• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Binos recommendation to see traces

tango11

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2020
I am planning to upgrade my binos from my Leupold BX-4. I have a pretty good discount from Vortex, Leupold and Leica, so I am looking at the Vortex Razor, Fury HD 5000, Leupold BX-5, and Leica Trinovid. Anyone has experience with these and are you able to see mirage, small vegetation movement, and bullet traces from them?

It will be both a hunting and PRS Bino and I am looking to buy a 10x42.

Last season I looked through a squad mate's 12x Razor UHD binos and was blown away.
The UHD was crisp AF.
I have a pair of Fury 5000 ABs, but the glass is not alpha level nor UHD clear, just a different tool IMHO.

Reactions: tango11
I’m a fan of Lieca, I have a set of Geovids and the glass is excellent. I have a pair of 15x Meopta Meostars as well as they are excellent as well. Good luck

Seeing trace has as much to do with bullet size and velocity, position relative to the shooter, and atmospherics as anything but, seeing trace in Razor HD binos is as easy as it gets. I assume the UHDs are even better clarity. On the much cheaper side, I have watched a lot of trace through Bushnell Forge 15x too if you want more magnification.

Since you're going to use them hunting as well, you might consider glass with onboard LRF as well. That Fury 5000 HD plus various Leica offerings include LRF; I had the Leica Geovid HD-B 2200s and upgraded to the 3200.COMs recently, and the glass in both was stellar.

Sounds like Razor HD, UHD and Leica all have great review!

Seeing trace has as much to do with bullet size and velocity, position relative to the shooter, and atmospherics as anything but, seeing trace in Razor HD binos is as easy as it gets. I assume the UHDs are even better clarity. On the much cheaper side, I have watched a lot of trace through Bushnell Forge 15x too if you want more magnification.
What is the best position relative to the shooter?

Standing behind them, so you can see trace bend L/R.
If you get low, you can see max ord better too, but sitting isn't always possible.
Sitting behind a prone shooter is common, as is standing behind barricade benchrest shooters, lol.
At matches, there's an ever increasing sea of tripods, so the best spot is often tough to grab...

Immediately behind and in line with the direction of fire. Looking along the path of bullet travel is what you want.

Second the Swarovski SLC. Very easy to pick up mirage and trace. I could follow trace and see impacts out to 1000 yards with my 10x42s. Clarity and contrast is also much better than vortex fury and Leopold binos.

You can definitely see trace with lower tier binos though. I’ve been able to pick it up with the sig LRF binos and vortex viper binos and spotter.

I can see trace with my Athlon Cronus binos, but I _must_ be directly behind the shooter. Using my friend's Swaro EL 10x binos, I was spotting trace from any angle, at as low as 100yds. More money spent should offer you better flexibility in spotting the trace.