• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bino/Rangefinder Harness with magnet jacking things up?

verdugo60

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 6, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I was just looking at the new FHF FOB bino harness, looks pretty slick for field use. Both the bino harness and side pouch for Laser rangefinder have magnets at the top. Just curious if anyone has had issues with these type of bino pouches with magnets jacking up their laser rangefinder or (more likely) the internal compass.

This could be an issue, especially in the newer models like Swaro EL with Tracking Assistant, Sig KILO 10Ks and Leica PRO's that all provide firing solutions AND interface with apps like basemaps.

Rokslide has lots of conversations on this.

The consensus is that the magnetic closures can interfere with GPS and compasses.

I'm unsure about laser range finders, but if you don't get any answers here check in at Rokslide.

I went with the non-magnetic Marsupial Gear bino harness because of such discussions. It's been a great harness for my purposes.

Reactions: camocorvette

The consensus is that the magnetic closures can interfere with GPS and compasses.

I'm unsure about laser range finders, but if you don't get any answers here check in at Rokslide.

I went with the non-magnetic Marsupial Gear bino harness because of such discussions. It's been a great harness for my purposes.
    I did see a couple of those on Rokslide after a quick search. Figured SH would have more instances with the newer bino's with compass, etc. I guess it's on record here as being a potential issue. I'll probably just stick with my older FHF one for now.

Thanks

Would it mess with the compass, permanently? Or just temporarily, when it’s nearby the magnet?

Would it mess with the compass, permanently? Or just temporarily, when it’s nearby the magnet?

My understanding is that it's only temporary. The interference occurs when it's in the presence of the magnetic field.

However I have not personally tested this.

Reactions: NoLegs24