• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Binos or Spotter for hunting/range use

aziator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2011
AZ
www.facebook.com
I need a new set of Binoculars for hunting, the distances out here in the west are just a bit further than what I am used to in GA. I could also use a new spotting scope. I was thinking instead of getting a low/midrange spotter and low/midrange binoculars, I could possibly just pool the money and get a better spotter.

Is there something out there under $1K that will be light enough to throw in a backpack and carry around all day and easy enough to use while hunting? I am starting to shoot 1000-1500yds and would like something that is going to work at those ranges. Mil reticle would be nice but isn't an absolute necessity.

Re: Binos or Spotter for hunting/range use

If I had to chose between the two I'd get a good set of binos, especially for hunting. Much mor versitile, handy, and if I can't tell if the animal is big enough to get my interest through binos he ain't big enough.

ALthough for your budget of 1K you should be able to get some pretty decent 8x binos and a pretty decent spotting scope. They won't be ther greatest thing out there, but plenty good. My own set would fall into that category. B&L 20-60x80 elite (good glass but not the most conveniently portable) and a set of Steiner or IOR 8x binos.

Realisitcally, it sounds like you are going to need both. They really are different tools for different jobs that enjoy some overlap. The problem is that this is a specialized business...so using a spotter when you need binocs doesn't get it done, IMO.

Prioritize the binocs, though. For hunting out west, this is an essential piece of gear. You are going to need an LRF as well. Try to kill two birds with one stone, if you can, and get an integrated binoc/LRF.

I already have a LRF so that is at least done. I have an old spotter that will hold me over for the time being so Binocs it is right now. Now I just need to figure out what I want and what I can spend...

Aziator, I'm usually hunting southern AZ or just east of the valley and me personally I'd go for the binos. The last 2 trips we went on we didn't even bring the spotting scope as it just seems to take up room and rarely gets setup. I know of one guy that has converted over to a viper hd 15x50 binos with tripod as his main optic and swears by it. That could be a nice compromise for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aziator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I already have a LRF so that is at least done. I have an old spotter that will hold me over for the time being so Binocs it is right now. Now I just need to figure out what I want and what I can spend... </div></div>

This is getting easy now....get the binocs and later on you can upgrade the scope.

BTW, I still use my spotter a lot for hunting out west, but it is definitely a specialized use. The binocs don't even go in the pack....they stay handy no matter what.