• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes BigJimFish Shot 2014 Coverage: Kahles

BigJimFish

Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
Columbus, OH
Greetings readers.

Another years Shot Show is just about to begin and I have spent a good deal of time thinking about how to best cover the show. In the past I have started individual threads for each maker. I have also tried a thread for a product class with multiple product entries. I considered using the news or blog sections this year for each product that catches my eye but it just didn't feel interactive or real time enough to me. Bottom line, I'm probably never going to be totally happy with any format but I think the best way to go is with a forum thread. I'll update the title with each new major piece of content added and probably generally make a mess of the thing by jamming together review snippets, blog type content, and reporting on a mix of different product classes all into one thread. You are encouraged to add your thoughts to this mess as that is the purpose of using a forum thread as the basis for my Shot reporting. I'm electing to put this thread into the Optics forum since that is most of what I cover but do not be surprised by some off optic content. That's all for now, expect the interesting stuff to start next Monday at range day.

-Jim

Last edited:
Subscribed. Thanks for taking the time to relay info to us guys that would love to be at Shot in person. Have a good time! Going to make it down there one of these days.

Pop corn ready... Look for new features, magnification ranges, reticals, dual scopes. Anything that was designed from a tactical line but redesign for a hunting scope.

Looking forward to see what the new AI models bring to the table and at what price point.

I feel stupid for asking, but how do you subscribe to a thread and what does it do for you?

I feel stupid for asking, but how do you subscribe to a thread and what does it do for you?
Right above the OP's first post you'll see a drop down "Thread Tools" with "Subscribe to this thread" as an option. Gives you options to have instant, daily, or weekly emails of updates, or only control panel notifications at the top right of the page when you're on the Hide.

Right above the OP's first post you'll see a drop down "Thread Tools" with "Subscribe to this thread" as an option. Gives you options to have instant, daily, or weekly emails of updates, or only control panel notifications at the top right of the page when you're on the Hide.

Hmmm, that's strange - when I open up the thread tools pulldown, it says "unsubscribe to the thread". But I never subscribed. I wonder how that got turned on? Thanks for the tip though....

Hmmm, that's strange - when I open up the thread tools pulldown, it says "unsubscribe to the thread". But I never subscribed. I wonder how that got turned on? Thanks for the tip though....

You automatically subscribe when you reply to a thread.

Jim,

I wouldn't worry too much about what's "real time enough". I've always enjoyed your coverage and I'm sure that any format you choose will work just fine.

Thanks for your contributions!

John

Shot Show 2014 Monday, Media at the range day:

This is 1/3rd of media day at the range

This was the first year that I have done media day at the range. There was a SNAFU, I got an extra special magical morning pass and went for it. Not surprisingly, I spent most of the day at the long range section. In this area steel targets were presented at ranges from 100-960 yards. Not bad, what more could a guy ask for. Booths, or rather benches in this section is pretty tight as the benches are spaced in the typical way for a firing line and most exhibitors have just one.

The long range. Yea, I know, you’ve seen a long range before and you can’t even see the interesting targets.

The first product I demoed was tracking point. I wanted to see if it worked at all, and what the experience was like. I’ll start with the experience because whether or not it worked is a more complex question. Most of you have probably seen the amazing production value demo videos that they have on their website and have a good idea how the tagging and tracking works but I’ll summarize a bit. You look through the optic and alight the little dot reticle with the target then push a red button on the trigger guard of the special rifle to mark the target. The target is marked with a red dot and crosshairs appear at the place the laser rangefinder and your typed in wind determines to be the correct point of aim. You pull the trigger than line up the crosshairs with the dot and the gun fires when it thinks you have done well enough.

The TrackingPoint rifle shooting targets, I think.

In principle nothing could be easier but there are a few wrinkles. The first thing you notice is that the target doesn’t always immediately mark. It helps to hold down the button a bit to convince it you are serious. I think it’s a bit like many laser range finders, a little finicky at close to 1,000 yards, and maybe it doesn’t always get the read it wants instantly. Anyhow, after it gets the read at that range you had better start gently moving he target to the very top of the field of view because when the cross hairs come up both they and the marking dot have to be in that small field of view or it looses track and you have to start again. I was a bit clumsy and this happened a lot. I was also a bit careless and tended to shift into final shooting position after the marking, a natural thing to do since you have to move the rifle. This also caused me to loose tracking. I did get some excellent practice testing the marking function though.

So, now you have it marked and you have kept everything in the field of view, time to fire. As mentioned before the rifle actually does this part, not you. This is…. interesting. I learned many things about my shooting from this actually. It turns out that there is a whole set of events one learns, practices, and eventually subsumes into some kind of quasi conscious routine and all of these, before and after, are timed based on the shot. Your position, breathing, muscle tension, follow though, all this changes throughout the process of making a shot. I tried to duplicate my normal routine but when the gun will go off is really a bit hard to predict. Sometimes the alignment looked perfect and nothing. Other times it looked just a bit off and surprise, bang. Perhaps you get used to it, but I found it very unsettling.

Now on to whether the system worked. Umm…. I think so. The spotter said hit but, with all the racket, you can’t really hear the steel. Furthermore, that little field of view is very hard to get back on target to spot the hit yourself. This is especially true since the surprise nature of the bang through my follow though all to hell and it never recoiled exactly the same way twice or back on target even once. I’m not sure how good a spotter it would be even if you could find the target, the optics are not impressive.

So bottom line, it works, I think but it has something of a learning curve of its own. You don’t need to remember your drop and drift, carry a rangefinder, or have very good shooting mechanics but if you have all, or most of, those things already, you will probably find it more trouble than its worth. In any case, I still think this system represents a taste of things to come. I have little doubt that eventually this technology will be commonplace and less quirky to operate.

On a related note: I also tried the similar, and licensed from Tracking Point, Remington 20/20 system. While you do get to pull the trigger yourself on this one, the display is a very grainy black and white, the rangefinder is limited to 750yds, and the ballistic solution (It telling you where to fire) is limited to 500 yds. That’s probably all I really need to say about that.

The Remington 20/20 version of the TrackingPoint. I think the photo captures exactly what it felt like to look through.

Upcoming details about these other thins at the range today:
Leupold Mk 6 3-18x (There will be much more on this), Chris Reed from Top Shot spotted for me and I didn’t even catch on until 3/4ths of the way though. He works for Mcree Precison who’s new chasis system the rifle was equipped with. I know, I’m supposed to be a badass, but I’m not really and I was a little starstruck.

I got a kick out of meeting Chris.

Leupold Mark 6 3-18x on a rifle sporting the new Mcree chasis.

Miller Precision 300 WinMag AR10 (they are also coming out with a .338 Lapua
Trijicon VCOG an TARS
Barret Mrad
Burris XTR – Very affordable, I see good things for them
Sako TRG M-10
Steiner

There will also be some talk about multi caliber systems, as quite a few are now floating around, as well as some talk about target cameras as both Bullseye camera systems and Target Vision were present.

Your moment of Zen : Whatever dumb ass put the lunch tent by the full auto lane ought to have to eat in it and see how he likes the racket

Tagged, Thanks for all the coverage and information!

I know it's a lot of work to put this together and it is really appreciated!

Would it be possible for all the reports from SHOT be put in one forum section? Create a separate section for reports?

Anything new from NF other than the SHV? Thanks for the coverage!

Sorry for the lack of any new information yesterday. The Nikon battery in my N1 V1 camera decided to declare itself dead at the USO booth before the first photo of the day. It didn’t run out of juice, or fail to charge. It just politely informed me, on the camera’s LCD, that it needed to be replaced and would not be doing my bidding ever again. I was less polite, and that was half my day and $100 worth of taxi and battery. Not so good a review for Nikon’s batteries. I bought an off brand replacement.

For what its worth, George at USO was nice and pretended I wasn’t totally unprepared and incompetent. USO has a couple wrinkles this year. The first one is the 1-4x with dot illumination. Since you are wondering, this is the optical design of the old SN4 1-4x but with the tube in front of the objective shortened and with beam splitter projected dot illumination added in the eyepiece. Just like the SR-8c, whose illumination it now shares, it is daytime bright. Also in new products, there will be sportsman’s models. For the moment these are 1.8-10x chassis with no T-pal and, in some cases, simpler knobs. They will be a little less costly but have the same glass and quality. I should also mention that the 110click EREK knobs were out in force this year. These were talked about last year but were featured on many of the 5-25x display pieces this year. They look just like the other EREK knobs but slightly higher. The last new feature to be shown was the mini EREK. This was shown on an SR-8C, but will have availability on other models as well. At first the mini EREK will be a custom shop order, but if demand justifies the volume, (and I think it will on the 1-8x it will) there may be standard models. Before we leave USO I would like to talk about some of the process improvements being implemented regarding turrets. For a while now USO has been updating their processes and equipment to lower costs, improve quality and especially consistency. You should expect more scope to scope consistency of feel to the turrets in the future as well as better waterproofing. I expect that you have already noticed, with the edition of the standard model offerings, the more attractive prices at which they can be had…. Oh, there are two more Horus reticles, the H130 and H102, I have nothing to say about them at this time since I haven’t had time to read through the weighty handouts. I do not need you to point out the irony of me saying that.

New U.S. Optics 1-4x with projected dot and 1-8x with the mini-EREK knob

I shot the Burris XTR 2, 4-20x at range day Monday and was quite pleased with it. The reticle didn’t blow me away, it is kind of Gen II mil-dotish it memory serves, but it worked fine with the 10 mil per turn ZS turret. The whole package worked together, looked clear, and will sell for $1,200. Really, it seems like a good value to me. Interestingly, this line, and there will be more on the 1-5x and its fantastic illumination in the future, actually has subcontracted manufacture. I’m a little sad for America on this one as these are some of Burris most compelling offerings and I expect them to do very well.

Shooting the Burris XTR 2 4-20x at range day. Rifle is the Sako TRG M-10 set up in .338.

I think here is a good place for a Tangent Theta blurb as I visited Paul at the booth today. As usual, I got lost looking for somewhere else and found Tangent Theta. I can never find this booth when I look for it. The bottom line with the new scope offerings is that the optical designs are basically the ones you were familiar with from Premier Reticles Heritage line but they have improved the turrets and also claim to have fixed the parallax binding issue many folks had after tightening rings by thickening up the main tube. Really, those were the problems I heard about with Premier so perhaps this is full speed ahead. The new turrets really do feel excellent and the zero set is easy and tool less. Nice scopes, and, as noted, starting at $3k and going to $4.25k, expensive scopes. For all those with Premier Heritage scopes, Paul with continue to service the until he dies. That is kind of a lifetime warranty. I guess you could always take out a small life insurance policy on Paul so your good either way.

The new Tangent Theta turrets

I think I’ll finish today with American Rifle Company. Yea, I wondered why a company that made scope mounts picked that name as well. Turns out, they always planned on making rifles. Ted is kind of an evil genius. At least a cranky genius, but I prefer evil. In any case, he certainly thinks well outside of the box. His new products are rifles are difficult classify. They are completely unique designs. First off, you have a custom Remington 700 footprint action that is nothing like any other 700 action you have ever seen. He calls it the Mausingfield because, in combination with the 700 footprint, it has a Mauser 98 type extractor and a Springfield 03 type ejector. You will note that this solves two of the largest failure points on the 700 action. Incidentally, he also solves the primary complaint about the Mauser action by giving it enough underside to easily bed. This action is fully compatible with Remington 700 accessories and can be fed with AICS mags, However, it takes its own, better, keyed rail which I don’t expect you will mind one bit. It runs $1,500.

American Rifle Company Mausingfield action prototype (final will have larger ejection port)

You would think the Mausingfield action to be a huge release but it’s actually not his badass product of the year. The evil genius has also released the M2 Precision Rifle (I know, from great name to really?? I think M2 is taken, forever.) The M2…. No, I think I’m going to call it the “SwitchFieldMause” is a very unique multi-caliber platform. I’m not sure where to start with this thing. There are 5 patents, all presumably utility, just on the handout. I’ll just give you some highlights:

1) It features the Mauser action / Springfield ejector but with a custom footprint, trigger, and chassis
2) It ejects right but the bolt handle can be field switched to either side
3) It is far lighter than any other multi-cal system, 12 lbs with 27” barrel
4) Has a unique toroidal bolt head interface with a spherical lugs that requires no lapping
5) The stock can be folded either way depending on configuration
6) Unique action / chassis interface prevents stress from being transmitted from the chassis to the action.
7) The barrel does not have an extension to interface with the bolt lugs yet also is not threaded and torqued into the action where the lugs are. I am very interested to see this interface but some bastard stole the hex wrench set and so I didn’t get to.

Really, the SwitchFieldMause is just not a whole lot like any gun I have seen before. I mean its got recognizable elements from different designs but there all mixed in with a whole lot of things I have no reference point for. Color me interested.

American Rifle Company SwitchFie…. Err M2 multi-caliber platform

And here is your moment of Zen. Believe it or not, she exists, no photo shop. That, and she is either a great actress or a real sweetheart.

Last edited:
Well, we have talked about some good things so I suppose it’s about time to break some bad news. I have the scoop on the S&B 1-8x and your not going to like it. Really, they should have round binned this project, or at least warehoused it Indiana Jones style, like the Tangent Theta folks did because I think what they have done is worse. S&B will be releasing two 1-8x scopes this year, a 1.1-8x24 PMII High Power, and a 1-8x PMII Short Dot CC. The rub is that the high power is first focal plane with conventional, very dim illumination, and the other is 2nd focal plane with a flash dot. The original design was to have a ffp reticle with conventional illumination plus a flash dot in the second focal plane. This is, of course, what you want in a hybrid of a sniper scope and a red dot sight since it gives you that flash dot but also allows your reticle to be accurate at all powers and, importantly, keeps your point of aim from shifting with changes in magnification as happens in all 2nd focal plane scopes. Both of the options they are releasing are around $3,750 so you will have to pay quite a lot for not exactly what you want. Given that a Leupold CQBSS starts at $3k even and is ffp with daytime bright illumination I would say the posturing is over, the paper tiger revealed and Leupold wins this one.

Before leaving S&B I should also mention that they have a new 3-20x50 PMII Ultra Short. This features lower turrets that have a zero stop and turn indicator but no lock. You will be pleased to know that unlike last years 5-20x50 (strangely still offered) this optic is reasonably comfortable to be behind. The eyebox is useable. The price is $4,369. I have no idea why they picked that strange number given how many 99’s they have in the list but there you go. I’m beginning to think S&B might be using the dart board approach to pricing anyway. Actually, prices that look more, shall we say optimistic, seem to be cropping up with more frequency every year.

S&B 3-20x50 PMII Ultra Shorts next to a normal 3-20

Speaking of Leupold and unfortunate pricing, I have a little more bad news. I have been watching the Mark 6 3-18x for a while and shot it this year at range day. It performed exactly how I expected. It was a pleasure to shoot. Given the size, weight, quality of glass, innovative turrets, and $2.2k starting price, I was smitten. Still, I like to have illumination in my optics just in case. So, I have been anticipating illuminated SKU’s and also hoping for a better reticle at the same time. Well, the illuminated SKU has come and with it an extra $1k price tag. Depending on the reticle and illumination this same optical platform can be bought for anywhere between $2,200 and $4,500. I assume that I am not alone in thinking that is a rather insane pricing scheme. I’m bummed out. At $2,500 illuminated, this thing would have been unstoppable and I really don’t think that adding light for $300 is a hard thing to do. Vortex and USO do it for $200. I’ll also mention that there is a new low turret option for the Mark 6 3-18x that only locks at Zero and requires no unlocking during further adjustment. It is still 10 mils per turn with a turn indicator.

Leupold Mark 6 3-18x with illumination and low profile turrets.

Speaking of Vortex, those Razor HD Gen II boat anchors have some fantastic optics and desirable reticles. The knobs are also significant improvements over the last gen. Vortex are going to keep offering the previous Razor HD’s for the moment but given the aggressive price of these Gen II’s and their excellent glass and features I expect sales will be pretty lopsided. These are very appealing scopes for those who don’t swap their optics to hunting rigs or AR’s and maybe aren’t at all concerned about the weight. I know some folks with these are going to be shooting next to folks with much pricier optics in competition and the edge won’t be going to the big spenders.

Close up of the turret on the new Razor HD 2’s showing the turret with the top removed for zeroing and the double turn indicator.

The last product I will mention today is the McRee’s Precision BR-10 RAP Chassis. I’m not really sure what all those letters and numbers mean. Arrangements like this seem to be part of the military vocabulary. Sometimes I Google them, but what I have found is that the military alone has the tendency to reuse even its official acronyms, liberally. Once you factor in all the acronyms used in the shooting industry, not surprisingly populated substantially with former service men and women, what you pretty much come up with is a lot of jumbles of mostly indecipherable letters in which M,B,X,R, and T are entirely over represented. The important thing is that this is the chassis you wanted to hear about and most likely the reason that you wanted to hear about it is that it is very modular and therefore highly configurable. The basic premise is that it replaces the recoil lug on the 700 action with an M4 barrel nut. This allows any AR forearm to be used and also allows you to service the rifle with a common AR tool. On the other side of the chassis is a foldable butt stock. The standard one that they make has a nice adjustable cheek piece (each side adjusts independently), adjustable LOP, adjustable pad height, includes a bubble level, and is very solid. However, to reduce weight an AR stock adapter can be added and any AR stock system used. In the end you could really have the system weigh about anything you want. Currently they are selling these as complete kits where all you add is the action W/trigger. This runs $1,790-$1,890 + the your action. I expect at some point you will see some more flexibility in ordering where maybe you pick more of the exact components utilized.

A variety of configurations of the new McRee’s Precision BR-10 RAP Chassis

And now for your moment of zen. This Cabot Guns 1911 features real Damascus steel slide, various titanium nitride treated parts, and mammoth tooth ivory grips that are truly incomparable. Pictures do not do it justice. This is the most beautiful handgun I have ever seen. It is not for sale, well not to me anyway.

You have any other parting shots or alibis for Vortex? You just aroused my appetite without beddin'er back down...