• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Binos for PRS out to 500M

Heffo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2018
NSW Australia
Hey all, I know this has been discussed a bit, and I have read everything I can…..but confusion has set in and it’s starting to do my head in. I’m in Australia, PRS I shoot is on 500 metre flat ranges pretty much. Looking to invest in some binos to sit back and observe shooters when I can. Don’t really need Range finding ones as others set up and check ranging. Been told nah need 15x this and that….and super expensive…. But do I? 10x suffice or better to go higher? You guys have been doing this a lot longer in the US. I’m willing to spend whatever….but just not unnecessarily if I don’t have too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just thought this a bit of a different question as only out tho 500m and generally flat terrain. Cheers.

Reactions: JayseM_SportOptics
Hey all, I know this has been discussed a bit, and I have read everything I can…..but confusion has set in and it’s starting to do my head in. I’m in Australia, PRS I shoot is on 500 metre flat ranges pretty much. Looking to invest in some binos to sit back and observe shooters when I can. Don’t really need Range finding ones as others set up and check ranging. Been told nah need 15x this and that….and super expensive…. But do I? 10x suffice or better to go higher? You guys have been doing this a lot longer in the US. I’m willing to spend whatever….but just not unnecessarily if I don’t have too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just thought this a bit of a different question as only out tho 500m and generally flat terrain. Cheers.
The distance in a way is sort of irrelevant, the main issue is the targets are the same ±2MOA target-sizes. If you have the budget, just buy the 15x versions. If you don't have the budget, its a very complex set of tradeoffs, similar to picking "one gun to shoot PRS and do mountain hunting".

Reactions: Heffo
The distance in a way is sort of irrelevant, the main issue is the targets are the same ±2MOA target-sizes. If you have the budget, just buy the 15x versions. If you don't have the budget, its a very complex set of tradeoffs, similar to picking "one gun to shoot PRS and do mountain hunting".
Been reading the Bushnell forge 15x do a great job. Is this good enough or do I go like a Zeus’s conquest 15x. Price wise over here….. Bushnell forge 15x $1400, Steiner 15x $1899, Zeus’s conquest $2600, Swarovski 15x SLC $3400, Leica geovid 15x $3500-4K. I guess smart thing is to buy best I can afford.

Reactions: Lightning8
I've been using both the Zeiss Conquest 15x56 and the Vortex Razor UHD 18x56 for a while now and have been extremely pleased with both, especially for the price. I've messed with pretty much all of them though, and you can certainly make the argument that the SLC 15x56 is probably the one with the best glass, but I don't know if I'd say it's worth the price jump over the other options. But if you're wanting the best, I'd say that's it. The Meopta Meostar 15x56 is no slouch either. I'd say it falls somewhere between the Swaro and the other two both in quality and in price. The Geovids are cool if you want the addition of the range finder, but optically aren't going to be what any of the other options are.

Bushnell 15x or Swarwos, everything in-between is bla... I have 2 sets of SLCs that I love, but man the Bushnell 15x are nice too. Not Swarwo nice but I use them every day at the house.

10x binos will be fine.
The last 2 day match I shot was out to 1100m on one day and 700m the next.

The 900m+ targets where very difficult to spot with anything but very high end spotters due to lots of mirage.

The 2nd day was wet/overcast and spotting everything with 10x bino was fine other than my 223 on some long targets.

Reactions: kthomas and Heffo
I have used the Bushnell Forge 15x56 for 2 seasons now - they punch way above their price range. Multiple people have commented on the quality when they look through mine at matches.

I purchased the Forge 15x56 ($599 US) three years ago for a trial run before committing to Swarovski's. They have served me well, especially with a pro discount. A lot of folks have looked through them at matches and turned around and purchased their own. When it is time to step up, I will take a look at Meopta Meostar as well as the Swarovski. I have heard from some credible eyes that the Meopta 15x56 ($1599 US) compares very favorably to the Swarovski ($2649 US).

10x will work fine at those ranges for PRS stuff.

Spend the money on better glass over more power. If you can't afford something like the Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56, Meopta Meostar 15x56, or Swaro's in 15x, then get a high quality 10X.

A great deal in this category is the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 - it's not uncommon for CameralandNY to have an open box special on these for less than $1k (USD). Not sure if they ship to Australia though.

You can also save some money by buying used. But if you are monetarily constrained, then choose quality over power.