• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Binocular Stabilizing Devices

HootnHoller

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2022
West
I recently got a set of Vortex Razor UHD 10x42 binos. So far I'm very happy with the glass quality, weight and size, especially for the price. Only issue is this is my first set of binos for hunting and I'm realizing that I could use some additional stability at this magnification level. I've been using Canon stabilized binos on boats for the past decade and I guess I've lost my touch. I was a big fan of the forehead rest idea on the Swaro binos but at double the price of the Vortex's, I just couldn't justify the cost. Does anyone make a forehead rest or something similar for Vortex binos, or perhaps something universal? I have a tripod mount already but I'm looking for something that requires no setup for use while scouting/stalking.

There is a mount made for the top of a Trekking pole that sounds like it may be what you're looking for. Might be wiser precision?

What are you using it for?

For periodic handheld scanning, may just be a matter of practice and technique to feel a bit more stable. 10x is pretty doable for handheld scanning, though its on the upper end for longer durations.

For long glassing periods, you can get an RRS Cinch-LR and mount it to a tripod.

Reactions: Bri0242 and Modoc
I recently got a set of Vortex Razor UHD 10x42 binos. So far I'm very happy with the glass quality, weight and size, especially for the price. Only issue is this is my first set of binos for hunting and I'm realizing that I could use some additional stability at this magnification level. I've been using Canon stabilized binos on boats for the past decade and I guess I've lost my touch. I was a big fan of the forehead rest idea on the Swaro binos but at double the price of the Vortex's, I just couldn't justify the cost. Does anyone make a forehead rest or something similar for Vortex binos, or perhaps something universal? I have a tripod mount already but I'm looking for something that requires no setup for use while scouting/stalking.
Sig just made a set of image stabilizing binos

I regret to inform you that the image on their website (and the thumbnail auto generated in your link) both say: discontinued

1692855664078.png

Edit: perhaps the image is wrong? Or there is stock still left?

Last edited:
The Cinch or something like this:

I regret to inform you that the image on their website (and the thumbnail auto generated in your link) both say: discontinued

View attachment 8211603

They had them at the NRL hunter match I went to a couple months ago and they said the ones on display were coming out soon. Maybe a newer version is coming and they discontinued the old ones?

View attachment 8211603

I have these in 10x30, & they are good for the discounted price point. Get a super light tripod (RRS Ascend 14) or monopod. The RRS Cinch-LR is great.

Reactions: carbonbased
What are you using it for?

For periodic handheld scanning, may just be a matter of practice and technique to feel a bit more stable. 10x is pretty doable for handheld scanning, though its on the upper end for longer durations.

For long glassing periods, you can get an RRS Cinch-LR and mount it to a tripod.

Look at the Aziak mount too.

Small enough my binos are in and out of my bino pack easily and small arca foot hooks into the anvil 30 just as well

Light, small, cheap.

OP
If quick, hand held is OK for me. Does take some practice.
If I need more, I sit and rest my elbows on my knees.
More beyond that gets the tripod off the pack.

This. Work on your technique by tucking your arms into your chest and play with hand positioning on the binos as well. Unless you're just a very shaky person you should have no problem getting 10'x steady with good technique and practice. Sitting also helps when your can as does bracing yourself or the binos against a tree. A pint sized gamechanger with getlite fill is also awesome for tossing on basically anything and setting them on.

Reactions: kthomas
Pinch your hat brim. Plenty stable. If you need more stability, +1 on a tripod mount.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was hoping there might be something similar to the forehead rest to make quick, 1 handed scanning easier. I'll pass on stabilized binos. I've already got 2 sets for boating that I could use, I just prefer the feel and durability of normal binos. As I said, I'd prefer to avoid using a tripod mount. I already have the OEM Vortex tripod mount, which is great, but requires a tripod. The trekking pole mount sounds like it may be a good compromise so I'll take a look at that.

@SporterII, I appreciate the generous offer. I'm gonna try out the trekking pole mount for now, but I might take you up on the offer if it doesn't work out.

Thanks guys.

They had them at the NRL hunter match I went to a couple months ago and they said the ones on display were coming out soon. Maybe a newer version is coming and they discontinued the old ones?
Sig doing Sig stuff. This is their business model. 😁😁😁

Here’s some ideas, most DIY.

Also, this place has these sticks that work alone or attach to your backpack straps to support binos. Always wanted to try them.

1692909588960.jpeg

1692909605560.jpeg

The version below can be just suspenders or it can come with a pack. The harness has little cups sewn into it to support the sticks. I’m sure a seamstress that works on outdoor gear could add something like that to an existing backpack that you might own.

1692909838959.jpeg

1692909761734.jpeg

1692910597165.jpeg

I think the version above is weird in that it attaches to your pants like suspenders?

They show it with a camera too. I suppose it would be cool for impromptu video. Here is a proper backpack version.
1692909885582.jpeg

1692910859891.jpeg

They offer a little bag to contain the sticks.

Here are all the versions and options:

Last edited:
Just pinch the brim of a hat and the binos together with your fingers, helps a fair bit. Anything more than that and you throw them on a tripod.

Canon seems to be the leader in image stabilized binoculars.

I haven’t used the Canons, but I will say stabilized optics are fantastic. I have a 7x Nikon image stabilized range finder. It’s not great as a range finder, but you can see so much more detail in objects than you’d expect from just a 7x.

Canon seems to be the leader in image stabilized binoculars.

I haven’t used the Canons, but I will say stabilized optics are fantastic. I have a 7x Nikon image stabilized range finder. It’s not great as a range finder, but you can see so much more detail in objects than you’d expect from just a 7x.
The latest gen Sigs (2023) are a huge step up from the previous generation. Glass is night and day

I have used the cannon 10x42 L IS for the last 4 or 5 years and they are the best gear decision I’ve ever made. I’ve compared them to my buddy’s NL pures and sig zulus and they blow em out of the water for overall functionality. Once you get used to a bit of stabilization it feels like other binos don’t work, regardless of glass quality. I initially bought them for commercial fishing along with Fujinon techno stabi tsx1440, which are much better on water because of greater stabilization, but unrealistic for hunting and have worse low light capability. I hunt with a shooting tripod, but in many of the glassing spots I find it’s really helpful to be able to move around and change perspective/move out of the way of trees without messing around. They are so good I can’t bring myself to switch to rangefinding binos. It seems dubious to buy something that has been on the market this long with the way technology is progressing, but they still hold the crown for 10x in my opinion

I have used the cannon 10x42 L IS for the last 4 or 5 years and they are the best gear decision I’ve ever made. I’ve compared them to my buddy’s NL pures and sig zulus and they blow em out of the water for overall functionality. Once you get used to a bit of stabilization it feels like other binos don’t work, regardless of glass quality. I initially bought them for commercial fishing along with Fujinon techno stabi tsx1440, which are much better on water because of greater stabilization, but unrealistic for hunting and have worse low light capability. I hunt with a shooting tripod, but in many of the glassing spots I find it’s really helpful to be able to move around and change perspective/move out of the way of trees without messing around. They are so good I can’t bring myself to switch to rangefinding binos. It seems dubious to buy something that has been on the market this long with the way technology is progressing, but they still hold the crown for 10x in my opinion
I so wish Canon had an integrated LRF in those binos!

I haven’t even looked through a pair of Canons stabilized binos, but their stabilized super-telephoto lenses are soooooo much better than non-stabilized lenses.

Last edited:
I so wish Canon had an integrated LRF in those binos!

I haven’t even looked through a pair of Canons stabilized binos, but their stabilized super-telephoto lenses are soooooo much better than non-stabilized I just know they wold rock.
The glass is great on the canons they are great for spotting game in real low light. I think stabilized rangefinding binos exist but they are like $10k+ and super giant. I also think the laser has to be stabilized along with the image so it’s a lot more difficult and might be a while till there are some affordable options especially with decent glass. I’ve been using the revic BR4 because I don’t want 2 sets of binos and I’ve been real happy with it

Reactions: carbonbased