• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bighorn Origins & Savage Prefit... need help

Chaseerickson12

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2013
Washington
Hey so I took a gamble and ordered a savage prefit from a company called Bison Gun Works! Barrel looks great... the problem I’m having now is it won’t thread onto my action. I ordered a savage small shank which is what origins take. The weird part about all of this is my barrel nut threads on easy. Is it the action having tight tolerances making this happen or something? Last thing I want to do is force it. I did my best to clean both the barrel threads and action threads before giving things a go. Help is greatly appreciated. I emailed the smith to get his answer as well so I’ll keep you all updated on that as well..

I've had good luck with the Bison gun works, he's pretty responsive if you have questions, probably not so much thru the holidays.

Reactions: Chaseerickson12
I just put a Bison Gunworks Savage pre-fit on my ARC Nucleus. It had a similar issue. The Barloc barrel nut was fine, but the action was tight. It still threaded on with no tools (by hand after cleaning the threads), but it was tighter than the barrel nut.

Reactions: Chaseerickson12
I just put a Bison Gunworks Savage pre-fit on my ARC Nucleus. It had a similar issue. The Barloc barrel nut was fine, but the action was tight. It still threaded on with no tools (by hand after cleaning the threads), but it was tighter than the barrel nut.

Did you have to muscle it on the action? Or was it not that hard?

I had a similar problem with my TL3 and a Shilen prefit. The barrel nut spun on with no issue, but the barrel was stiff going into the action. Definitely use anti-seize and if it's bad enough you may want to have a smith check/chase the threads.