• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Binos for spotting long range 22lr

MDrimfirerookie

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
I'm looking at getting a pair of binos for spotting. I've looked through a few 10x and they aren't very good at 200 and 300 yards. I've narrowed it down to the Bushnell Forge 15x, the Athlon Cronus 15x and Vortex Kaibab 18x. All are roughly gonna cost the same since I have a 50% off Vortex cert I need to use.

I know the Forge gets a lot of love on here for the price point but would it be worth it to jump to the 18x for spotting rimfire rounds.

Last, I don't want to be rude but please don't suggest something else up over $1000. I'm not looking to spend that much.

Thank you!

I'm looking at getting a pair of binos for spotting. I've looked through a few 10x and they aren't very good at 200 and 300 yards. I've narrowed it down to the Bushnell Forge 15x, the Athlon Cronus 15x and Vortex Kaibab 18x. All are roughly gonna cost the same since I have a 50% off Vortex cert I need to use.

I know the Forge gets a lot of love on here for the price point but would it be worth it to jump to the 18x for spotting rimfire rounds.

Last, I don't want to be rude but please don't suggest something else up over $1000. I'm not looking to spend that much.

Thank you!

If you are really trying to look for a 22LR at 300, impacts on steel are very weak - With your Vortex 50% cert and specific need, look at the Razor HD 65mm 22-48 (not the 20-60) and make sure whatever you use the tripod is rock solid. They are the same price as the Kaibab. You'll have a better chance of seeing the trace and impact. That said mirage can mess anything up.

The 65 is much clearer than the Razor HD 50 and brighter at max than the Swaro 65ATA with the include wide angle eye piece (not as good as the ATX though). It is one hell of a bang for the $$.

You are ALWAYS better of with better glass than just slightly higher magnification when you are trying to see small details.. Always. But again, you need to make things rock solid to see the difference.

I have owned - Razor 50,65,85/ Swaro ATA65, ATX65 & ATX85 (and a shit load of other glass). Today I have the Razor 65 and ATX 65 still (the 85s just to bulky for me).. I also have several Swaro but the 15x56 and they are my favorites.. but for your need a spotter would be a better fit. I've used the UHD 18s (not the cheap Kaibab) and they are nice. Just letting you know who that my opinion come from trying these.

Last edited:
Id recommend Vortex 15x or look into Maven. They are very impressive but Im not sure the price.

GL
DT

If you are really trying to look for a 22LR at 300, impacts on steel are very weak - With your Vortex 50% cert and specific need, look at the Razor HD 65mm 22-48 (not the 20-60) and make sure whatever you use the tripod is rock solid. They are the same price as the Kaibab. You'll have a better chance of seeing the trace and impact. That said mirage can mess anything up.

The 65 is much clearer than the Razor HD 50 and brighter at max than the Swaro 65ATA with the include wide angle eye piece (not as good as the ATX though). It is one hell of a bang for the $$.

I have owned - Razor 50,65,85/ Swaro ATA65, ATX65 & ATX85. Today I have the Razor 65 and ATX 65 still (the 85s just to bulky for me).. I also have several Swaro but the 15x56 are my favorites.. but for your need a spotter would be a better fit.

Diver - thank you for the breakdown. i used a borrowed spotter this past year and i just don't feel like looking through a single eyepiece this year. I really want to go binos but now you've got me thinking twice.

tripod wise i'm using the pig0311

Reactions: Diver160651
Diver - thank you for the breakdown. i used a borrowed spotter this past year and i just don't feel like looking through a single eyepiece this year. I really want to go binos but now you've got me thinking twice.

tripod wise i'm using the pig0311

Yep, angled spotters require time to make finding a target feel natural. Binos are more comfortable for hours on end.. But, angled spotters can help keep the sun out and reduce the tripod height helping make things much more stable. It is not only the ocular raise, but the fact that your head also lowers making a large difference in required tripod height. It can make the difference in using your shaky center column or not. Here is a photo from my yard.
Unknown-40.jpeg

As far as spotters go anything less overall quality than the HD65 is not worth the $$. Is almost 4K for the ATX worth the slightly better image? Well, for long range Elk it is to me.. But I am already so deep in the cost of the hunt lol. I do not use it for PRS style matches though.

Run far away from the Diamond Back type glass in a spotter. Most of our scopes are better. Crappy glass has given spotters a bad rap.

Before you make your purchase see if you can get behind the Razor UHD, Meostars, Swaro or other top Class Binos or spotter.. You can usually find guys running these at one of the PRS matches. Almost everyone is happy to show off their glass. For Spotters you'd have to go somewhere like Cabbalas or Scheels

I know it's out of your budget, but the drill may either help you make your decision just to stay using a 25x rifle scope, get the Razor HD65/85, maybe the cheaper glass or sell your cert and save for your dream glass. Honestly it you have a top end 25x ish rifle scope you should be able to spot 22lr impacts better than cheaper binos and that's kinda my point. If you do not have a great scope maybe money into the scope is better than getting part way there with a Daimond Back/Viper class glass.

Anyway, just stuff to think about so you can save $$ or spend them the best way for you. Only you can make up that decision. But dang I have bought and sold a lot of "almost" great and some great glass over the years.. wish I didn't or know what I know now.

Last edited:
@Diver160651 - i thank you for your input and wisdom above. i also quietly cuss/thank you simultaneously for making me think more when i thought i was out of the woods on my research.

if i'm being honest with myself. i should just table this and just continue to borrow other people's spotters. i don't really have the budget or the means for top tier glass. i'm honestly kinda stretching to get this stuff.

i don't shoot centerfire at all because i can't afford it. i only shoot NRL22 / 22lr prs style matches. but i have been behind several different brands of mid tier spotters - bushnell, leupold, vortex razor etc. i liked them but at the same time, the strain left me with headaches. not sure if it was glass quality or what but i didn't like it. i refuse to look behind top tier scopes, spotters or binos because they will NEVER be in budget for me. if i don't know what i'm missing, am i really missing it?

I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a rangefinding binos with a reticle that has top end glass. If I"m going to buy once, I want to have everything.
The new Leica 3200.com are most of the way there...

@Diver160651 - i thank you for your input and wisdom above. i also quietly cuss/thank you simultaneously for making me think more when i thought i was out of the woods on my research.

if i'm being honest with myself. i should just table this and just continue to borrow other people's spotters. i don't really have the budget or the means for top tier glass. i'm honestly kinda stretching to get this stuff.

i don't shoot centerfire at all because i can't afford it. i only shoot NRL22 / 22lr prs style matches. but i have been behind several different brands of mid tier spotters - bushnell, leupold, vortex razor etc. i liked them but at the same time, the strain left me with headaches. not sure if it was glass quality or what but i didn't like it. i refuse to look behind top tier scopes, spotters or binos because they will NEVER be in budget for me. if i don't know what i'm missing, am i really missing it?

I also shot a lot of NRL22. Not this year as I am running against going a bit too wild for to many years and my wife has rained me in big time.. so less matches.. same hunting LOL.

BTW we have a bunch of great matches if your anywhere near CA.. or UKD Team match in November is already filled up, but our PRS Pro Series next month is wide open..

MY 2 cents is if your shooting NRL22 (100yards) you do not need anything special. Larger FOV is king.. The longer side matches and for scoring the paper stage it is nice sure.. But not a big deal borrow. Usually, poor resolution, shaky platform and over magnification is the perfect storm for eye strain. My bet, is your in this camp.

Honestly, I would save my $$ - Look thru the best glass you can barrow, skip the lower end stuff and wiggly tripods and save your eyes, use their money and save yours not worrying at all that you'll not have the budget for top end stuff :)

Last edited:
I own the Razer 85 and two eyepieces. The fixed 22 MRAD and 27-60 Angled. But I admit the 15X and 20X Binos rock. I use them just as much. Use the Vortex cert or give to me. I guess now they sell 18X, perfect!

PB

Reactions: goneballistic