• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bighorn TL3 question

reeljob

Pastor
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Galax, VA
Im going to ask this here under Gunsmithing but may be a Reloading question but since most of us roll our own Im sure you may be able to help.
I just received my first TL3 and began the build yesterday. Installed a CBI barrel and did the same process as always before, I have several Remage and Savage builds under my belt. After checking and rechecking headspace went to the bench to load some rounds.
At the range not a single round would discharge. Primers appear to be hit hard enough but no pew.
Three times I took it apart and reassembled, same thing. Primer would fire on a primed brass but not a loaded round.
Took apart again, this time removed the extractor, same thing. Began thinking it could be the CCI BR primers so went back to the range with Fed GMM primers and every round fired but the CCI still would not.
So, bad primers? Tolerance really that tight on a TL3? Cold weather and cup of the CCIs? What is your guys opinion?
All sensible and logical help appreciated.
Barry

Not sure how to measure to measure firing pin protrusion without taking the barrel back off. Primers are struck enough to where I don't see how they didn't fire. Does not appear to be a light stike on most cases but the CCIs do appear a little more inconsistent as far as depth than the Feds.

Not sure how to measure to measure firing pin protrusion without taking the barrel back off. Primers are struck enough to where I don't see how they didn't fire. Does not appear to be a light stike on most cases but the CCIs do appear a little more inconsistent as far as depth than the Feds.

Pull the bolt and rotate the bolt shroud counterclockwise to de-cock the striker.

There was a known issue with Timney Calvin elite triggers and bighorn TL3's. Something about the cocking piece dragging. If you call bighorn they will verify if this is the problem or not.

Reactions: Huskydriver
I had the same problem with a Timney trigger. The seat drags on the cocking piece and it doesn’t strike the cci primers hard enough. I switched triggers and haven’t had a misfire since. Bix and Andy even offers a special seat for the tl3. Triggertech diamond works out of the box as well.

I have timney ce on tl3 and have light primer strikes. Almost everyone recommendeds changing trigger.

Yes, two for two Timneys are doing the exact same thing. I am going to put the Jewel in it and see if that corrects the issue. I have spoken with Bighorn and they said they will be happy to assist me in resolving the issue.
I do however like this action and am pleased with the results of my build.

I sent my bolt back to Bighorn and their turnaround was fast but I still have an occasional light primer strike. Very frustrating in the middle of a stage. I will be buying new trigger.

Reactions: reeljob
After installing the Jewell I experienced the same issue. Bighorn sent me another firing pin assembly which I tested today and it worked flawlessly. I believe the issue is resolved. It sure was nice to shoot CCI primers and see small SDs on the magnetospeed. Will run a few more rounds before the weekend match just to be sure.
Before today with the original firing pin I got zero CCI primers to fire, today went 20 for 20.