• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bighorn TL-3 Bolt Knob

DairyDictator

Unlucky Bastard
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
Anybody ever buy or make an extension for the TL3 that allows you to use knobs made by anyone other than Bighorn? I got the tactical knob on mine and it works, but I'm not the biggest fan. I rack my knuckles on the scope much more often than I'd like to and the knob itself is a little too slick. I've always loved the Badger knob on Rem 700's. Pictures especially with a badger knob on a TL3 would be greatly appreciated.

You know they offer about 5 different styles, right?
I saw all of them and with the possible exception of the spiral one they will all have the same problem or worse in my opinion.

Area 419 offers an adapter
Theirs seems to have 2 Male threaded ends and for mine you'd need one female threaded end to work. Not sure if they built theirs for an earlier model or if the pictures are just incorrect.

Theirs seems to have 2 Male threaded ends and for mine you'd need one female threaded end to work. Not sure if they built theirs for an earlier model or if the pictures are just incorrect.

The Area419 extension will work. Once you unscrew the knob from the BH bolt then you can unscrew the thread. That will leave the female end still on the bolt handle.

All the new models and origin have changed the bolt handle. There is a threaded bolt going into the bolt body itself now . The earlier TL3s the bolt was threaded and knob screwed onto that . Mine broke off and they sent me a replacement that had the new style . Reason they went to the threaded bolt is what happened to mine . They did it free of charge since mine broke . So the area 419 probably wont work with earlier models

I picked up the Area-419 adapter and bolt knob....they are great. I really love my TL3's, but I like the shape of the Mausingfield knob better. The Area-419 knob is pretty close to that of the Mausingfield. The way I run the bolt, it captures my fingers on the bolt up stroke perfectly. I've only used it for dry firing since it was just delivered this weekend, but I'll put it through it's paces soon enough.

I've been looking at this issue too. The problem I run into is the bolt handle is a bit short for my hands, so when I thumb on the back of the stock and use the side of my index finger to blade the bolt handle upwards, I sometimes slip off the end of the knob. Just need something a bit longer to help prevent this.

I'd like a knob like what's on the Defiance Tenacity/Rukus but the threading is not the same. Other possible option is the Surgeon standard bolt knob (not the pineapple) since I think that's the same thread pitch as the older style bighorn bolt handle. Not sure how long it is though, but i think it's a bit longer than the standard Bighorn tactical knob.

I also have a Bighorn action with the newer knob threading. For that one I'm thinking about just adding a short spacer to give me a tiny bit more length.

I’ve been running one of the area 419 on my origin since the release, and ordered one for my tl3. I wish the extension was a little longer but once I got the muscle memory ingrained I barely notice it.

So quick question for you guys. The bolt has a male thread coming out of it and the knob has a female thread. I just got it mid 2018. I may be getting confused in the language used, but is the male thread on the bolt just an insert that can be unscrewed or is it fixed and I just have an old version?

@winklche You should call Zermatt to confirm.... But I believe if it has 1/4-28 threads then it is the new design that uses a set screw that can be removed..... If it is the larger thread size 5/16-24 it is likely integral to the bolt.

Reactions: Zermatt Arms
I have two custom bolt handles spun up from the guy at The Polished knob he does an awesome job just send him the speck on what you want I bet he could knock one out just like you want

Reactions: King_beardsly
They just put out a few new options on ig if that helps. The competition (in the center of photo) looks awesome to me, too bad mines permanently attached.....

Attachments

• 7C1D6439-BAEC-40BF-9773-8F6772B3A9C8.png
    7C1D6439-BAEC-40BF-9773-8F6772B3A9C8.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 245
They just put out a few new options on ig if that helps. The competition (in the center of photo) looks awesome to me, too bad mines permanently attached.....
On their web site under the bolt knob additional info they still list the 5/16-24 as an option but if you look at the actual drop down menu all options including the new Competition, and Spiral Extended versions are only available in 1/4-28 thread. If you're unsure which you've got, I read a helpful answer they provided on their facebook page: "... If you remove your bolt knob and the threads have an Allen key at the end, it's 1/4". If not, it's 5/16". "

Last edited:
I have two custom bolt handles spun up from the guy at The Polished knob he does an awesome job just send him the speck on what you want I bet he could knock one out just like you want

Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up going this route for my TL3's. After a lot of messing around with my current bolt knob in different positions I decided I wanted something that was at least 0.25" longer than the stock knob. I drew up a custom handle with my own dimensions and he made it up for me. Cost was *very* reasonable for a pair of them, cerakoted black. He made one for the 1/4-28" thread pitch and one for the 5/16-24" thread pitch bolt handles.

IMG_3741.jpg