• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Binoculars for Spotting with Eyeglasses

eazy

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys,

I'm looking for set of high magnification binoculars for spotting hits on a tripod. I currently have a set of Maven C.1 10x42s that I like for general use and a cheap 18-36x Bushnell spotting scope I'd like to replace for long distance spotting.

I like the idea of investing in a set of 15x or 18x binoculars as opposed to a spotting scope to reduce eye fatigue. I also wear eyeglasses so I'm looking for binoculars with long eye relief.

My local range is 850 yards but I occasionally take classes at a 1400 yard range.

What binoculars do you all recommend?

I've been eyeing the Maven B.5 in 15x56 or 18x56. The 15x56 has 17.8mm of eye relief and the 18x56 has 18mm of eye relief. My C.1 10x42s have 16mm of eye relief and I do have some tunneling with my glasses.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Bushnell Forge 15x56 has the longest, and best, eye relief out of any bino I've used with my Rx glasses. It is the only bino I've used where I can see edge-to-edge FOV with the cups pushed in. I am confident in saying the Swaro SLC 15x56 has superior glass, but my FOV is reduced with the Swaros so the Bushnell Forge easily beats it with FOV.

If you have a large budget, the Swaro BTX dual-eyepiece spotting scope is UNREAL. Long eye relief for Rx glasses, insane DOF and clarity, great FOV. One guy has one that I usually squad with, and I call it the "Hubble" haha. It's amazing watching trace turn into bullet splash on steel with that setup.

Reactions: eazy
Bushnell Forge 15x56 has the longest, and best, eye relief out of any bino I've used with my Rx glasses. It is the only bino I've used where I can see edge-to-edge FOV with the cups pushed in. I am confident in saying the Swaro SLC 15x56 has superior glass, but my FOV is reduced with the Swaros so the Bushnell Forge easily beats it with FOV.

If you have a large budget, the Swaro BTX dual-eyepiece spotting scope is UNREAL. Long eye relief for Rx glasses, insane DOF and clarity, great FOV. One guy has one that I usually squad with, and I call it the "Hubble" haha. It's amazing watching trace turn into bullet splash on steel with that setup.

How far do you guys kick out to, and would you go with the BTX over binos?

How far do you guys kick out to, and would you go with the BTX over binos?
Our club matches in WI are more “field” type matches, so no dirt berms to see splash. Most matches go out to 800yds, but an occasional club match and the Barrel Maker Classic PRS match go to 1350yds.

If you have to lug the thing around, pack it up a mountain, or anything crazy like that, binos might be the way to go. But if you have the funds, and don’t mind the larger/heavier footprint, the BTX setup is unparalleled. Seriously.
The only real downside other than the size of the BTX (compared to binos) is they are either a fixed 30x or 35x, so the FOV is tighter than with binos so if you’re scanning for multiple targets at a match or for hidden targets, you’ll be at a disadvantage being so far zoomed in.

Reactions: frost1235
At the more extreme of 1350, with no dirt berm, are you able to see enough info to make adjustments with the binos?

Our club matches in WI are more “field” type matches, so no dirt berms to see splash. Most matches go out to 800yds, but an occasional club match and the Barrel Maker Classic PRS match go to 1350yds.

If you have to lug the thing around, pack it up a mountain, or anything crazy like that, binos might be the way to go. But if you have the funds, and don’t mind the larger/heavier footprint, the BTX setup is unparalleled. Seriously.
The only real downside other than the size of the BTX (compared to binos) is they are either a fixed 30x or 35x, so the FOV is tighter than with binos so if you’re scanning for multiple targets at a match or for hidden targets, you’ll be at a disadvantage being so far zoomed in.

At the more extreme of 1350, with no dirt berm, are you able to see enough info to make adjustments with the binos?
The best you can really hope for with 15x binos at 1350yds is seeing the target indicator flashing, and *maybe* seeing a splash if the target is freshly painted and there’s no mirage.

Reactions: frost1235
Thank you SO MUCH. Months of reading with questions in mind solved!

The best you can really hope for with 15x binos at 1350yds is seeing the target indicator flashing, and *maybe* seeing a splash if the target is freshly painted and there’s no mirage.

The Bushnell Forge 15x56 are coming with a legit tripod kit bag with purchase right now. Sounds like it checks off your needs quite well. Twist down the eyecups for viewing with glasses & you're set.

Bino: https://www.bushnell.com/binoculars/long/forge-15x56-binoculars/BU-BF1556T.html

Bag: https://www.bushnell.com/additional-products/optic-stabilizing/tactical-kit-bag/BU-84002.html

Add bino into cart, bag drops in automatically at no cost. We extended this promo to 5/15 FYI, and it includes those in the VIP.