undertow