• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

++Bighorn TL3 Builds++

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Want to start and/or consolidate a thread for the TL3 now that it's out and people are using them. Let's see your builds!

Mine:
    PVA TL3 (tactical knob, AICS cut, hybrid tang, 30-moa rail)
    6-Dasher / .223 Wylde
    Mad Scientist brake
    MPA BA Comp chassis
    Athlon Cronus MPA 1-pc mount
    Harris bipod

Last edited:
    Very nice setup. Hopin to have mine very soon. Will be the same setup as yours in 6dasher. How does she shoot? Are you using norma brass and chamber?

Very nice setup. Hopin to have mine very soon. Will be the same setup as yours in 6dasher. How does she shoot? Are you using norma brass and chamber?

Lapua 6BR brass hydro-formed.
    Shoots lights-out.

Just sent a 6mm blank to Josh today for a 6x47L barrel. I've been shooting my tl3 since July. Gets better every time I take her out

Any of you guys running TL3's have any experience with Surgeon 591's? Just curious as to how folks think the TL3's are stacking up to the Surgeon (as that is what I currently own), but am looking really hard at the TL3. Any info?

Rem 700 and my TL3 Loaded up 200 rounds yesterday...... waiting to shoot sucks almost as much if not worse then waiting for the action to come in....

Attachments

• photo48697.jpg
      photo48697.jpg
      171.1 KB · Views: 624
    • photo48698.jpg
      photo48698.jpg
      217.2 KB · Views: 701
    • photo48699.jpg
      photo48699.jpg
      151.1 KB · Views: 680
    Reactions: Army First
    Any of you guys running TL3's have any experience with Surgeon 591's? Just curious as to how folks think the TL3's are stacking up to the Surgeon (as that is what I currently own), but am looking really hard at the TL3. Any info?

In all honesty both actions are very similar in design and feel. The TL3 tips the scale with more bang for your buck. CRF and Mechanical Ejection are amazing. I run AW mags and can't express how smooth they operate. I'll always have a special place in my heart for a surgeon scalpel but the TL3 takes the cake

Reactions: Zack_va248
    Fire forming the Dasher brass today so had to really slam them home to seat. Still worked wonderfully and grouped better then I could have hoped for . It will be nice to start using real loads now.

Just shamelessly piling on here, I already posted pics of mine in another thread. Anyway, the rifle is a Bighorn TL3 action with the 30 MOA rail and a medium tang, a Bartlein barrel chambered in 260 REM, sitting in a KRG X-Ray chassis with a Timney Calvin Elite trigger, topped with a Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 and tipped with Thunder Beast's Ultra 7. So far she seems to be liking the ELD-Ms, now if I could just find those available somewhere.

Just starting to get this one together and working on loads. Going to paint the action soon but had to get a few shots through it first after the wait. Bugholes chambered barrel, MPA chassis, TL3, Timney trigger, Magpul AICS, Vortex Razor.

y3mDPbeEA2f3aaRkjPe6BMQd74_KHUJ4TeuhlUq21BFv4Pq7Rqrw4T1EBtzwvd7xjSlkgpU7g1-Ow8K7koU-2mpSqPyGdW...jpg

y3mSOuuboHUjn8DDlcGRkbhgWDtbjJjy8I6s-ddXIi9Tpc0bzyTZPKpNb4fcm36ybMdc60dZQrllsOuR9rgD7Bb9wsU36d...jpg

y3mslKFyT3qMsGXu6i35DBqZPlZBMxI7T8HTJAtlhFgSlSUcxkLa9FAOaGLaYT5yReggUjP9BtTXkPHzhaypTN62dWvTWT...jpg

Reactions: Boogieman84
    Those rigs are good looking. I'm looking forward to hearing how they shoot for you all. Also what everyone chooses for the dress on them.
    Anyone notice the low numbers on the receivers? That is my lowest serial number I've ever owned. :)
    m1k3 what caliber did you go with?

The 2nd barrel is a 6.5 SAUM. Also a Muller Works. I'm still waiting on my Whidden die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm shooting the Dasher with 31.9 (2900fps) and 32.1 (2940fps) 8208XBR w. 105 JLK's. Both are very accurate but I'm still looking for single digit SD's. 31.9 is probably the load for now with 8-10SD's. 32.1 was definitely 11+ on SD's.
    We fireformed with 80G FB Bergers that were very accurate to 300 (1/2 moa). At 600 the group was wider being more affected by the wind than the 105's.

Josh is shipping me today a TL3 barreled action in 6x47 and .223 Wylde. These will also sit in an MPA chassis. The chassis + Minox + barrel + empty mag = 15lbs.

Josh is shipping me today a TL3 barreled action in 6x47 and .223 Wylde. These will also sit in an MPA chassis. The chassis + Minox + barrel + empty mag = 15lbs.

Lucky Dog!!! What's your thoughts on the Minox? That bugnut system looks very nice as well...

Lucky Dog!!! What's your thoughts on the Minox? That bugnut system looks very nice as well...

I have two Minox. One in an MR5 reticle and one in MR4.
    It is difficult for me to imagine better glass. And the MR4 reticle is the best I've seen.
    When I needed a second scope, so many had posted about the Kahles, I thought I'd try it.
    The turrets may be better (probably are). But I quickly swapped for the Minox.

Those rigs are good looking. I'm looking forward to hearing how they shoot for you all. Also what everyone chooses for the dress on them.
    Anyone notice the low numbers on the receivers? That is my lowest serial number I've ever owned. :)
    m1k3 what caliber did you go with?

6.5 Creedmoor, I figured I would jump aboard. This is also my first Remington style action after running Savages for the last 15 years. Kinda cheated a bit with the floating bolt head and Savage nut. :)

On a side note, those with the MPA chassis, were you expecting to get the barricade stop with the chassis? According to just about every picture of the chassis it was supposed to come with it. The Lite version doesn't and rightfully doesn't picture it. The competition model doesn't come with the monopod and its pictured without one. So it would be safe to assume the pictures of the stocks show what they come with and what they don't come with. I sent MPA an email and they said no, only in the competition one. I've written Brownells asking about it but no response. I leaning toward a bit of false advertising but I think I figured out how to make their stop fairly cheap and will share once I get it completed.

Sounds like yours might be the "Competition" one, do they have the magwell cutout on the side? I took my monopod off as well, probably hold on to it until I forget I have it and then try to sell.

earthquake I noticed you have multiple barrels, would you mind detailing the barrel swap process for me? I am getting a BigHorn soon and like the option of having multiple calibers. Do you use an internal or external action wrench? Do you have to remove the scope and stock to change barrels? Feel free to PM me, I don't want to derail your thread. Thanks

spelunk I plan on making a video of the process soon. Another member asked me as well.
    Quickly though, I use a Brownells vise and a Holland rear entry wrench. I remove the scope and stock. You also have to remove the mechanical ejector, but it's made very easy by Bighorn.

I also recently bought a Viper Vise and am mounting it to a hitch receiver extension so I can swap them out at the range if need be.
    I haven't looked into external wrenches, but am interested. I welcome recommendations.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jd138
    I just ordered myself a Holland rear entry action wrench as well.

I had hoped that one of the cheaper generic R700 wrenches would be a good solution since you can get them for half the cost of the Holland. However, after calling Bighorn and talking to them they recommended the Holland as what they use. They also provided the dimensional specs for the action internals so that I could check and see how well a generic wrench would fit the Bighorn. (Specs I got from Bighorn were .43-450" on the flat thickness, .98-1.0" blade width, and .68-702 on the shaft diameter for desired wrench size). I called one vendor and they were kind enough to measure their generic R700 action wrench. Unfortunately the measurements were not ideal - it might have worked but I wasn't comfortable with it. I then called Holland and they measured their wrench for me and it matched what Bighorn suggested perfectly. I ordered the Holland on the spot.

Now if I can get get my TL-3 in hand, I'll be in business!

Reactions: DIBBS
    This will be my 1st TL3 - have three TL2s running already. Biggest question I have is whether the TL3 is a good choice for a Dasher build, or would I be better off going with another TL2 action I have in stock? I know of several members here who had Dashers on TL2-SAs and were very pleased with them, and I wonder about the TL3's mechanical ejector & whether it'll flip empties out or just flip them around backwards and leave 'em in the action.

BTW, I've always used a Davidson M700 rear entry action wrench on TL2 actions - hadn't realized there was the need for a different wrench for the TL3

Last edited:
    Aren't the SR3s from PVA supposed to be shipping soon? Or did i dream that up?

This will be my 1st TL3 - have three TL2s running already. Biggest question I have is whether the TL3 is a good choice for a Dasher build, or would I be better off going with another TL2 action I have in stock? I know of several members here who had Dashers on TL2-SAs and were very pleased with them, and I wonder about the TL3's mechanical ejector & whether it'll flip empties out or just flip them around backwards and leave 'em in the action.

BTW, I've always used a Davidson M700 rear entry action wrench on TL2 actions - hadn't realized there was the need for a different wrench for the TL3

IMHO with my TL3 in 6Dasher its perfect. I pull slow and it lays them nicely turned waiting for me to grab it. When I pull hard they all go into my baseball hat same spot everytime. Zero ejection issues to date.

NO! They're not allowed to ship any until I get my TL-3! :)

Ordered one year ago this week.... waiting is so hard.

I ordered mine in october of 16. That's a long wait there Sheldon. Did you order from PVA as well?

Str8shot - thanks for the vote of confidence. I've got both TL2-SA & TL3-SA actions in hand, along with identical Manners T4A molded-in desert camo (just like the T5A in the post above). Dialed-in a Krieger 1-7.5tw sendero blank this afternoon, and reamed the chamber as deep as I can go until I make the decision on which action to go with. Will likely head out to the shop in the morning to finish that bbl for the TL3. Reason I was concerned is that I recently built another Dasher for a customer on a Kelbly Atlas Tactical, and he's having issues with the TG ejector flipping the empties back around & leaving them in the action. Don't want to deal with that sort of thing in the TL3, so asked about it here.

Totally get it as I've seen it happen in other actions. Mine is very positive in how it feels and it is very consistent in where they go depending on how hard I grab the handle.

Paul

That's reassuring - I just finished a Krieger 1-7.5tw sendero contour chamberd for the Dasher for my TL3 this evening. Manners sent a shipping notice sometime after I left the house this morning - the T4A stock for the TL3 is due in by Monday. Will bed the bbl'd action into the stock as soon as I've had a chance to check it out, then get it & the DBM CeraKoted (McM tan or Magpul FDE - haven't decided yet). There's a Gen III Kahles K624i AMR sitting in the safe, and a Jewell HVR out in the shop, plus a couple of boxes of new Lapua 6mm BR Norma brass in the basement. We'll have a grand ol time very soon!

Just loaded up 50 rounds in 0.2gr increments from 31.0-32.8gr H4985 under 105gr Berger's today. Hopefully get out soon and shoot em'.

Tl3 Dasher from Josh is on the way ,.. have a MPA chassis waiting for her as well as a BixnAndy Marksman trigger ...

I ordered mine in october of 16. That's a long wait there Sheldon. Did you order from PVA as well?

Damn this doesn't give me much hope. I ordered my tl3 in dec and josh said it would be feb before I saw it, but I know here have been some delays out of his control lately. If someone has been waiting for a year, I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Damn this doesn't give me much hope. I ordered my tl3 in dec and josh said it would be feb before I saw it, but I know here have been some delays out of his control lately. If someone has been waiting for a year, I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up.

To keep it in perspective though, most of that wait was preorder wait on Bighorn to start shipping the TL-3. The other really big chunk of time was the DLC coating with delays on the supplier's end. Both of those are out of Josh's control, so your wait time shouldn't be nearly as long. I've got another local buddy who ordered his TL3 from Josh long after I did (but with no DLC coating) and he's already got his in hand and it's a hammer.

Mine will be done soon, working out the final payment and FFL info with Josh this week. I'm sure he'll have yours done in no time.

Reactions: Wags
    To keep it in perspective though, most of that wait was preorder wait on Bighorn to start shipping the TL-3. The other really big chunk of time was the DLC coating with delays on the supplier's end. Both of those are out of Josh's control, so your wait time shouldn't be nearly as long. I've got another local buddy who ordered his TL3 from Josh long after I did (but with no DLC coating) and he's already got his in hand and it's a hammer.

Mine will be done soon, working out the final payment and FFL info with Josh this week. I'm sure he'll have yours done in no time.

That's awesome Sheldon, make sure you post up some pics... Mine shouldn't be too far behind yours, just waiting for it to return from cerakoting and then the payment/shipping process.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not really in a huge hurry but glad to hear it likely won't take a year. Josh told me mine was at dlc a few weeks ago so hopefully not too much longer.

I placed my PVA order in November. Last time I contacted Josh for an update he said the Dlc was taking 8 weeks now. That will put my delivery in May. When I originally talked to Josh he told me 6-8 weeks for the complete build.

I don't even want DLC, and have been waiting since August for a lefty. At least it gives me plenty of time to pick a scope. Still can't decide between Kahles, Minox, Razor, or Sig Tango.

Well, Josh just announced on Facebook that Patriot Valley Arms is now his full time job and he's no longer just doing it as a side business. That's going to make a big change in lead times and I predict a lot of happy customers with builds in hand very soon.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Str8shot