• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes binocular magnification advice

jesseanderson2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
I am buying Vortex Razors tonight and can't decide between the 8x42 or 10x42. They will be used for hunting in AZ,CO and MN. There will be a mix of open planes and wooded area. The 8X42 has a FOV of 410' and the 10x42 has a FOV of 325 (if I remember right). I have compared to the Vipers and I like the feel and optical quality of the Razors. I am set on the type just need help with the magnification. I have used the Razor 10x42's at a store but have not looked through the 8x42.

I own a Spotting scope so I'm leaning towards the 8x42's ATT

I'm looking for your opinion on weather you think 8x42 will be enough power or should I give up alot of FOV for more zoom?
Thanks for your help

Jesse

Re: binocular magnification advice

I hope you are buying them from Doug or Scott, or one of the Hide supporters. You will get the best deal, and great advice as well as support after the sale.

The answer is really subjective, like most everything else dealing with glass.

Personally, the 10's are about as high as I can go and still manage to use them without a tripod or other support. I would likely buy the 10's, but you cant go wrong with either.

I had a pair of the 8x Vipers when they first came out. Awesome glass for the money.

I have 8x Nikons and love the wide field of view for hunting. Low power is easy on the eyes and great for extended sessions.

I have been using these for a week now and they rock! They are a little big and heavy (few ounces under under 2 pounds) but that is usually the tradoff for great glass. I take them on my nightly hikes and my wife uses them more than I do. Very happy and I would recommend to anyone.

gunwanted,

Did you get Nikon or Vortex 8X bino's? It's a hard bill to fit if you are going from pretty much wide open AZ and CO to MN where the 8x is almost too much. But that's what I'd recommend for anyone who hunts in thick cover like here. Get a lower powered bino and you won't spend half your time searching.

Now if it was just out West then I would say 12X might not be enough. I've had to glass at nearly a mile sometimes, for some time. 12x-15X is nice for that. But, like you said you have a spotting scope and that can take the long range down a bit.

I've never had an issue carrying extra weight. Good bino's, even if they are heavier, are still worth it. My buddy out in Nevada has gone through about six pairs when he finally decided to spend some serious money and get the Steiner Predator roof-type prism binos'. He finally see's what I see. Deer at 1/2 to 1 mile. Now he can pick a way to stalk them.

Anyhow, it looks like you found what you needed. -good luck

For a bino I'd say 7x to 8x is enough for the field work (and 7x was what we used back in service), especially since you already have a spotting scope to take care of higher magnification when you need it.

sandwarrior, I got the Vortex 8X bino's. I found a mule dear across a huge valley @ 964yds ranged with no problem with 8X. I tried the Steiner Predator's and quite a few others before deciding on the Vortex's.

BTW SW I see you live in Lakeville. I grew up about 45-60 mins south of there. I spent alot of time in Lakeville area growing up until I moved to Duluth.

I'm actually over on the Rosemount side. In the corner where nobody wants us. Last to get snowplowed, last to get our streets swept. Rosemount won't let us do any of the free pick-up/drop off days. Cops/ambulance's all argue as to who has to take the call...
whistle.gif
grin.gif

Where'd you grow up Fairibault? My relatives all congregated there before moving on to Elk River...and eventually Nevada. But that was in the 1850's. The move to NV was the last turn of the century. I ended up in MN because of aviation.

I have a friend who has the Nikon with the image stabilization II feature and it is pretty amazing. At 12X the image is very stable and not jittery. I dont understand how the top companies do not offer this when you can get IS in $200 digital cameras?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm actually over on the Rosemount side. In the corner where nobody wants us. Last to get snowplowed, last to get our streets swept. Rosemount won't let us do any of the free pick-up/drop off days. Cops/ambulance's all argue as to who has to take the call...
whistle.gif
grin.gif

Where'd you grow up Fairibault? My relatives all congregated there before moving on to Elk River...and eventually Nevada. But that was in the 1850's. The move to NV was the last turn of the century. I ended up in MN because of aviation. </div></div>

I grew up in Wanamingo-kenyon-Mazeppa area just east of Fairbault. If you are in Aviation I'm sure we know some of the same people, I have some friends up there working as full time techs, UAS Techs and AGR and a couple Heli Pilots.

Sorry I'm off topic now, I will go to PM's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you are buying them from Doug or Scott, or one of the Hide supporters. You will get the best deal, and great advice as well as support after the sale.

</div></div>

Thanks for that, Hydro556. I appreciate it.

Scott