• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bino Pan-Tilt Adaptor that isn't $300?

warrantchief

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2023
Montana
Hi errr'body, I have an arca ball head tripod that is great for my rifle but a PITA to adjust smoothly with my 18x56 binos on top. Does anyone know of an arca to arca optic "adaptor" like this one from RRS? https://rrssoar.com/ptscout/

I looked at the normal alternative brands but can't find anything that goes from arca to arca. This is pretty close but I'm not sure how to put an arca mount on the bottom. https://leofotousa.com/products/leofoto-sw-01-mounting-head-for-binoculars-lens-and-camera

Thanks!

You could get a great deal on the Sirui VA5 head. Super head, Arca, on sale now for $119.99, from $164.90

Feel free to call me with any questions at 516-217-1000

Joel

Hey Joel, that looks great, but I want to put it on top of my existing rifle arca ball head not to replace the rifle head. Would this work or that? Thanks

This is a full head, can't go on another head, sorry

Hi errr'body, I have an arca ball head tripod that is great for my rifle but a PITA to adjust smoothly with my 18x56 binos on top. Does anyone know of an arca to arca optic "adaptor" like this one from RRS? https://rrssoar.com/ptscout/

I looked at the normal alternative brands but can't find anything that goes from arca to arca. This is pretty close but I'm not sure how to put an arca mount on the bottom. https://leofotousa.com/products/leofoto-sw-01-mounting-head-for-binoculars-lens-and-camera

Thanks!
So wait, what?

For accurate help, please name your tripod, ballhead, and the head you want to mount on top of the ballhead (assume a pan/tilt head?).

For example, there is no such thing as a “arca ball head tripod”.

There are ballheads, there are tripods that these heads attach to via a screw, and then there is the Arca Swiss standard dovetail interface.

Arca Swiss also makes their own line of heads (not all are ballheads).

I have an RRS 34L with the Anvil 30 ARC head. What I want is the RRS PT-Scout optic adaptor I linked above. What I don't want is pay $365 for it.

I was hoping someone would know of a functional alternative that is less expensive.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
So you’re looking for recommendations for a cheaper pan/tilt head, ok.

Whatever you find, you can just mount an Arca plate on the bottom to mount it to your Anvil, but you probably know that? Maybe?

For example, buy the Sirui VA5 head, mentioned above, and add a Kirk (USA made) Tripod Head Quick Release Plate to the bottom, and slap it into your anvil. Here’s there entire system for that:

RRS probably has some plates that are similar. Or use any old Arca plate. Make sure you can use an allen wrench to screw them together and not those little thumb screws (not enough torque).

If the rotation/panning of the Anvil is the main problem (but not the forward/back motion or a ballhead’s lack of ability to easily “grid” a mountain slope), you could just buy a pan adapter with an integrated Arca clamp and attach the binos to that. They make panning bases (search for that term) with and without integrated Arca clamps. More low profile and less bulk…probably lighter too.

Other similar product terms would be panoramic bases or leveling bases. They are different, but check them out.

Most of these systems will still require you to screw an Arca plate on the bottom to affix it to your Anvil.

Last edited:
You got me looking at video heads (commonly called pan/tilt heads).

Look at this little $56 guy that includes a leveling base. Smallrig has a decent reputation. Probably would work fine for binos.

@warrantchief any of the options here, even that leofoto one you posted will work,
Here's the trick. instead of attaching it direct to your tripod bolt an arca plate to it and clamp it in the Anvil.

Thanks folks. I was not aware that I could just stick an arca plate onto the bottom of the pan/tilt head!

You got me looking at video heads (commonly called pan/tilt heads).

Look at this little $56 guy that includes a leveling base. Smallrig has a decent reputation. Probably would work fine for binos.

I have that exact Smallrig head that I use for sports videos with the family. It’s OK, but just OK. Hard to actually level it and it doesn’t have weight compensation like a “real” fluid head, but for $50 it works decently well.

Reactions: carbonbased
I have that exact Smallrig head that I use for sports videos with the family. It’s OK, but just OK. Hard to actually level it and it doesn’t have weight compensation like a “real” fluid head, but for $50 it works decently well.
That’s good feedback for the OP! Would it work for just binos?

Personally, I think trying to save money in the tripod area is a fools errand, and I’d cut other places first.

I don't understand why you would want to put a pan tilt head on another head? The Sirui or several others would work find. I use something like that on my monopod for long heavy telephoto lenses when photographing sports. But it's mounted directly, not on another head.

I don't understand why you would want to put a pan tilt head on another head? The Sirui or several others would work find. I use something like that on my monopod for long heavy telephoto lenses when photographing sports. But it's mounted directly, not on another head.
My tripod is primarily for my rifle and the anvil 30 is perfect for that. I was hoping to have something easy on/easy off just for the binos that didn't require disassembling my tripod.

My tripod is primarily for my rifle and the anvil 30 is perfect for that. I was hoping to have something easy on/easy off just for the binos that didn't require disassembling my tripod.
Why not just attach your binos with an arca plate to the anvil 30? Seems like a much better option.

Thats obviously what I do now... I want a pan/tilt head with adjustable friction and a handle to make it possible and convenient to pan and tilt smoothly. For example, when I'm scoring on a PRS stage and need to move between targets for each shooter.

Reactions: Conqueror
I ran my spotter on my anvil for a long time. If you’re watching one target it works fine. But if you have to scan a large area or look back and forth between multiple targets a fluid head is way better, with 2nd place going to a pan-tilt head.

Reactions: b6graham